Norma Jean & Marilyn
|Norma Jean & Marilyn|
|Directed by||Tim Fywell|
|Produced by||Guy Riedel|
|Written by||Anthony Summers (book)
|Music by||Christopher Young|
|Editing by||Glenn Farr|
|Release dates||May 18, 1996|
|Running time||135 min.|
Norma Jean & Marilyn is a 1996 made-for-TV biographical film produced by HBO and premiered on May 18, 1996. The film featured Ashley Judd as Norma Jean Dougherty and Mira Sorvino as Marilyn Monroe. It was partially based on "Norma Jean: My Secret Life With Marilyn Monroe" by actor Eddie Jordan (played by Josh Charles), who claimed to have had a years-long relationship with Monroe.
The tagline for the highly fictionalized film summarizes the plot: "Marilyn Monroe was our fantasy. Norma Jean was her reality." In dream-like scenes, Monroe and her former self appear together, with Norma Jean sometimes taunting Marilyn. The original music score was composed by Christopher Young.
It was nominated for five Emmy Awards, including for both lead actresses.
- Ashley Judd – Norma Jean Dougherty
- Mira Sorvino – Marilyn Monroe
- Josh Charles – Eddie Jordan
- Ron Rifkin – Johnny Hyde
- David Dukes – Arthur Miller
- Peter Dobson – Joe DiMaggio
- Taylor Nichols – Fred Karger
- John Rubinstein – Darryl F. Zanuck
- Allan Corduner – Billy Wilder
- Dana Goldstone – Lee Strasberg
- Micole Mercurio – Mozelle Hyde
- Lindsay Crouse – Natasha Lytess
- John Apicella – Milton R. Krasner
- Kevin Bourland – David March
- Dennis Bowen – Tom Kelly
- Nancy Linehan Charles – Bette Davis
- Jeffrey Combs – Montgomery Clift
- Steven Culp – Robert F. Kennedy
- Lou Cutell – Henry T. Weinstein
One of the dresses that Sorvino wore in the movie—the one with the cherries on it, from The Misfits—was actually worn by Monroe during the filming of the original movie. Sorvino had found it while visiting a costume house in New York City looking for Marilyn costumes.