North American Association of Central Cancer Registries
|state and provincial cancer registry.|
North American Association of Central Cancer Registries, Inc. (NAACCR)
Established in 1987, NAACCR, Inc. is a collaborative umbrella organization for cancer registries, governmental agencies, professional associations, and private groups in North America interested in enhancing the quality and use of cancer registry data. All central cancer registries in the United States and Canada are members.
The North American Association of Central Cancer Registries, Inc. (NAACCR) is a professional organization that develops and promotes uniform data standards for cancer registration; provides education and training; certifies population-based registries; aggregates and publishes data from central cancer registries; and promotes the use of cancer surveillance data and systems for cancer control and epidemiologic research, public health programs, and patient care to reduce the burden of cancer in North America.
Leadership and Committees
Data Evaluation and Certification Committee
Data Use and Research Committee
Information and Technology Committee
Registry Operations Committee
Uniform Data Standards Committee
Ad Hoc Committees
Other Special Committees
Cancer Registration Steering Committee
Institutional Review Board
Scientific Editorial Board
Sponsoring Member Organizations
NAACCR is sponsored by ten member organizations, which participate in quarterly Sponsoring Member Organization meetings and provide input on NAACCR’s cancer surveillance activities:
American Cancer Society
American College of Surgeons
American Joint Committee on Cancer
Canadian Partnership Against Cancer
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
College of American Pathologists
National Cancer Institute
National Cancer Registrars Association
Public Health Agency of Canada
Cancer Data Standards
One of NAACCR’s first goals was to achieve consensus on cancer registration standards among the many standard-setting organizations in the United States and Canada, in order to facilitate compilation and comparison of information across different registries. Today, nearly all registries in North America have adopted the NAACCR consensus standards. NAACCR updates these standards annually to meet the changing needs of the registry community.
Every year, NAACCR issues a call for data from its registry members. These data are evaluated for accuracy and compiled into analytic files to produce CINA, an annual statistical monograph of cancer incidence in the United States and Canada; CINA+ Online, an online query system of cancer incidence data for the previous five years from selected member registries; and CINA Deluxe, a data file for NAACCR researchers to conduct cancer surveillance systems. NAACCR also collaborates with other cancer organizations to produce the Annual Report to the Nation on the Status of Cancer.
Education and Training
In order to develop and maintain the skills and knowledge of cancer reporters in North America, NAACCR creates and releases training workshops, resource materials, and continuing education opportunities. These include online webinars, in-person workshops, scholarships and grants, and other resources. Since its inception, NAACCR has also hosted an annual meeting, focusing on a different theme each year.
- American Cancer Society
- American College of Surgeons
- American Joint Committee on Cancer
- Canadian Partnership Against Cancer
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Program of Cancer Registries
- College of American Pathologists
- International Agency for Research on Cancer
- National Cancer Institute
- National Cancer Registrars Association
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- "NAACCR". About NAACCR. Retrieved 2010-06-16.
- "Technical Notes: Collaborating Partner: NAACCR". CDC. Retrieved 2010-06-16.
- "SEER Training Modules: NAACCR". SEER. Retrieved 2010-06-16.
- "Health Information Resource Database: NAACCR". NHIC. Retrieved 2010-06-16.
- "NAACCR Board". NAACCR. Retrieved 2010-06-16.
- "NAACCR Committees". NAACCR. Retrieved 2010-06-16.
- "NAACCR Standards". NAACCR. Retrieved 2010-06-16.
- "Cancer Research Brochure". NAACCR. Retrieved 2010-06-16.
- "Annual Report to the Nation on the Status of Cancer". NAACCR. Retrieved 2010-06-16.
- "NAACCR Annual Conference". NAACCR. Retrieved 2010-06-16.