North Bay/Jack Garland Airport
|North Bay Airport
North Bay/Jack Garland Airport
|IATA: YYB – ICAO: CYYB
– WMO: 71731
|Owner||Municipality of North Bay|
|Operator||North Bay Jack Garland Airport Corporation|
|Serves||North Bay, Ontario|
|Time zone||EST (UTC−05:00)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC−04:00)|
|Elevation AMSL||1,215 ft / 370 m|
|Source: Canada Flight Supplement
Movements from Statistics Canada
North Bay Airport or North Bay/Jack Garland Airport (IATA: YYB, ICAO: CYYB) in North Bay, Ontario, Canada is located at Hornell Heights, 4 nautical miles (7.4 km; 4.6 mi) north-northeast of the city. The airport serves as a North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) base.
The airport is named in memory of Jack Garland, a longtime Member of Parliament for North Bay's Nipissing electoral district. Until 2004 it hosted an annual airshow during North Bay's Heritage Festival, with a large military component.
The airport is classified as an airport of entry by NAV CANADA and is staffed by the Canada Border Services Agency. CBSA officers at this airport can handle general aviation aircraft only, with no more than 15 passengers.
The city has owned the airport since 1998 after transfer from Transport Canada and North Bay Jack Garland Airport Corporation has run it since 2003.
Airlines and destinations
|Air Canada Express||Toronto–Pearson|
|Bearskin Airlines||Kapuskasing, Sault Ste. Marie, Sudbury, Thunder Bay, Timmins|
|Sunwing Airlines||Seasonal: Varadero, Santa Clara|
|FedEx Express operated by Morningstar Air Express||Toronto-Pearson|
- Latitude/longitude: 46° 21' 50" north, 079° 25' 27" west
- Elevation: 1,215 ft (370 m) AMSL
- Magnetic variation: 12° west
The first terminal was constructed in 1938 to house a small waiting area on the ground floor and control tower on the second. Upgrades after World War II led to the second terminal being built in 1963. The second terminal has been renovated (completed 2010) to accommodate sole civilian use since 2006.
- Three gates
- Six airline check-in counters
- Rental car kiosk
- Restaurant - Aramark Canada
- First aid station
- Baby/parent room
- Disabled access/facilities
- News stand
- Taxi stand
- National Car Rental and Enterprise Car Rental booths
The airport, operated by the North Bay Jack Garland Airport Corporation, is certified by Transport Canada.
Besides travel by car, the airport is serviced by local taxis and North Bay Transit. An outdoor parking lot next to the terminal has 100 regular and for accessible spots.
- Runway 08/26: 10,004 ft × 200 ft (3,049 m × 61 m), paved, lighted, VASI type 2 approach lighting for both ends.
- Runway 18/36: 4,492 ft × 150 ft (1,369 m × 46 m) paved, lighted, PAPI type 1 approach lighting for both ends.
- Runway 13/31: 2,500 ft × 75 ft (762 m × 23 m), turf, unlighted.
There is a glider/ski area of 2,000 ft × 75 ft (610 m × 23 m).
- Mandatory Frequency/ATF: North Bay Radio/Traffic, 118.3 MHz (very high-frequency direction finding (VDF) no longer available as of 1 January 2008)
- RCO: London Radio, 126.7 MHz
- ATIS: 124.9 MHz
- PAL: Toronto Centre, 121.225 MHz
- NDBs: YELLEK (ZYB), 404 kHz, 3.8 NM (7.0 km; 4.4 mi) 77° to airport
- VOR/DME: North Bay (YYB), 115.4 MHz/Channel 101, at airport
- ILS: Runway 08/26, 110.9 MHz
Overnight parking is available through the main airport authority.
- Weisflock Aviation (Shell): 100LL and Jet-A fuel.
- Voyageur Airport Services (Esso): Jet-A fuel only.
- Jim Albeartie;
- John Murphy;
- Dale Lalonde (1997-1998);
- John David (1998 - 1999);
- Owen Andrusiak (1999 - 2003);
- Rick Cunningham (2003 - )
- Canada Flight Supplement. Effective 0901Z 24 July 2014 to 0901Z 18 September 2014
- Synoptic/Metstat Station Information
- Total aircraft movements by class of operation — NAV CANADA flight service stations
- 22 Wing/Canadian Forces Base North Bay archives, file number W1325-1 (W Heritage)
- RCAF Station North Bay diary 1951 to 1964
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jack Garland Airport.|
- North Bay Airport at the city website
- North Bay Airport
- Past three hours METARs, SPECI and current TAFs for North Bay/Jack Garland Airport from Nav Canada as available.