From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up normal in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Normal may refer to:
- 1 People
- 2 Psychology and social sciences
- 3 Chemistry
- 4 Education and teaching
- 5 Technology
- 6 Arts and entertainment
- 7 Mathematics
- 8 Geography
- 9 Transport
- English comedian Henry Normal
- Normality (behavior), conformance to an average
- Norm (sociology), social norms, expected patterns of behavior studied within the context of sociology
- Normal goods in economics
- Normal backwardation
- Norm, a statistical concept in psychometrics
- Normal concentration, a measure of concentration for a chemical in a solution.
Education and teaching
- Normal school, a school created to train high school graduates to be teachers
- Normal lens (photography), a lens of moderate focal length
Arts and entertainment
- Normal (2003 film), starring Jessica Lange and Tom Wilkinson
- Normal (2007 film), starring Carrie-Anne Moss, Kevin Zegers, Callum Keith Rennie and Andrew Airlie.
- Normal (2009 film), an adaptation of Anthony Neilson's 1991 play Normal: The Düsseldorf Ripper.
- Normal (album), a 2005 album by Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal
- The Normals, a Christian alternative rock band formed in 1998.
- Normal!, a 2011 Algerian film
Algebra and Number Theory
- Normal subgroup, a subgroup invariant under conjugation.
- Normal (or quasi-Galois) field extensions, splitting fields for a set of polynomials over the base field.
- Normal domain, or integrally closed domain, a ring integrally closed in its fraction field.
- Normal variety, a projective variety embedded by a complete linear system, as in Rational normal scroll (unrelated to the concept of normal scheme above)
- A Normal basis of a Galois extension, used heavily in cryptography.
- The Normal order of an arithmetic function, a type of asymptotic behavior useful in number theory.
- Normal degree of a rational curve on a surface.
- Normal number, a real number with a "uniform" distribution of digits
- Normal number (computing), a floating-point number within the balanced range supported by a given format (unrelated to the previous notion).
- A normal operator, an operator which commutes with its Hermitian adjoint. (See also normal matrix).
- Normal modes of vibration in an oscillating system
- Normal family, a pre-compact family of continuous functions.
- Surface normal, a vector perpendicular to a surface (normal vector)
- The Normal bundle, related to the preceding concept.
- Normal coordinates in differential geometry, local coordinates obtained from the exponential map.
- Normal invariants in geometric topology
- Normal polytopes in polyhedral geometry and computational commutative algebra
Logic and Foundations
- Normal or Wick order in Quantum Field Theory
Probability and Statistics
- Normal distribution, the Gaussian continuous probability distribution
- Normal (or ) spaces, topological spaces characterized by separation of closed sets.
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.