North Carolina Highway System
|North Carolina Highway System|
NC primary state route shields
|Length:||79,328 mi (127,666 km)|
|Notes:||Largest state-maintained highway network in the United States; state roads maintained by the NCDOT.|
|Interstates:||Interstate X (I-X)|
|US Routes:||U.S. Highway X (US X)|
|State:||North Carolina Highway X (NC X)|
The North Carolina Highway System consists of a vast network of Interstate Highways, U.S. Routes, and state routes, managed by the North Carolina Department of Transportation. Because all roads in North Carolina are maintained by either municipalities or the state, counties do not maintain roads and there is no such thing as a "county road" within the state. As a result, North Carolina has the largest state maintained highway network in the United States.
- 1 Interstate Highways
- 2 U.S. Routes
- 3 North Carolina Highways
- 4 Bicycle routes
- 5 Toll roads and bridges
- 6 Other routes and highways
- 7 History
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
North Carolina Highways
North Carolina State Highways numbered under 1000 are primary state highways, and numbers greater than or equal to 1000 are secondary. Secondary highways are not signed with shields; regular green or white road signs are most commonly used to designate secondary roads. On these signs, the prefix "SR" for "secondary road" sometimes precedes the road number. Nearly all secondary highways also have other names, and many primary routes are also signed with other titles. North Carolina routes may be referred to as "North Carolina Highway x", "N.C. Highway x", "NC Route x", or just "NC x", where x is the route number.
A North Carolina Highway shield has the route's number in black inside a white equilateral diamond shape with rounded corners. A square of black surrounds the diamond shape. The diamond shape does not alter to accommodate larger route numbers; the numbers are reduced in size to fit within the diamond. Michigan is the only other state, aside from North Carolina, to have a near-identical route shield, but with pointed corners and an M in Michigan's shield.
Rules and exceptions
- North Carolina Highway numbers usually do not use the same as any U.S. Highway or Interstate Highway in the state. If a new highway is commissioned in North Carolina that has the same number as a North Carolina Highway, the NC route number more than likely will be changed. (Current only exceptions: NC 73 and NC 540)
Unlike highways in the primary system, secondary road numbers may be repeated multiple times throughout the system, provided that they are not repeated within the same county. For example, SR 2000 may refer to the physical roadway signed as Wake Forest Road or Falls of Neuse Road in Wake County, or it may refer to the physical roadway signed as Hickory Grove Road in Gaston County. Some road numbers are quite common. In fact, the designation SR1101 is currently used, or has in the past, been used nearly 100 times by almost every county in the state.
Secondary roads that cross a county line are generally given a new number in the new county. For example, Rustic Court is a very short road, barely one tenth of a mile in length; yet, it crosses the Durham-Orange county line. The section in Durham County (0.03 miles in length) is designated SR 2397 while the section is Orange County (0.08 miles in length) is designated SR 1604. The exception to this rule applies to roads designated SR10xx (where the x's represent additional digits) which are generally given to regionally significant roads or roads crossing one or more county lines, but which are not part of the primary system. For example, SR 1006-Old Stage Road, is located both in Wake and Harnett Counties.
The significance of secondary road numbers is almost exclusive to NCDOT operations, generally maintenance, rather than for navigational purposes by the driving public. Certainly, the secondary road numbering system is not organized to help unfamiliar motorists find their way. Rather, this is the job of the phonetic names, which are generally established at the local level, but which often share a sign with an SR designation for convenience. In many rural areas of the state, typically in the Mountain and Coastal Plain regions, many roads lack a phonetic name, in which case they are known by the SR designation.
It is not uncommon for maintenance responsibility of secondary roads to transfer from NCDOT to particular municipalities as they increase in size due to annexation. When this occurs, the SR designations are eliminated. The SR road designation is also eliminated from physical roadways that are elevated into the primary system. For example, NC 157 (Guess Road) in Durham and Person counties was once a secondary road designated SR 1008. Although it ascended into the primary system years ago, some of the old signs identifying Guess Road as SR 1008 remain.
List of primary routes
Since its establishment, there have been countless removals and reestablishment of routes in the state (check notes for current or last form count). Typically, it is one route wins favor over another; while the other route is either absorbed or downgraded to a secondary road. Added to this, there have been four events in the state that has forced route number changes/eliminations in the state: 1933–1934 elimination of duplicate and renumbering of state routes along or that share with U.S. Routes, 1937 renumbering for contiguous routes with South Carolina, 1940 renumbering for contiguous routes with Virginia and 1961 renumbering of routes that share with Interstate highways in the state.
