North Carolina Highway 159
|Maintained by NCDOT|
|Length:||7.3 mi (11.7 km)|
|Existed:||1975 – present|
US 220 Alt. near Seagrove
|North end:||US 64 / NC 49 in Asheboro|
NC 159 is a two-lane highway that connects nearby highways to the North Carolina Zoological Park.
Established in 1975 as a new primary route, it went from the North Carolina Zoological Park to US 64/NC 49 in Asheboro. In 1977 its southern terminus was moved to connect US 220, creating a NC 159 Spur to the park.
NC 159 Spur is planned to be extended west of its current terminus on mainline NC 159 to a planned US 64 By-Pass. Construction on the new US 64 By-Pass is scheduled to begin in 2014, with the spur extension to begin at a later date. The new connector will alleviate traffic for those going to-and-from the North Carolina Zoological Park.
The entire route is in Randolph County.
US 220 Alt. to I‑73 to I‑74 – Seagrove, Rockingham, Charlotte, Greensboro
|2.9||4.7||NC 159 – North Carolina Zoological Park|
|Asheboro||7.3||11.7||US 64 / NC 49 – Lexington, Charlotte, Ramseur, Siler City|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
North Carolina Zoological Park spur route
|Location:||North Carolina Zoological Park|
|Length:||0.7 mi (1.1 km)|
Established in 1979 when NC 159 was redirected south to US 220. Its purpose is to connect the North Carolina Zoological Park with mainline NC 159. Though not bannered along route, it is listed on state and county maps and is the only known spur route in North Carolina.
- Google Inc. "North Carolina Highway 159". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N+Carolina+159+N%2FZoo+Pkwy&daddr=35.63542,-79.78216+to:Zoo+Pkwy&hl=en&ll=35.658412,-79.809322&spn=0.117299,0.222988&sll=35.685135,-79.809065&sspn=0.014588,0.027874&geocode=FeRZHwIdqBk--w%3BFdzAHwId8J4--ym380f3ymdTiDF9lDAePrecnw%3BFUKRIAIdGDE--w&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=16&via=1&t=p&z=13. Retrieved August 25, 2012.
- "NCRoads.com: N.C. 159". Retrieved August 25, 2012.
- Staff. "NCDOT: US 64 Asheboro Bypass". North Carolina Department of Transportation. Retrieved February 19, 2013.
- North Carolina Department of Transportation (PDF). Corridor Map - US 64 Improvement Project in Asheboro (Map). http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/asheboro/download/project_map.pdf. Retrieved February 19, 2013.
- Google Inc. "North Carolina Highway 159 Spur". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Zoo+Pkwy&daddr=Zoo+Pkwy&hl=en&ll=35.635116,-79.770226&spn=0.029194,0.055747&sll=35.630835,-79.770226&sspn=0.003649,0.006968&geocode=FSa4HwIdopw--w%3BFZOtHwIdEsw--w&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=18&t=p&z=15. Retrieved August 25, 2012.
- "NCRoads.com: N.C. 159 SPUR". Retrieved August 25, 2012.
- Media related to North Carolina Highway 159 at Wikimedia Commons