North Canyon High School
|North Canyon High School|
|1700 E. Union Hills Drive
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Paradise Valley Unified School District|
|Enrollment||2,180 (October 1, 2012)|
|Color(s)||Black and Purple|
|Website||North Canyon High School|
North Canyon High School (NCHS) is a nationally recognized public high school located in north central Phoenix, Arizona and features an International Baccalaureate (IB) program. The school has approximately 2500 students. It is the largest high school by student body in its district. The school is part of the Paradise Valley Unified School District. The school athletics teams are known as the Rattlers. North Canyon's school colors are purple and black. The campus opened in the 1991-1992 school year as Paradise Valley High School before PVHS moved into their remodeled school. It became North Canyon starting in the 1993-1994 school year. The first graduating class was the class of 1997.
North Canyon features special programs in academics. In addition to its IB Diploma Programme, NCHS offers a variety of Advanced Placement classes, and many of its highest-ranking students have grade point averages above 4.0. Students have won a vast array of awards spanning from the sciences to literary honors, from a football state-championship to a sophomore tennis state-champion. Also, in the class of 2009, there were ten National Merit Semi-finalists.
North Canyon's Academic Decathlon team won the State Championship in 1995 and 1999, placing fourth and fifth, respectively, at Nationals.
In 2007, North Canyon was on Newsweek's list of top schools in the country, placing 837 in the nation out of thousands of schools.
- In 2003, the girls track and field team beat their rival Xavier, and won the Region Championship
- The Rattlers won the 5A-2 State football title the 2005/2006 season
- Sophomore tennis state-champion
- The Rattlers won the region championship in wrestling back-to-back in '08 and '09
- The Rattlers also won the region championship for badminton two years in a row in 07-08 and 08-09.
- The Rattlers won region championship for tennis 3 years in a row from 06-07, 07-08, and 08-09.
- In 2005, the Rattlers won the region championship in track & field.
- The Rattlers softball team won the region title in back-to-back years: 2008 and 2009.
- In 2010, the Rattlers won the cross country district title.
- In 2011-2013, the Rattlers won the track and field district title.
- In 2013, the Rattlers won the Cross Country District title.
The North Canyon High School Marching Band are occasionally known as the "Stars Of The North". With over 40 members, the band performs at football games, 4 contests per season and various school and community functions. It is part of North Canyon's instrumental music programs, which have been run by Mr. Dylan Suehiro since 2013. In their 2010 marching season they achieved the ranking of "Superior with Distinction" at the division 4 Arizona State Marching Band Competition with 4 caption awards: marching, overall effect, music, and percussion.In 2011, their show theme was "Batman" and they became a Division III. For their 2012 year, the show theme was "Fantasmic" . In 2013, their show theme was "Tower of Power".
- North Canyon High School main website
- North Canyon Choir Website
- North Canyon High School Choir Performing "Africa"
- North Canyon Instrumental Music