|Number||Length (mi)||Length (km)||Southern or western terminus||Northern or eastern terminus||Formed||Removed||Notes|
|NC 2||5.5||8.9||NC 5 in Pinehurst||US 1 in Southern Pines||1934||current|
|NC 3||27.0||43.5||US 601 in Concord||NC 152 in Mooresville||2002||current||Second form.|
|NC 4||34.7||55.8||US 301 in Rocky Mount||US 158/NC 903 in Littleton||1934||current|
|NC 5||8.3||13.4||Bethesda Road in Aberdeen||NC 211 in Pinehurst||1961||current|
|NC 6||7.9||12.7||I-40/US 421 in Greensboro||I-40/I-85 Bus. in Greensboro||1959||2004||Fourth form; downgraded to secondary road.|
|NC 7||12.1||19.5||US 321 in Gastonia||US 29/US 74 in Belmont||1932||current|
|NC 8||94.6||152.2||US 52 in New London||SR 8 at the VA state line||1930||current|
|NC 9||46.5||74.8||SC 9 at the SC state line||Montreat Road in Montreat||1938||current||Second form.|
|NC 10||48.3||77.7||NC 226 in Polkville||I-40 near Catawba||1921||current|
|NC 11||193.2||310.9||US 258/US 158 Bus. in Murfreesboro||US 74/US 76 in Bolton||1921||current|
|NC 12||148.0||238.2||US 70 in Sea Level||North Beach Access Ramp in Corolla||1962||current||Second form, a National Scenic Byway.|
|NC 13||24.5||39.4||US 220 near Seagrove||US 421 in Staley||1936||1951||Third form; downgraded to secondary road.|
|NC 14||17.1||27.5||US 29 near Reidsville||NC 87 near Eden||1968||current||Second form.|
|NC 15||60.3||97.0||SC 163 at the SC state line||US 70/NC 10/NC 80 in Salisbury||1921||1934||Replaced by NC 49.|
|NC 16||143.8||231.4||NC 75 in Waxhaw||SR 16 at the VA state line||1921||current|
|NC 17||55.9||90.0||NC 113 in Propst Crossroads||US 221/US 421/NC 60 in Boone||1921||1934||Replaced by US 321.|
|NC 18||145.5||234.2||SC 18 at the SC state line||NC 89 in Lowgap||1921||current|
|NC 19||112.8||181.5||US 176 at the SC state line||US 19W/US 23 at the TN state line||1921||1934||Replaced by US 19W, US 23, US 176, US 221, NC 26 and NC 181.|
|NC 20||28.6||46.0||US 401 Bus./NC 211 in Raeford||NC 87 near Tar Heel||1934||current||Second form.|
|NC 21||155.7||250.6||US 17/NC 20 near Delco||US 15/NC 75 in Creedmoor||1921||1934||Replaced by US 15, NC 13 and NC 28.|
|NC 22||59.4||95.6||NC 2 in Southern Pines||NC 62 in Climax||1934||current||Second form.|
|NC 23||159.4||256.5||US 701 at the SC state line||NC 62 in Louisburg||1921||1934||Replaced by US 701 and NC 39.|
|NC 24||278.0||447.4||I-485 in Charlotte||US 70 in Morehead City||1921||current||Longest state highway.|
|NC 25||14.2||22.9||SC 12 at the SC state line||US 74/NC 20 in Monroe||1921||1934||Replaced by NC 75.|
|NC 26||101.4||163.2||US 29 in Grover||SR 107 at the TN state line||1934||1961||Second form; replaced by NC 226.|
|NC 27||198.0||318.7||NC 10 in Toluca||US 301/NC 50/NC 242 in Benson||1921||current|
|NC 28||81.2||130.7||SR 28 at the GA state line||US 129 in Deals Gap||1938||current||Third form.|
|NC 29||12.1||19.5||NC 16 in Gastonia||US 74/NC 20 in Belmont||1930||1932||Second form; replaced by NC 7.|
|NC 30||15.0||24.1||US 13/NC 11 in Bethel||US 264 in Pactolus||1975||current||Third form.|
|NC 31||0.5||0.8||South Street in Raleigh||Central Prison in Raleigh||1944||1978||Second form.|
|NC 32||103.5||166.6||US 17 in Washington||SR 32 at the VA state line||1921||current|
|NC 33||109.6||176.4||NC 4/NC 48 near Red Oak||Hobucken School Road in Hobucken||1929||current|
|NC 34||9.2||14.8||US 158 near Camden||NC 168 near Currituck||1979||current||Second form.|
|NC 35||20.5||33.0||NC 305 near Woodland||SR 35 at the VA state line||1940||current||Second form.|
|NC 36||4.5||7.2||US 19/US 23 near Mars Hill||US 23 near Mars Hill||1952||1975||Second form; downgraded to secondary road.|
|NC 37||48.3||77.7||NC 32 in St. Johns||US 13 in Drum Hill||1934||current|
|NC 38||5.5||8.9||SC 38 at the SC state line||US 74 Bus. in Hamlet||1937||current||Second form.|
|NC 39||78.6||126.5||US 70/US 301/NC 96 in Selma||SR 719 at the VA state line||1934||current|
|NC 40||47.9||77.1||Oak Island Drive in Oak Island||NC 210 in Bells Crossroads||1957||1961||Third form; replaced by NC 133.|
|NC 41||141.1||227.1||SC 41 at the SC state line||US 70 in Cove City||1928||current|
|NC 42||223.3||359.4||I-73/I-74/US 220 in Asheboro||NC 45 in Colerain||1921||current|
|NC 43||119.8||192.8||US 70 in New Bern||NC 58 in Warrenton||1928||current|
|NC 44||3.9||6.3||I-795 near Goldsboro||Wayne Memorial Drive near Goldsboro||2011||current||Second form; designated as Future US 70.|
|NC 45||121.7||195.9||NC 12 in Ocracoke||US 13/US 158 near Winton||1940||current|
|NC 46||16.9||27.2||NC 46 at the VA state line||US 301 near Garysburg||1930||current|
|NC 47||24.3||39.1||I-85 Bus./US 29/US 52/US 70 in Lexington||NC 49 near Denton||1972||current||Second form.|
|NC 48||53.5||86.1||US 301 Bus. in Rocky Mount||US 301 in Pleasant Hill||1934||current||Second form.|
|NC 49||177.8||286.1||SC 49 at the SC state line||SR 49/SR 96 at the VA state line||1934||current|
|NC 50||164.2||264.3||Florida Avenue in Topsail Beach||US 15/NC 56 in Creedmoor||1935||current||Second form.|
|NC 51||22.2||35.7||SC 51 at the SC state line||NC 24 in Mint Hill||1934||current||Second form.|
|NC 53||126.7||203.9||NC 24/NC 210 in Fayetteville||Gum Branch Road in Jacksonville||1923||current|
