Location of Noonday, Texas
|• Total||2.0 sq mi (5.2 km2)|
|• Land||2.0 sq mi (5.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||466 ft (142 m)|
|• Density||258.6/sq mi (99.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1378760|
Noonday is perhaps best known for the "Noonday Onion," reputed to be one of the sweetest onions available. An onion must be grown within a ten mile radius of Noonday in order to be considered a "Noonday Onion". The "Noonday Onion Festival" is held each year in May.
Noonday is located at .(32.245210, -95.392567)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.0 square miles (5.2 km²), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 515 people, 206 households, and 152 families residing in the city. The population density was 258.6 people per square mile (99.9/km²). There were 222 housing units at an average density of 111.5 per square mile (43.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 93.20% White, 6.02% African American, 0.19% Native American, 0.39% Asian, and 0.19% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.50% of the population.
There were 206 households out of which 29.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.5% were married couples living together, 5.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.2% were non-families. 21.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.50 and the average family size was 2.93.
In the city the population was spread out with 25.0% under the age of 18, 4.5% from 18 to 24, 30.5% from 25 to 44, 25.8% from 45 to 64, and 14.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 85.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $51,625, and the median income for a family was $58,929. Males had a median income of $38,438 versus $23,036 for females. The per capita income for the city was $20,594. About 4.6% of families and 8.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.4% of those under age 18 and 8.3% of those age 65 or over.
The City of Noonday is served by the Tyler Independent School District.
- 2003: In one of the largest domestic War on Terror investigations in the United States since the Oklahoma City bombing, William Krar and Judith Bruey were arrested and authorities seized nearly two pounds of cyanide, half a million rounds of ammunition, and a variety of bombs and other weapons.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- News account of Noonday arrests in 2003