Bridwell in 2011, holding a copy of the first Clifford the Big Red Dog book.
|Born||Norman Ray Bridwell
February 15, 1928
|Died||December 12, 2014 (aged 86)
Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts
|Occupation||Writer and illustrator|
|Notable works||Clifford the Big Red Dog|
|Spouse||Norma Howard Bridwell(1958-2014; his death)|
Bridwell was born in 1928 in Kokomo, Indiana, to Leona and Vern Bridwell. He graduated from Kokomo High School in 1945, and went on to attend John Herron School of Art in Indianapolis, and Cooper Union, in New York City.
Bridwell put together a portfolio and attempted to get a job as a children's book illustrator but was rejected by around fifteen publishing houses. While at Harper & Row, an editor offhandedly suggested he turn one of his drawings into a story. The drawing was of a baby girl and a horse-sized bloodhound, and the story became Clifford The Big Red Dog. That book spawned over 40 best-selling Clifford books, two television series, merchandise, and a live musical.
Bridwell's other successful books include The Witch Next Door, and A Tiny Family. There are over 126 million copies of his books in print in 13 languages.
By 1962, Bridwell was married to his wife Norma Howard, and they had an infant daughter Emily Elizabeth, as well as a son named Timothy. At the time of his death, they had three grandchildren.
Bridwell died on December 12, 2014, at the age of 86.
- "Norman Ray Bridwell, beloved author of Clifford the Big Red Dog, dead at 86". Martha's Vineyard Times. December 16, 2014. Retrieved December 16, 2014.
- Langer, Emily (December 17, 2014). "Norman Bridwell, writer and illustrator who created Clifford the Big Red Dog, dies at 86". The Washington Post. Retrieved December 20, 2014.
- "Norman Bridwell". Amazon.com.
- "Norman Bridwell - Never Give Up on Your Dreams". Howard County Memory Project. 2009.
- "Biography: Norman Bridwell". KidsReads. The Book Report Network. 2012.
- "Program Summary: Clifford The Big Red Dog and Clifford's Puppy Days". Parents & Teachers. PBS.
- "Clifford The Big Red Dog". Shop PBS Kids. PBS.
- "Clifford The Big Red Dog Live Show". Scholastic. January 2012.
- Fretts, Bruce (September 8, 2000). "Living A Dog's Life: Norman Bridwell". Entertainment Weekly.
- Leopold, Todd (December 16, 2014). "Norman Bridwell, creator of 'Clifford the Big Red Dog,' dead at 86". CNN. Retrieved December 18, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Norman Bridwell.|
- Norman Bridwell at the Internet Movie Database
- Norman Bridwell at Library of Congress Authorities, with 151 catalog records