|NC 54||55.0||88.5||US 70/NC 62 in Graham||I-440/US 1 in Raleigh||1929||current||Second form.|
|NC 55||193.0||310.6||US 501 Bus. in Durham||Oriental Road in Oriental||1930||current|
|NC 56||42.8||68.9||Central Avenue in Butner||NC 58 in Castalia||1921||current|
|NC 57||43.2||69.5||NC 86 in Hillsborough||NC 62 in Milton||1921||current|
|NC 58||176.0||283.2||US 401/US 158 Bus. near Warrenton||Fort Macon State Park near Atlantic Beach||1921||current|
|NC 59||8.3||13.4||I-95 in Hope Mills||US 401 Bus. in Fayetteville||1958||current||Second form.|
|NC 60||5.1||8.2||SR 60 Spur at the GA state line||US 64/US 74 near Ranger||1934||current||Second form.|
|NC 61||19.7||31.7||NC 62 near Alamance||NC 150 in Osceola||1930||current|
|NC 62||84.4||135.8||NC 109 in Thomasville||SR 49/SR 62 at the VA state line||1921||current|
|NC 63||26.9||43.3||NC 209 in Trust||US 19/US 23/US 74A in Asheville||1929||current|
|NC 64||53.2||85.6||NC 74 near Carthage||US 421/NC 60 in Greensboro||1932||1934||Second form; replaced by NC 22.|
|NC 65||49.0||78.9||US 52 in Rural Hall||Scales Street in Reidsville||1934||current||Second form.|
|NC 66||47.4||76.3||High Point Road in Horneytown||NC 89 in Johnstown||1934||current||Second form.|
|NC 67||41.3||66.5||US 21 Bus. in Jonesville||NC 150 in Winston-Salem||1930||current||Second form.|
|NC 68||30.8||49.6||I-85 Bus./US 29/US 70 in Thomasville||US 220 in Stokesdale||1930||current||Second form.|
|NC 69||3.9||6.3||SR 17/SR 515 at the GA state line||US 64 Bus. in Hayesville||1941||current||Second form.|
|NC 70||191.0||307.4||SC 94 at the SC state line||US 29 at the VA state line||1921||1934||Replaced by US 29, US 220, NC 2, NC 41, NC 72 and NC 211.|
|NC 71||27.1||43.6||US 74 Bus./NC 130 in Maxton||US 301 near Parkton||1928||current|
|NC 72||32.9||52.9||NC 211 in Red Springs||US 74 near Orrum||1934||current||Second form.|
|NC 73||118.5||190.7||NC 27 in Boger City||US 15/US 501 near Pinehurst||1934||current|
|NC 74||0||0||NC 271 near Denver||US 15/NC 75 in Carthage||1921||1934||Replaced by NC 27 and NC 73.|
|NC 75||12.8||20.6||SC 75 at the SC state line||NC 200 in Monroe||1934||current||Second form.|
|NC 77||16.1||25.9||SC 77 at the SC state line||US 1 near Hoffman||1934||1961||Second form; replaced by NC 177.|
|NC 78||4.6||7.4||US 1/US 15/US 501 in Tramway||US 421/NC 42/NC 87 in Sanford||1940||current||Second form.|
|NC 79||8.7||14.0||SC 79 at the SC state line||US 15/US 401/US 501/US 74 Bus. in Laurinburg||1934||current|
|NC 80||40.1||64.5||US 70 in Pleasant Gardens||NC 226 in Bakersville||1940||current||Second form.|
|NC 81||4.2||6.8||US 25/NC 55 in Asheville||US 70 in Asheville||1934||current|
|NC 82||16.0||25.7||US 421 in Erwin||US 13 in Cooper||1934||current|
|NC 83||7.3||11.7||SC 83 at the SC state line||NC 130 in Seven Bridges||1937||current|
|NC 84||11.5||18.5||NC 16 in Weddington||NC 200 in Monroe||1938||current|
|NC 85||13.6||21.9||SC 85 at the SC state line||US 74 near Pee Dee||1937||1961||Replaced by NC 145.|
|NC 86||53.4||85.9||US 15/US 501/NC 54 in Chapel Hill||SR 86 at the VA state line||1940||current||Second form.|
|NC 87||236.8||381.1||NC 211 in Southport||SR 87 at the VA state line||1937||current|
|NC 88||41.3||66.5||SR 67 at the TN state line||NC 18 in Laurel Springs||1938||current|
|NC 89||61.1||98.3||US 311 in Walnut Cove||SR 89 at the VA state line||1921||current|
|NC 90||71.5||115.1||Edgemont Road in Edgemont||US 21/US 64 in Statesville||1921||current|
|NC 91||12.2||19.6||US 13/US 258/NC 903 in Snow Hill||US 264 near Walstonburg||1947||current||Second form.|
|NC 92||20.7||33.3||US 264/US 17 Bus. in Washington||NC 99/NC 306 in Gaylord||1926||current|
|NC 93||9.9||15.9||SR 93 at the VA state line||US 221 in Twin Oaks||1940||current||Third form.|
|NC 94||73.3||118.0||NC 45 in Swan Quarter||NC 32/NC 37 in Edenton||1930||current|
|NC 95||59.0||95.0||US 64/US 264 in Zebulon||NC 122 in Hobgood||1930||1961||Replaced by NC 97.|
|NC 96||107.0||172.2||NC 55 in Newton Grove||SR 49/SR 96 at the VA state line||1940||current||Second form.|
|NC 97||64.4||103.6||US 64 Bus. in Wendell||NC 122 in Hobgood||1961||current||Third form.|
|NC 98||43.7||70.3||US 15 Bus./US 70 Bus./US 501 Bus. in Durham||US 64 Alt./NC 231 in Spring Hope||1934||current||Second form.|
|NC 99||33.0||53.1||NC 92/NC 306 in Gaylord||NC 32/NC 45 near Plymouth||1940||current||Third form.|
|NC 100||12.0||19.3||US 70 in Whisett||NC 49/NC 54 in Burlington||1934||current||Second form.|
|NC 101||22.2||35.7||US 70 in Havelock||US 70 in Beaufort||1928||current||Second form.|
|NC 102||22.3||35.9||NC 903 near Ayden||US 17 near Hackney||1921||current|
|NC 103||8.3||13.4||US 52 Bus./NC 89 in Mount Airy||SR 103 at the VA state line||1940||current||Second form.|
|NC 104||6.0||9.7||NC 103 in Mount Airy||SR 773 at the VA state line||1940||current||Second form.|
|NC 105||17.7||28.5||US 221 in Linville||US 221/US 421/NC 194 in Boone||1956||current||Second form.|
|NC 106||11.2||18.0||SR 246 at the GA state line||US 64/NC 28 in Highlands||1940||current||Second form; crosses state line five times.|
|NC 107||34.8||56.0||SC 107 at the SC state line||US 23 Bus. in Sylva||1921||current|
|NC 108||22.0||35.4||US 176 in Tryon||US 221/US 221A/US 74 Bus. in Rutherfordton||1940||current||Second form.|
|NC 109||105.9||170.4||SC 109 at the SC state line||I-40/US 311 in Winston-Salem||1928||current|
