North American Power
|Trading name||North American Power|
|Industry||Electricity and natural gas supplier|
|Headquarters||Norwalk, Connecticut, United States|
|Area served||North America|
|Key people||Kerry Breitbart (CEO)
Carey Turnbull (Chairman)
North American Power is a retail energy supplier based in Norwalk, Connecticut.
North American Power was founded in 2009 by Kerry Breitbart and Carey Turnbull. The company provides electricity and natural gas to residential and commercial customers in select deregulated energy states. The company also sells Renewable Energy Certificates in all 50 states through their American Wind program. In 2011, North American Power added a direct selling channel, and as of June 2013, they are #68 on the Direct Selling News Global 100.
In April 2011, the company launched its Mission to Millions program, an ongoing philanthropic initiative that allows customers to direct $1 from North American Power’s funds to charities each month when they pay their bill. In 2011, the company donated more than $500,000 to partner organizations, including Action Against Hunger, Malaria No More, Save the Children, Keep America Beautiful and Little Kids Rock.
Maryland Public Service Commission
On June 9, 2011, the company was fined $100,000 by the Maryland Public Service Commission over misleading sales practices. On August 16, 2013, the commission closed the file after finding that the company had completed the required remedial measures it had agreed to. In a statement, CEO Kerry Breitbart said, "While the fine is significant, we are grateful to the PSC staff for bringing our attention to these matters and for acknowledging that this was not intentional — it was the result of an early stage company experiencing rapid growth. This process has caused us to re-examine our practices and hire some of the best compliance and energy experts in the business — we are a better company because of it."
Awards and recognition
The following is the list of awards received:
- 2011 - #57 on Forbes' list of America's Most Promising Companies
- 2012 - Gold Stevie Award - Company of the Year - Energy
- 2012 - Gold Stevie Award - Executive of the Year - Energy & Utilities, CEO Kerry Breitbart
- 2013 - Silver Stevie Award - Corporate Social Responsibility Program of the Year
- 2013 - Gold Stevie Award - Management Team of the Year - Consumer Services Industries
- Gregg, Jeremy (2 July 2013). "North American Power: Kilowatts into Kindness". DSN. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- "North American Power opens Norwalk HQ". Hartford Business. 22 May 2013. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- Lee, Richard (August 9, 2011). "North American Power launches wind energy offering". Stamford Advocate.
- Maykuth, Andrew (December 27, 2010). "Choosing renewable energy can now save money as well as power". The Inquirer (Philadelphia).
- "DSN Global 100". DSN. 1 June 2013. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- "New Natural Gas Supplier Gives $5,000 to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta and Promises to Continue Giving In Line with Growth". NAP. 17 June 2013. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- "NAP Charity Partners". NAP. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- Mook, Ben (June 13, 2011). "PSC fines energy seller $100K for deceptive practices". Daily Record (Baltimore, Maryland).
- "Case Number: 9253 IN THE MATTER OF THE COMPLAINT OF THE STAFF OF THE PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION AGAINST NORTH AMERICAN POWER AND GAS, LLC". Maryland Public Service Commission. Retrieved September 21, 2013.
- "Order No. 85794". Maryland Public Service Commission. August 16, 2013. Retrieved September 21, 2013.
- Mook, Ben (13 June 2011). "PSC fines energy seller $100K for deceptive practices". The Daily Record. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- "Forbes - North American Power". Forbes. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- "Company / Organization Awards Category Stevie® Award Winners". Stevie Award. 18 June 2012. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- "Company / Management Awards Category Stevie® Award Winners & Finalists". The American Business Awards. 18 June 2012. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "Company / Management Awards Category Stevie® Award Winners & Finalists". The American Business Awards. 17 June 2013. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "Management Awards Categories Stevie® Award Winners". The American Business Awards. 17 June 2013. Retrieved 19 November 2013.