Norristown Transportation Center
|Norristown Transportation Center
SEPTA rapid transit and regional rail station
A Manayunk/Norristown Line train passes under the Norristown High Speed Line platforms
|Address||DeKalb & East Lafayette Streets
|Connections|| SEPTA Suburban Bus 90, 91, 93, 96, 97, 98, 99, 131
Schuylkill River Trail
|Platforms||2 side platforms (regional rail)
1 island platform (NHSL)
|Tracks||2 (regional rail)
|Parking||520 space parking garage
136 Free surface parking
44 with Permits
|Bicycle facilities||Yes (4 racks)|
|Fare zone||3 (Regional Rail)|
Norristown Transportation Center is a two-level multimodal public transportation regional hub located in Norristown, Pennsylvania and operated by SEPTA. It opened in 1989 to replace the older Norristown High Speed Line (Route 100) terminus one block away at Main and Swede Streets, and integrated the former Reading Company DeKalb Street Norristown railroad station (built 1933) into its structure. A plaque embedded in the sidewalk (between the bus lane and Lafayette Streets) commemorates the location of one of the columns of the dismantled segment of the Philadelphia and Western Railroad (P&W) trestle.
Today, Norristown Transportation Center (NTC) is the final stop on the Norristown High Speed Line which runs from 69th Street Transportation Center in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania to Norristown. It is also a stop on the Manayunk/Norristown Regional Rail Line which offers service to Center City Philadelphia via Conshohocken and Manayunk. In FY 2013, the regional rail service at Norristown Transportation Center had a weekday average of 848 boardings and 799 alightings.
In addition to rail service, NTC serves as the center of SEPTA's Frontier Division, particularly the routes operating in Montgomery County. Bus routes serving NTC operate with a "timed transfer"; for the most part, buses leave at the same time, to maximize possible transfers between routes. These routes serve areas of Norristown and other areas in Montgomery County.
SEPTA Frontier routes that serve Norristown Transportation Center are:
- 90 - to Plymouth Meeting Mall via Penn Square
- 91 - to Graterford State Prison via Eagleville (Saturdays only)
- 93 - to Pottstown via Collegeville and Philadelphia Premium Outlets
- 96 - to Lansdale via Montgomery Mall and North Wales
- 97 - to Chestnut Hill via Barren Hill and Conshohocken
- 98 - to Plymouth Meeting Mall via Blue Bell
- 99 - to Phoenixville via King of Prussia, Audubon and Oaks
- 131 - to Audubon and Valley Forge Corporate Complex via Jeffersonville
Additionally, Norristown Transportation Center was formerly an important transfer point between electric and Budd Rail Diesel Car (RDCs) service to points north, such as Valley Forge, Phoenixville, Pottstown, Reading and Pottsville. RDC service was eliminated in 1981 due to budget cuts. Proposals for service restoration to Reading, dubbed the Schuylkill Valley Metro, have been floated around since the late 1990s, but nothing has gone past the discussion phase.
- PDF (539 KB)
- "SEPTA unveils new Norristown parking garage". 2008-04-07. Retrieved 2008-04-09.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2013)|
Media related to Norristown Transportation Center at Wikimedia Commons
- SEPTA - Norristown Transportation Center
- Norristown Transportation Center (The Subway Nut)
- DeKalb Street entrance from Google Maps Street View