|NC 110||5.5||8.9||US 276/NC 215 in Woodrow||US 19/US 23 in Canton||1932||current||Second form.|
|NC 111||126.2||203.1||US 258 in Catherine Lake||NC 11/NC 42 in Oak City||1930||current|
|NC 112||3.6||5.8||US 19/US 23 in Asheville||NC 191 in Asheville||1940||current||Second form.|
|NC 113||11.2||18.0||NC 18 in Laurel Springs||NC 93 in Piney Creek||1964||current||Third form.|
|NC 114||2.6||4.2||I-40 near Drexel||Oakland Avenue in Drexel||1930||current|
|NC 115||71.3||114.7||US 21 in Charlotte||US 421 Bus./NC 18/NC 268 in North Wilkesboro||1930||current|
|NC 116||4.1||6.6||US 23/US 441 near Dillsboro||NC 107 in Sylva||1930||current|
|NC 117||71.3||114.7||NC 102 in Newton Grove||US 70/NC 10 in Jasper||1931||1934||Replaced by NC 55.|
|NC 118||18.5||29.8||NC 11 in Grifton||NC 43 in Vanceboro||1932||current|
|NC 119||42.9||69.0||NC 54 in Swepsonville||SR 119 at the VA state line||1940||current||Second form.|
|NC 120||4.7||7.6||US 221A in Cliffside||US 74 Bus. near Mooresboro||1929||current|
|NC 121||13.1||21.1||US 264 near Fieldsboro||NC 43 in Bruce||1929||current||Second form.|
|NC 122||29.4||47.3||NC 124 in Macclesfield||NC 125 in Hobgood||1931||current|
|NC 123||10.2||16.4||NC 58 in Glenfield Crossroads||US 13/US 258 in Lizzie||1932||current|
|NC 124||9.2||14.8||NC 42 near Macclesfield||NC 42/NC 43 in Pinetops||1933||current|
|NC 125||68.7||110.6||Prison Camp Road near Williamston||NC 48 in Roanoke Rapids||1922||current|
|NC 126||23.0||37.0||US 70 in Nebo||NC 181 in Morganton||1940||current||Second form.|
|NC 127||24.6||39.6||NC 10 in Propst Crossroads||US 64/NC 90 in Ellendale||1940||current|
|NC 128||4.6||7.4||Blue Ridge Parkway||Mount Mitchell State Park||1947||current||Second form; highest elevated highway east of the Mississippi River.|
|NC 130||96.0||154.5||US 74 Bus./NC 71 in Maxton||Ocean Boulevard in Holden Beach||c. 1928||current|
|NC 131||24.5||39.4||US 701 in Whiteville||NC 87 in Tar Heel||1949||current|
|NC 132||15.3||24.6||US 117/NC 133 in Castle Hayne||US 421 near Carolina Beach||1958||current|
|NC 133||47.4||76.3||Oak Island Drive in Oak Island||NC 210 in Bells Crossroads||1962||current|
|NC 134||19.1||30.7||NC 24/NC 27/NC 109 Bus. in Troy||Dawson Miller Road near Ulah||1968||current|
|NC 135||11.5||18.5||US 220 Bus. in Mayodan||US 311/NC 770 near Eden||1967||current||Second form.|
|NC 136||2.2||3.5||US 158 near Grandy||Boat launch and lot in Poplar Beach||2004||current||Second form.|
|NC 137||8.6||13.8||US 13/US 158 near Winton||NC 37 in Gatesville||1973||current|
|NC 138||13.6||21.9||NC 742 in Gatesville||US 52 near Albemarle||1937||current|
|NC 140||0||0||US 17 near Leland||US 74/US 76 in Leland||proposed||—||Designated as Future I-140.|
|NC 141||8.7||14.0||US 64 near Murphy||US 19/US 74/US 129 in Marble||1983||current||Second form.|
|NC 142||9.2||14.8||NC 111 in Fountain Fork||NC 125/NC 903 near Hamilton||1975||current|
|NC 143||38.3||61.6||SR 165 at the TN state line||NC 28 near Stecoah||1979||current||A National Scenic Byway.|
|NC 144||12.0||19.3||Future I-74/US 74 in Laurel Hill||US 401 in Wagram||2001||current||Third form.|
|NC 145||13.6||21.9||SC 145 at the SC state line||US 74 near Pee Dee||1961||current|
|NC 146||3.5||5.6||NC 191 near Avery Creek||US 25 in Skyland||1991||current|
|NC 147||15.7||25.3||NC 540 in Morrisville||I-85 in Durham||1987||current||Second form, part of the Triangle Expressway.|
|NC 148||4.3||6.9||US 70 near Kinston||NC 58 near Kinston||2009||current|
|NC 149||1.2||1.9||US 64 in Plymouth||Plymouth Pulp Mill in Plymouth||1987||current|
|NC 150||183.2||294.8||SC 150 at the SC state line||US 158 near Yanceyville||1929||current|
|NC 151||0||0||Blue Ridge Parkway||US 19/US 23 in New Candler||1963||current||Second form.|
|NC 152||25.5||41.0||NC 150 in Mooresville||US 52 in Rockwell||1930||current|
|NC 153||2.9||4.7||NC 152 near Landis||Main Street in Landis||1930||current|
|NC 155||29.4||47.3||NC 275/NC 279 in Dallas||US 70 in Conover||1994||1999||Replaced by US 321 Bus.|
|NC 157||29.3||47.2||I-85/US 15/US 70/US 501 in Durham||US 158/US 501/NC 57 in Roxboro||1947||current|
|NC 159||7.3||11.7||US 220 Alt. near Seagrove||US 64/NC 49 in Asheboro||1975||current|
|NC 160||14.9||24.0||SC 160 at the SC state line||NC 49 in Charlotte||1942||current|
|NC 161||10.6||17.1||SC 161 at the SC state line||NC 274 in Bessemer City||1937||current||Second form.|
|NC 162||0||0||US 401 in Fayetteville||I-95 Bus./US 301 in Hope Mills||2007||current||Second form.|
|NC 163||9.1||14.6||US 221 Bus./US 221/NC 194 in West Jefferson||NC 16 near Glendale Springs||c. 1961||current|
|NC 168||18.3||29.5||US 158 in Barco||SR 168 at the VA state line||c. 1958||current|
|NC 170||0||0||—||—||1935||1958||Second form; replaced by NC 168.|
|NC 171||17.2||27.7||US 17 near Washington||US 64 Bus. in Jamesville||c. 1936||current|
|NC 172||25.2||40.6||US 17 near Holly Ridge||NC 24 in Starling||c. 1940||current||Second form.|
|NC 175||4.1||6.6||SR 75 at the GA state line||US 64 near Elf||1967||current||Second form.|
|NC 176||0||0||—||—||c. 1928||1930||Replaced by NC 181.|
|NC 177||16.1||25.9||SC 177 at the SC state line||US 1 near Hoffman||1961||current|
|NC 179||16.2||26.1||SC 179 at the SC state line||US 17 Bus./NC 130 in Shallotte||1979||current|
|NC 180||12.0||19.3||NC 18 near Patterson Springs||NC 18 in Shelby||c. 1952||current||Second form.|
|NC 181||36.2||58.3||US 64 Bus./US 70 Bus./NC 18 in Morganton||NC 194 in Newland||c. 1928||current|
