Non-National Travel Documents

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Non-Convention (or non-National) travel documents are travel documents issued by a country to non-citizen (also called alien) residents who:

In these cases there is no formal international agreement to regulate the issue of travel documents to these people although most countries will issue their own version of a non-convention travel document to residents. These documents broadly meet ICAO standards for international identity documents. They do not have a formal name although thy are known variously as Alien's Passports in mainland Europe and Scandinavia and as a certificate of identity in the United Kingdom, Australia and Hong Kong. The United States version of this document is called the U.S. Re-entry Permit.

Holders of these documents do not benefit from visa free travel and almost always require a visa for any country that they wish to visit.

See also[edit]