Norma Jean & Marilyn
|Norma Jean & Marilyn|
Marilyn Monroe as Norma Jean Dougherty.
|Directed by||Tim Fywell|
|Produced by||Guy Riedel|
|Written by||Anthony Summers (book)
|Music by||Christopher Young|
|Editing by||Glenn Farr|
|Release dates||May 18, 1996|
|Running time||135 minutes|
Norma Jean & Marilyn is a 1996 made-for-TV biographical film produced by HBO and premiered on May 18, 1996. The film featured Ashley Judd as Norma Jean Dougherty and Mira Sorvino as Marilyn Monroe. It was partially based on "Norma Jean: My Secret Life With Marilyn Monroe" by actor Eddie Jordan (played by Josh Charles), who claimed to have had a years-long relationship with Monroe.
The tagline for the highly fictionalized film summarizes the plot: "Marilyn Monroe was our fantasy. Norma Jean was her reality." In dream-like scenes, Monroe and her former self appear together, with Norma Jean sometimes taunting Marilyn. The original music score was composed by Christopher Young.
It was nominated for five Emmy Awards, including for both lead actresses.
- Ashley Judd as Norma Jean Dougherty
- Mira Sorvino as Marilyn Monroe
- Josh Charles as Eddie Jordan
- Ron Rifkin as Johnny Hyde
- David Dukes as Arthur Miller
- Peter Dobson as Joe DiMaggio
- Taylor Nichols as Fred Karger
- John Rubinstein as Darryl F. Zanuck
- Allan Corduner as Billy Wilder
- Lindsay Crouse as Natasha Lytess
- Dennis Bowen as Tom Kelly
- Nancy Linehan Charles as Bette Davis
- Jeffrey Combs as Montgomery Clift
- Steven Culp as Robert F. Kennedy
- Lou Cutell as Henry T. Weinstein
- Dana Goldstone as Lee Strasberg
- Micole Mercurio as Mozelle Hyde
- John Apicella as Milton R. Krasner
- Kevin Bourland as David March
One of the dresses that Sorvino wore in the movie—the one with the cherries on it, from The Misfits—was actually worn by Monroe during the filming of the original movie. Sorvino had found it while visiting a costume house in New York City looking for Marilyn costumes.