|NC 182||23.3||37.5||NC 226 in Polkville||NC 27 in Polkville||c. 1952||current||Second form.|
|NC 183||4.5||7.2||US 221 in Linville Falls||NC 181 near Jonas Ridge||c. 1930||current|
|NC 184||10.3||16.6||NC 105 in Sugar Mountain||Pinnacle Ridge Road in Beech Mountain||1956||current||Second form.|
|NC 186||23.4||37.7||NC 48 near Gaston||SR 186 at the VA state line||1975||current|
|NC 190||0||0||—||—||1930||1940||Replaced by NC 26.|
|NC 191||21.6||34.8||US 25 in Hendersonville||US 19 Bus./US 23 Bus. in Hendersonville||1921||current|
|NC 192||0||0||—||—||1928||1937||Replaced by NC 9.|
|NC 194||85.4||137.4||US 19E in Ingalls||Rugby Road at the VA state line||1921||current|
|NC 195||0||0||—||—||c. 1938||1975||Replaced by NC 186.|
|NC 197||65.0||104.6||Future I-26/US 19/US 23 near Flat Creek||SR 395 at the VA state line||1921||current|
|NC 198||4.3||6.9||SC 198 at the SC state line||NC 180 near Patterson Springs||c. 1952||current|
|NC 200||50.1||80.6||SC 200 at the SC state line||US 601 near Concord||c. 1930||current|
|NC 201||0||0||—||—||1928||1934||Second form; replaced by NC 41 and NC 53.|
|NC 202||0||0||—||—||1921||1934||Replaced by US 76.|
|NC 203||0||0||—||—||1921||1934||Replaced by NC 79.|
|NC 204||0||0||—||—||1921||1934||Replaced by NC 77.|
|NC 205||22.0||35.4||US 74 in Marshville||NC 24/NC 27 in Red Cross||c. 1935||current||Second form.|
|NC 206||0||0||—||—||1931||1934||Second form; replaced by NC 78.|
|NC 207||13.0||20.9||SC 207 at the SC state line||US 74/US 601/NC 200 in Monroe||c. 1948||current||Second form.|
|NC 208||9.1||14.6||US 25/US 70 in Hurricane||SR 70 at the TN state line||1921||current|
|NC 209||36.6||58.9||US 19/US 23/US 74/US 23 Bus. in Lake Junaluska||US 25/US 70 in Hot Springs||1921||current|
|NC 210||195.0||313.8||US 17 in Sneads Ferry||US 70 Bus. in Smithfield||1931||current||Third form.|
|NC 211||162.5||261.5||US 421 in Fort Fisher||US 220 Alt./NC 731 in Candor||1921||current|
|NC 212||14.2||22.9||NC 208 in Belva||SR 352 at the TN state line||1926||current|
|NC 213||14.9||24.0||Walnut Drive in Walnut||Future I-26/US 19/US 23 in Mars Hill||c. 1928||current|
|NC 214||17.00||27.36||US 74 Bus./US 76 Bus. near Whiteville||US 74/US 76 near Bolton||c. 1933||current|
|NC 215||29.0||46.7||US 64 near Rosman||I-40/US 74 in Canton||1967||current|
|NC 216||15.7||25.3||SC 216 at the SC state line||NC 274 near Tryon||1930||current|
|NC 217||9.8||15.8||US 401 near Linden||US 421/NC 55 in Erwin||c. 1933||current|
|NC 218||31.6||50.9||NC 51 in Mint Hill||US 74 in Polkton||1935||current|
|NC 220||28.2||45.4||US 217/NC 22 in Saint Pauls||NC 21 in Duart||1931||1934||Second form; replaced by NC 20.|
|NC 221||21.2||34.1||NC 102/NC 117 in Newton Grove||NC 55 in Coats||1934||1934||Replaced by NC 50.|
|NC 222||57.8||93.0||NC 231 near Emit||NC 33 near Belvoir||1934||current|
|NC 225||10.6||17.1||US 25 near Tuxedo||US 25 Bus./US 176 in Hendersonville||1997||current|
|NC 226||101.0||162.5||US 29 in Grover||SR 107 at the TN state line||1961||current|
|NC 231||25.4||40.9||US 64 Bus. in Wendell||US 64 Alt./NC 98 near Spring Hope||1935||current||Second form.|
|NC 241||9.4||15.1||NC 24/NC 41/NC 111 in Beulaville||NC 11 in Pink Hill||1971||current||Third form.|
|NC 242||94.2||151.6||US 76 in Cerro Gordo||I-40 near Benson||1930||current|
|NC 243||6.5||10.5||NC 24 in Hubert||Pier access in Swansboro||1931||1934||Replaced by NC 24.|
|NC 251||17.5||28.2||Future I-26/US 19/US 23/US 70 in Asheville||US 25/US 70 near Marshall||1980||current|
|NC 260||9.9||15.9||SR 93 at the VA state line||US 221 in Twin Oaks||1935||1940||Replaced by NC 93.|
|NC 261||12.8||20.6||NC 226 in Bakersville||SR 143 at the TN state line||1952||current||Second form.|
|NC 262||22.4||36.0||NC 25 in Waxhaw||US 74 in Charlotte||1930||1940||Replaced by NC 16.|
|NC 264||44.5||71.6||US 15/US 501/NC 55 in Durham||US 64/US 264 in Zebulon||1941||1952||Replaced by NC 96 and NC 98.|
|NC 268||90.3||145.3||US 321 near Happy Valley||NC 89 near Moores Springs||1921||current|
|NC 271||0||0||—||—||1926||1940||Replaced by NC 16.|
|NC 272||0||0||—||—||1931||1935||Second form; downgraded to secondary road.|
|NC 273||18.8||30.3||NC 279 near Belmont||NC 16 Bus. in Lucia||1930||current|
|NC 274||37.1||59.7||SC 274 at the SC state line||NC 27 in Hulls Crossroads||1930||current|
|NC 275||10.7||17.2||NC 274 near Bessemer City||NC 27 in Stanley||1930||current|
|NC 276||20.6||33.2||NC 26 in Pineville||NC 27 near Mint Hill||1930||1934||Replaced by NC 51.|
|NC 277||12.5||20.1||NC 150 in Cherryville||NC 275 in Dallas||1931||1979||Replaced by NC 279.|
|NC 279||28.6||46.0||NC 150 in Cherryville||Pole Branch Road at the SC state line||1979||current|
|NC 280||18.2||29.3||US 64/US 276 in Brevard||US 25/US 25A in Arden||1931||current|
|NC 281||36.6||58.9||SC 130 at the SC state line||NC 107 in Tuckasegee||1930||current|
|NC 282||0||0||—||—||1930||c. 1937||Replaced by NC 28.|
|NC 283||0||0||—||—||1923||c. 1937||Replaced by US 178.|
|NC 284||0||0||—||—||1921||1969||Replaced by US 276.|
|NC 285||0||0||—||—||1921||1934||Replaced by US 23.|
|NC 286||0||0||—||—||1921||c. 1938||Replaced by NC 28.|
|NC 287||0||0||—||—||1923||1941||Replaced by NC 69.|
|NC 288||0||0||—||—||c. 1951||1954||Second form; replaced by NC 28.|
|NC 289||0||0||—||—||1930||c. 1939||Downgraded to secondary road.|
|NC 291||0||0||—||—||1930||c. 1935||Downgraded to secondary road.|
