North, South Carolina
|North, South Carolina|
Location in Orangeburg County, South Carolina
|• Total||0.9 sq mi (2.2 km2)|
|• Land||0.9 sq mi (2.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||279 ft (85 m)|
|• Density||956/sq mi (369.3/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1231596|
North is located at (33.615983, -81.103588).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.9 square miles (2.3 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 813 people, 356 households, and 223 families residing in the town. The population density was 953.7 people per square mile (369.3/km²). There were 412 housing units at an average density of 483.3 per square mile (187.1/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 52.64% White, 46.37% African American, 0.37% Native American, and 0.62% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.86% of the population.
There were 356 households out of which 25.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 38.5% were married couples living together, 19.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.1% were non-families. 34.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.28 and the average family size was 2.94.
In the town the population was spread out with 23.5% under the age of 18, 9.7% from 18 to 24, 23.1% from 25 to 44, 25.3% from 45 to 64, and 18.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 80.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 74.7 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $21,136, and the median income for a family was $30,750. Males had a median income of $24,286 versus $21,406 for females. The per capita income for the town was $14,237. About 27.5% of families and 30.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 39.3% of those under age 18 and 24.2% of those age 65 or over.
- Singer and actress Eartha Kitt was born in North.
- Knifemaker Blackie Collins lived and died in North.
- NFL Player and Super Bowl XXXVII Champion Chuck Darby was born in North.
- Freddie Martino, NFL player
- Hotel Specialist Leslie Murray lives in North.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Symons, Mitchell (8 November 2012). The Bumper Book For The Loo: Facts and figures, stats and stories – an unputdownable treat of trivia. Transworld. pp. 270–. ISBN 978-1-4481-5271-1.