North American Power
|Trading name||North American Power|
|Industry||Electricity and natural gas supplier|
|Headquarters||Norwalk, Connecticut, United States|
|Area served||North America|
|Key people||Kerry Breitbart (CEO)
Carey Turnbull (Chairman)
North American Power is a retail energy supplier based in Norwalk, Connecticut.
North American Power was founded in 2009 by Kerry Breitbart and Carey Turnbull. The company provides electricity and natural gas to residential and commercial customers in select deregulated energy states. The company also sells Renewable Energy Certificates in all 50 states through their American Wind program. In 2011, North American Power added a direct selling channel, and as of April 2014, they are #47 on the Direct Selling News Global 100.
Maryland Public Service Commission
On June 9, 2011, the company was fined $100,000 by the Maryland Public Service Commission over misleading sales practices. On August 16, 2013, the commission closed the file after finding that the company had completed the required remedial measures it had agreed to. In a statement, CEO Kerry Breitbart said, "While the fine is significant, we are grateful to the PSC staff for bringing our attention to these matters and for acknowledging that this was not intentional — it was the result of an early stage company experiencing rapid growth. This process has caused us to re-examine our practices and hire some of the best compliance and energy experts in the business — we are a better company because of it."
Awards and recognition
The company has also received several Stevie Awards in 2012 and 2013, and CEO Kerry Breitbart received the 2012 Gold Stevie Award for Executive of the Year in the Energy & Utilities category.
- Gregg, Jeremy (2 July 2013). "North American Power: Kilowatts into Kindness". DSN. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- "North American Power opens Norwalk HQ". Hartford Business. 22 May 2013. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- Lee, Richard (August 9, 2011). "North American Power launches wind energy offering". Stamford Advocate.
- Maykuth, Andrew (December 27, 2010). "Choosing renewable energy can now save money as well as power". The Inquirer (Philadelphia).
- "DSN Global 100". DSN. 30 April 2014. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- Mook, Ben (June 13, 2011). "PSC fines energy seller $100K for deceptive practices". Daily Record (Baltimore, Maryland).
- "Case Number: 9253 IN THE MATTER OF THE COMPLAINT OF THE STAFF OF THE PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION AGAINST NORTH AMERICAN POWER AND GAS, LLC". Maryland Public Service Commission. Retrieved September 21, 2013.
- "Order No. 85794". Maryland Public Service Commission. August 16, 2013. Retrieved September 21, 2013.
- Mook, Ben (13 June 2011). "PSC fines energy seller $100K for deceptive practices". The Daily Record. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- "Forbes - North American Power". Forbes. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- "Company / Organization Awards Category Stevie Award Winners". Stevie Award. 18 June 2012. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- "Company / Management Awards Category Stevie Award Winners & Finalists". The American Business Awards. 17 June 2013. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "Management Awards Categories Stevie Award Winners". The American Business Awards. 17 June 2013. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- "Company / Management Awards Category Stevie Award Winners & Finalists". The American Business Awards. 18 June 2012. Retrieved 24 April 2014.