|NC 292||0||0||—||—||1931||c. 1939||Downgraded to secondary road.|
|NC 293||0||0||—||—||1931||1947||Replaced by US 19A.|
|NC 294||13.3||21.4||SR 123 at the TN state line||US 64/US 74 near Ranger||1931||current|
|NC 295||7.0||11.3||US 401 in Fayetteville||I-95/US 13||2011||current||Designated as Future I-295.|
|NC 301||5.5||8.9||US 17/NC 30 in Folkstone||Old Ferry Road in Sneads Ferry||1932||1934||Third form; replaced by NC 38.|
|NC 302||0||0||—||—||1921||1940||Replaced by NC 55.|
|NC 303||0||0||—||—||1930||1952||Second form; replaced by NC 87.|
|NC 304||15.2||24.5||NC 55 in Bayboro||Hobucken School Road in Hobucken||1923||current|
|NC 305||44.7||71.9||US 13 in Windsor||NC 55 in Bayboro||1921||current|
|NC 306||45.3||72.9||NC 101 in Havelock||NC 92/NC 99 in Gaylord||1930||current|
|NC 307||1.4||2.3||NC 304 in Hollyville||First Street in Vandemere||1930||current|
|NC 308||52.9||85.1||US 258/NC 561 in Rich Square||NC 32 in Pleasant Grove||1933||current|
|NC 311||12.4||20.0||NC 31 in Mars Hill||SR 81 at the TN state line||1930||1934||Replaced by NC 36.|
|NC 321||0||0||—||—||1921||1935||Replaced by NC 37.|
|NC 341||0||0||—||—||1921||1934||Replaced by US 17.|
|NC 342||0||0||—||—||1921||1934||Replaced by US 17.|
|NC 343||25.5||41.0||Wharf Road in Old Trap||US 17 in South Mills||1930||current|
|NC 344||21.0||33.8||Weeks Drive in Glen Cove||US 17 Byp. in Elizabeth City||2006||current||Second form.|
|NC 345||4.9||7.9||Thicket Lump Drive in Wanchese||US 64/US 64 Byp. in Manteo||1921||current|
|NC 346||0||0||—||—||c. 1930||c. 1931||Replaced by NC 344.|
|NC 350||0||0||—||—||1933||1975||Replaced by NC 42.|
|NC 381||10.6||17.1||SC 381 at the SC state line||US 74 Bus. in Hamlet||1940||current|
|NC 400||0.6||1.0||US 64 in Manteo||Roanoke Island Festival Park in Manteo||1985||current||Shortest state highway.|
|NC 401||0||0||—||—||1930||1940||Replaced by NC 11.|
|NC 402||0||0||—||—||1933||1935||Replaced by NC 111.|
|NC 403||25.7||41.4||US 701 Bus. in Clinton||NC 55 in Williams||1932||current|
|NC 410||39.6||63.7||SC 410 at the SC state line||NC 87 in Dublin||1936||current|
|NC 411||28.0||45.1||NC 242 near Roseboro||US 421/NC 41 in Harrells||1937||current|
|NC 422||0||0||—||—||c. 1938||c. 1960||Downgraded to secondary road.|
|NC 452||0||0||US 158 near Clemmons||Future I-74/US 52 in Bethania||proposed||—||Designated in 1999 along the future western-half of the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway.|
|NC 461||19.1||30.7||NC 561 in Saint John||Nucor Steel near Cofield||1964||current|
|NC 481||21.0||33.8||NC 4/NC 48 in Glenview||NC 561 in Tillery||c. 1937||current||Second form.|
|NC 482||0||0||—||—||1930||1934||Replaced by NC 4.|
|NC 485||0||0||—||—||1922||1927||Replaced by NC 12.|
|NC 500||0||0||—||—||1933||c. 1941||Replaced by NC 98.|
|NC 501||0||0||—||—||1929||1934||Replaced by NC 39.|
|NC 512||0||0||—||—||1922||1929||Replaced by US 311/NC 170.|
|NC 515||0||0||—||—||1923||1934||Replaced by NC 73 and NC 109.|
|NC 522||0||0||SC 522 at the SC state line||NC 200 in Roughedge||c. 1951||current|
|NC 540||16.4||26.4||NC 55 Byp. in Apex||I-40/I-540 near Morrisville||2008||current||Part of the Triangle Expressway.|
|NC 561||101.0||162.5||US 401/NC 39 in Louisburg||NC 45 in Harrellsville||1925||current|
|NC 562||32.2||51.8||NC 56 in Wilton||SR 59 at the VA state line||1932||1940||Replaced by NC 96.|
|NC 581||71.8||115.6||NC 111 in Goldsboro||US 401/NC 39/NC 56 in Louisburg||1933||current|
|NC 601||0||0||—||—||1929||1932||Replaced by NC 201.|
|NC 602||0||0||—||—||1929||c. 1950||Downgraded to secondary road.|
|NC 603||0||0||—||—||1931||1961||Replaced by US 321.|
|NC 605||0||0||—||—||1932||1936||Replaced by NC 24.|
|NC 610||2.1||3.4||Main Street in High Point||NC 62 near Archdale||1930||current|
|NC 615||14.7||23.7||Princess Anne Road at the VA state line||NC 168 in Currituck||c. 1963||current|
|NC 630||0||0||—||—||c. 1933||c. 1941||Replaced by NC 191.|
|NC 661||0||0||—||—||1921||1935||Replaced by NC 66.|
|NC 681||0||0||—||—||1928||1940||Replaced by NC 16.|
|NC 690||19.3||31.1||US 1 Bus. in Vass||NC 24/NC 87 in Spring Lake||1999||current|
|NC 691||0||0||—||—||1925||1933||Replaced by NC 194.|
|NC 692||0||0||—||—||1923||1934||Replaced by US 19W/US 23.|
|NC 693||0||0||—||—||1930||c. 1941||Downgraded to secondary road.|
|NC 694||6.3||10.1||US 70/US 74A in Asheville||Blue Ridge Parkway||c. 1932||current|
|NC 695||0||0||—||—||1932||c. 1941||Replaced by NC 197.|
|NC 700||18.8||30.3||NC 14/NC 87/NC 770 in Eden||US 29 in Pelham||1934||current|
|NC 701||0||0||—||—||1930||1934||Replaced by NC 5.|
|NC 702||0||0||—||—||c. 1922||1935||Replaced by NC 2.|
|NC 703||0||0||—||—||1930||c. 1940||Replaced by NC 150.|
|NC 704||38.7||62.3||NC 89 near Francisco||NC 65 near Wentworth||c. 1930||current|
|NC 705||26.0||41.8||NC 211 near Eagle Springs||I-73/I-74/US 220 near Seagrove||c. 1932||current|
|NC 708||0||0||—||—||c. 1922||1935||Replaced by NC 704.|
|NC 709||0||0||—||—||c. 1923||c. 1930||Replaced by NC 54.|
|NC 710||20.4||32.8||NC 211 in Red Springs||US 501/NC 130 near Rowland||c. 1935||current|
|NC 711||11.7||18.8||I-95/US 301/NC 72 in Lumberton||NC 72 in Pembroke||c. 1952||current|
|NC 721||0||0||—||—||c. 1980||1982||Downgraded to secondary road.|
|NC 731||25.9||41.7||US 52 near Norwood||US 220 Alt./NC 211 in Candor||c. 1936||current|
|NC 740||12.8||20.6||NC 24/NC 27/NC 73 in Albemarle||US 52 in New London||c. 1930||current|
