Buenos Aires, Argentina
|Known for||Visual artist|
After completing her art education in Argentina she traveled to London, the British Council granted her a fellowship to study at the Slade School of Fine Arts. She lived in Barcelona, Spain and Florence, Italy.
Her work belong to private, public collections and museums like the MOMA, Caracas, Buenos Aires, etc.
Since 1981, lives and works in New York City.
- 1981 Teacher’s College, Sculpture, Columbia University, NY.
- 1972 The Slade School of Fine Art, London University, London, England.
- 1967 Master of Fine Arts, Academia de Artes Visuales. Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Solo museums exhibitions
- 1999 Works 1989-1999, Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- 1987 Selvaggia and Uccello, Museu do Arte do São Paulo, Aussis Chateubriand, São Paulo, Brazil
- 1988 Selvaggia and Uccello, Palais de Glace, Salas Nacionales, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- 1978 The Eye of the Melancholy, Museum of Fine Arts, Caracas, Venezuela.
- 2009 Visions, Arden Gallery, Boston, MA
- 2006 Rhythm and Order, Arden gallery, Boston, MA
- 2005 Norma Bessouet Reveries, Kouros Gallery, New York, NY
- 2004 The Journey: Arden Gallery, Boston, MA
- 2002 India, Arden Gallery, Boston, MA
- 1999 Memories and Dreams, Arden Gallery, Boston, MA
- 1994 The World of Anna, Fundacion Previsora Gallery, Caracas, Venezuela
- 1992 The World of Anna, Arden Gallery, Boston, MA
- 1991 Norma Bessouet, Pindar Gallery, New York, NY
- 1989 Selvaggia and Uccello, Arden Gallery & Harvard University, Boston, MA
- 1986 Norma Bessouet, Terne Gallery, New York, NY
- 1983 Figures and Silences, Ivonne Seguy Gallery, New York, NY
Grants and awards
- 2001 Fifth prize, Biennale Internazionale dell Arte Contemporanea, Florence, Italy
- 2002 Residence at Sanskriti Pratishthan, New Delhi, India
- 1999 Grant from The Pollock- Krassner Foundation
- 1992 Travel Grant from Hilwood Art Museum
- 1991 Grant from The Pollock-Krassner Foundation
- 1989 Grant from The Pollock-Krassner Foundation
- 1989 Award of Excellence, Drawing, National Works on Paper Competition, Nassau Community College, New York, NY
- 1989 Edition Purchase Award, Lithography, Cartón de Venezuela, Caracas, Venezuela
- 1984 Ralph Fabrie Award, Drawing, National Academy of Design, New York, NY
- 1983 Honorable Mentión, Drawing, International Drawing Biennal, Maldonado, Uruguay
- 1981 Fellowship, Spanish and North American Committee Research in sculptural technique, Columbia University, New York, NY
- 1980 Fellowship, "New Expressive Forms," Sculpture, Ministerio de Cultura, Spain
- 1980 Honorable Mention, Painting, Biennal Puerto Principe, Málaga, Spain
- 1975 Purchase Award, First Prize, Drawing, International Drawing Biennal of Sports in Fine Arts, Barcelona, Spain
- 1972 Fellowship by The British Council, The Slade School of Fine Arts, University College, London, England
- 1971 Purchase Award, Grand Prize of Honor, Drawing, Salón Nacional, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- 1971 Honorable Mention and Purchase Prize, Painting Salón Nacional de Tucumán, Argentina
- 1970 Gold Medal Prize. Drawing, Salón Nacional de Tucumán, Argentina
- 1970 Purchase Award, First Prize, Drawing, Salón Nacional Buenos Aires, Argentina
- 1969 Second Prize, Salón Sha, Sociedad Hebraica, Buenos Aires, Argentina. Drawing.
- 1968 First Honorable Mention, Salón Dorado, La Plata, Argentina. Painting.
- 1967 First Prize, Acquisition, Ministerio de Obras Públicas, Salón Primavera, La Plata, Argentina.
Bibliography and essays
- Caleb Bach, An Artist’s License to a Child’s Dream. AMERICAS, 2007 Washington DC.
- Gards Martha, Hide and Seek, Looking for “ Women” in the work of Norma Bessouet, Women Art Journal, 1992, Philadelphia,PA
- Donald Kuspit, A Betwitching Self in Enchanted Space: Norma Bessouet’s Dream’s World, 2004
- Mirna Ferrer, The Eye of the Melancholy, Museo de Bellas Artes, Caracas Venezuela, 1978