North Carolina Department of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention
The North Carolina Department of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (DJJDP) is a state agency of North Carolina, headquartered in Raleigh. The agency operates juvenile corrections facilities in the state.
The department operates nine youth development centers (YDCs) and nine youth detention centers. The YDCs are state-oriented correctional facilities that provide educational and vocational courses to youth. A youth who is of age 10 or older may be committed to a YDC for a minimum of a six month stay. The average stay of a youth in YDC is about 375 days (1 year and 10 days). The 1998 Juvenile Justice Reform Act states that only serious offenders, violent offenders, and chronic offenders may be ordered to attend YDCs. The public at times has confused the YDCs with the youth correctional facilities operated by the North Carolina Department of Correction. The detention centers are regional correctional facilities that temporarily house juveniles before they receive final placement or before they go to trial. The detention centers provide services to all counties except Durham, Forsyth, Guilford, and Mecklenburg, which operate their own regional youth detention centers.
The nine youth development centers are:
- Cabarrus Youth Development Center
- Chatham Youth Development Center
- C. A. Dillon Youth Development Center
- Dobbs Youth Development Center
- Edgecombe Youth Development Center
- Stonewall Jackson Youth Development Center
- Lenoir Youth Development Center
- Samarkand Youth Development Center
- Swann Valley Youth Development Center
Youth detention centers
The youth detention centers are:
- Alexander Juvenile Detention Center
- Buncombe Regional Juvenile Detention Center
- Cumberland Regional Juvenile Detention Center
- Gaston Regional Juvenile Detention Center
- New Hanover Regional Juvenile Detention Center
- Perquimans Juvenile Detention Center
- Pitt Regional Juvenile Detention Center
- Richmond Juvenile Detention Center
- Wake Juvenile Detention Center
The county-operated centers are the Durham County Youth Home, the Forsyth County Youth Services Center, and the Guilford County Juvenile Detention Center.
- "Contact Information." North Carolina Department of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention. Retrieved on August 8, 2010. "Physical Location: 3010 Hammond Business Place Raleigh, North Carolina 27603."
- "Detention Centers." North Carolina Department of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention. Retrieved on August 8, 2010.
- "Youth Development Centers." North Carolina Department of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention. Retrieved on August 8, 2010.