|NC 741||0||0||—||—||1935||1941||Second form; replaced by US 221.|
|NC 742||35.9||57.8||SC 742 at the SC state line||NC 205 in Oakboro||1936||current|
|NC 751||23.8||38.3||US 64 near Apex||US 70 Bus.||c. 1930||current|
|NC 752||1.0||1.6||I-77 near Pine Ridge||NC 89 near Pine Ridge||1994||1998||Replaced by I-74.|
|NC 761||15.6||25.1||US 76 near Fair Bluff||US 701 in Tabor City||c. 1935||1937||Replaced by NC 904.|
|NC 770||29.2||47.0||NC 704 near Sandy Ridge||US 311 at the VA state line||c. 1930||current|
|NC 771||5.5||8.9||SC 96 at the SC state line||US 74 in Hamlet||c. 1936||1937||Second form; replaced by NC 38.|
|NC 772||10.3||16.6||US 311 near Pine Hall||NC 704 near Prestonville||1933||current|
|NC 800||4.6||7.4||US 52 in Mount Airy||SR 200 at the VA state line||c. 1931||1940||Replaced by NC 104.|
|NC 801||53.9||86.7||NC 152 in Mooresville||US 601 near Farmington||c. 1928||current|
|NC 802||13.6||21.9||SC 95 at the SC state line||US 74 near Pee Dee||c. 1930||1937||Replaced by NC 85.|
|NC 803||25.0||40.2||NC 150 in Mooresville||US 601/NC 80 near Cooleemee||1931||1933||Replaced by NC 801.|
|NC 891||8.7||14.0||NC 89 near Danbury||SR 23 at the VA state line||1926||1934||Replaced by NC 109.|
|NC 892||17.3||27.8||NC 66 near Winston-Salem||NC 89 in Meadows||1930||1934||Replaced by NC 109.|
|NC 893||7.5||12.1||NC 89 near Francisco||SR 23 at the VA state line||c. 1922||1923||Replaced by NC 661.|
|NC 897||43.4||69.8||NC 60/NC 65 in Winston-Salem||SR 33 at the VA state line||1921||1925||Replaced by NC 77.|
|NC 901||19.0||30.6||US 64 near Calahaln||NC 115 near New Hope||c. 1930||current|
|NC 902||24.9||40.1||NC 22/NC 42 near Bennett||US 64 Bus./NC 87 in Pittsboro||c. 1930||current|
|NC 903||200.0||321.9||NC 411 near Garland||SR 903 at the VA state line||1934||current|
|NC 904||67.5||108.6||NC 130 in Five Forks||First Street in Ocean Isle Beach||1937||current|
|NC 905||20.9||33.6||SC 905 at the SC state line||NC 130 in Pleasant Plains||c. 1958||current|
List of alternate routes
North Carolina alternate routes have been utilized in a multitude of ways, including business, bypass, cut-thru and spurs. After 1960, nearly all have been decommissioned or converted to business loops. Today, only three alternate routes are currently active in the state.
|Number||Length (mi)||Length (km)||Southern or western terminus||Northern or eastern terminus||Formed||Removed||Notes|
|NC 2A||0||0||Manly||Southern Pines||c. 1949||c. 1952||Replaced by NC 2.|
|NC 10A||0||0||Conover||Catawba||1930||1934||Downgraded to secondary road.|
|NC 10A||0||0||Gibsonville||Burlington||c. 1932||1934||Replaced by NC 100.|
|NC 10A||0||0||High Point||1933||1934||Downgraded to secondary road.|
|NC 11A||0||0||Kenansville||1940||1960||Downgraded to secondary road.|
|NC 11A||0||0||Kinston||c. 1949||1960||Replaced by NC 11 Bus.|
|NC 18A||0||0||Lenoir||c. 1949||1960||Replaced by NC 18 Bus.|
|NC 26A||0||0||Woodlawn||Little Switzerland||c. 1947||1961||Replaced by NC 226A.|
|NC 27A||0||0||Thrift||Charlotte||1932||1936||Replaced by NC 27.|
|NC 27A||0||0||Pee Dee||Wadeville||c. 1960||c. 1968||Downgraded to secondary road.|
|NC 30A||0||0||Windsor||Ahoskie||1933||c. 1941||Replaced by NC 97.|
|NC 36A||0||0||Mars Hill||1938||1952||Replaced by NC 36.|
|NC 40A||0||0||Roanoke Rapids||Pleasant Hill||1932||1934||Replaced by NC 47.|
|NC 49A||0||0||New London||1940||1948||Replaced by NC 6.|
|NC 49A||0||0||Asheboro||Liberty||1947||1967||Downgraded to secondary road.|
|NC 54A||0||0||Carrboro||Chapel Hill||c. 1957||1960||Replaced by NC 54 Bus.|
|NC 55A||0||0||Bridgeton||c. 1953||c. 1962||Downgraded to secondary road.|
|NC 62A||0||0||New London||1935||1940||Replaced by NC 49A.|
|NC 69A||0||0||Arden||Asheville||1932||1934||Replaced by US 25.|
|NC 87A||0||0||Fayetteville||c. 1944||c. 1949||Replaced by NC 87.|
|NC 87A||0||0||Fayetteville||c. 1949||c. 1957||Downgraded to secondary road.|
|NC 90A||0||0||Rocky Mount||c. 1932||1934||Replaced by US 64A.|
|NC 95A||0||0||Rocky Mount||c. 1932||1940||Downgraded to secondary road.|
|NC 102A||0||0||Goldsboro||c. 1938||c. 1953||Replaced by US 117A/NC 102.|
|NC 105A||0||0||Nebo||Longtown||1935||1940||Replaced by NC 105.|
|NC 109A||0||0||Troy||c. 1953||1960||Replaced by NC 109 Bus.|
|NC 109A||0||0||Thomasville||c. 1936||1960||Replaced by NC 109 Bus.|
|NC 130A||0||0||Shallotte||c. 1944||c. 1962||Downgraded to secondary road.|
|NC 150A||0||0||Lincolnton||c. 1956||1960||Downgraded to secondary road.|
|NC 150A||0||0||Mooresville||c. 1953||c. 1955||Replaced by NC 152.|
|NC 191A||0||0||Asheville||c. 1957||c. 1960||Replaced by US 19 Bus./US 23 Bus.|
|NC 211A||0||0||Lumberton||c. 1949||c. 1957||Downgraded to secondary road.|
|NC 211A||0||0||Lumberton||c. 1957||1960||Replaced by NC 211 Bus.|
|NC 226A||12.3||19.8||Woodlawn||Little Switzerland||1961||current|
|NC 226A||3.7||6.0||Ledger||Loafers Glory||1996||current|
|NC 242A||0||0||Roseboro||1939||1977||Downgraded to secondary road.|
|NC 268A||0.2||0.3||North Wilkesboro||1940||current||Unsigned designation.|
|NC 345A||0||0||Wanchese||c. 1929||c. 1962||Replaced by NC 345.|
List of business loops
North Carolina business routes were first established in 1960 with the conversation of some alternate routes. All business routes in the state are set up as a loop, meaning it will separate then converge back to the main highway. Typically, they serve to connect downtown areas in cities and towns in the state.
