Norcatur's 1937 city hall is listed in the National Register of Historic Places
Location within Decatur County (left) and Kansas
|• Total||0.99 sq mi (2.56 km2)|
|• Land||0.99 sq mi (2.56 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||2,644 ft (806 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||147|
|• Density||152.5/sq mi (58.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|FIPS code||20-50925 |
|GNIS feature ID||0471026 |
Norcatur was founded in 1885. Norcatur was named from its location near the border between Norton and Decatur counties.
The first post office in Norcatur was established in October, 1885.
As of the census of 2010, there were 151 people, 74 households, and 40 families residing in the city. The population density was 152.5 inhabitants per square mile (58.9/km2). There were 101 housing units at an average density of 102.0 per square mile (39.4/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 98.7% White and 1.3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.0% of the population.
There were 74 households of which 12.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 43.2% were married couples living together, 6.8% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.1% had a male householder with no wife present, and 45.9% were non-families. 40.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.04 and the average family size was 2.73.
The median age in the city was 51.3 years. 17.9% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.2% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 14.6% were from 25 to 44; 33.8% were from 45 to 64; and 26.5% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 56.3% male and 43.7% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 169 people, 81 households, and 54 families residing in the city. The population density was 169.0 people per square mile (65.3/km²). There were 104 housing units at an average density of 104.0 per square mile (40.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 100.00% White.
There were 81 households out of which 17.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.5% were married couples living together, 4.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.1% were non-families. 30.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 19.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.09 and the average family size was 2.58.
In the city the population was spread out with 16.6% under the age of 18, 2.4% from 18 to 24, 26.0% from 25 to 44, 22.5% from 45 to 64, and 32.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 51 years. For every 100 females there were 79.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $24,750, and the median income for a family was $29,792. Males had a median income of $23,125 versus $16,250 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,028. About 7.3% of families and 12.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.5% of those under the age of eighteen and 23.8% of those sixty five or over.
- National and State Registers of Historic Places: Decatur County. Kansas Historical Society. Retrieved 2014-09-14.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved September 14, 2011.
- Kansas State Historical Society (1916). Biennial Report of the Board of Directors of the Kansas State Historical Society. Kansas State Printing Plant. p. 174.
- "Kansas Post Offices, 1828-1961 (archived)". Kansas Historical Society. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Norcatur, Kansas.|
- USD 294, local school district
- Norcatur City Map, KDOT