|Number||Length (mi)||Length (km)||Southern or western terminus||Northern or eastern terminus||Formed||Removed||Notes|
NC 11 Bus.
|1.2||1.9||Kinston||1960||c. 2000||Downgraded to secondary road.|
NC 11 Bus.
NC 11 Bus.
NC 16 Bus.
NC 16 Bus.
NC 18 Bus.
|2.9||4.7||Lenoir||1960||2008||Downgraded to secondary road.|
NC 24 Bus.
NC 24 Bus.
NC 43 Bus.
NC 54 Bus.
|4.4||7.1||Carrboro||Chapel Hill||1960||1985||Downgraded to secondary road.|
NC 87 Bus.
NC 98 Bus.
NC 109 Bus.
NC 109 Bus.
|3.2||5.1||Thomasville||1960||1971||Downgraded to secondary road.|
NC 109 Bus.
NC 130 Bus.
NC 130 Bus.
NC 143 Bus.
NC 179 Bus.
NC 211 Bus.
|3.4||5.5||Lumberton||1960||1971||Downgraded to secondary road.|
NC 211 Bus.
NC 268 Bus.
NC 481 Bus.
List of other special routes
|Number||Length (mi)||Length (km)||Southern or western terminus||Northern or eastern terminus||Formed||Removed||Notes|
NC 55 Byp.
NC 87 Byp.
|NC 107E||0||0||Cherokee||c. 1938||1940||Replaced by NC 107.|
NC 159 Spur
|0.7||1.1||North Carolina Zoological Park||1977||current|
|NC 345E||0||0||Manteo||c. 1936||c. 1962||Downgraded to secondary road.|
NC 581 Conn.
- U.S. Bicycle Route 1 - Carolina Connection
- North Carolina Bicycle Route 2 - Mountains to Sea
- North Carolina Bicycle Route 3 - Ports of Call
- North Carolina Bicycle Route 4 - North Line Trace
- North Carolina Bicycle Route 5 - Cape Fear Run
- North Carolina Bicycle Route 6 - Piedmont Spur
- North Carolina Bicycle Route 7 - Ocracoke Option
- North Carolina Bicycle Route 8 - Southern Highlands
- Sandhills Sector
Toll roads and bridges
- Cape Fear Skyway - Proposed toll road and bridge in Brunswick and New Hanover Counties.
- Garden Parkway - Proposed toll road in Gaston County.
- Mid-Currituck Bridge - Proposed toll bridge in Currituck County.
- Monroe Connector/Bypass - Proposed toll road in Union County.
- Triangle Expressway - First modern toll road in North Carolina, located in Durham and Wake Counties.
Other routes and highways
- All American Freeway – A freeway connecting Fort Bragg with central Fayetteville.
- Blue Ridge Parkway – A two-lane National Parkway and All-American Road, that traverses 252.1 miles (405.7 km) from the Great Smoky Mountains National Park to the Virginia state line.
- Bryan Boulevard – A freeway spur from NC 68 to downtown Greensboro.
- Charlotte Route 4 – A partial ring road that is signed by Charlotte DOT.
- Cherohala Skyway – A National Scenic Byway, located west of Robbinsville.
- Great Smoky Mountains Expressway – A four-lane divided highway in southwestern North Carolina; broken in three section along US 74, between Bryson City and Clyde.
- Greensboro Urban Loop – A beltline around Greensboro that once completed will be used for routing four Interstate highways.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Freeway – A freeway spur from I-95 to downtown Fayetteville.
- Wade Avenue – A freeway connector between I-40 and I-440, in western Raleigh.
- Wendover Avenue – A expressway that traverses through Greensboro, from NC 68 to US 70.
The original highway numbering system for North Carolina was established in the 1920s. Major routes were multiples of 10, with 10, 20, and 90 running east/west, 30, 40, 50, 70, and 80 running north/south, and 60 running as a diagonal route. These cross-state routes were used as a basis for numbering the two-digit roads that served as the major city-city connectors. For example, NC 90 used to run along modern US 64, which explains the multiple "90s" that branch off US 64 today (NC 9, NC 97 and NC 98).
Three-digit numbered roads were less important spurs off the two-digit roads and often served as rural connectors. These were numbered in a scheme opposite of the U.S. and Interstate auxiliary routes; the spur routes received an extra "ones" digit instead of an extra "hundreds" digit. The first spur received the number "xx1" and the second received "xx2", where xx is the parent route number. This explains the predomination of such routes as 751, 191, 561, and the relatively few "xx0" routes (which would be the 10th assigned spur route ... few parent routes would have spurs numbered this high).
In 1933-34 many roads were renumbered to eliminate conflicts with the U.S. highways now crisscrossing the state. Some numbers (50, 90), which had become effectively U.S. routes (1 and 64 respectively) were moved or eliminated while others that conflicted with established U.S. route numbers in the state were changed to non-conflicting numbers. This seems to have been done without regard to the earlier numbering system, as were all future additions to the state highway system, which is where the modern "lack of any system" system came to be.
In 1937, several routes were renumbered to be contiguous with South Carolina routes, and in 1940 the same happened with Virginia. No effort has ever been made to match up with Tennessee or Georgia routes, but most cross-border numbered roads along this area are already U.S. highways anyway.
In the 1961, routes that conflicted with Interstates were renumbered.
Highway renumbering has since been sporadic, with most being place-holders for a future Interstate route (i.e. NC 752 and NC 295). One exception being a state law passed in 2002 swapping the highway numbers of NC 136 and NC 3; the reason was in tribute to Dale Earnhardt who died in the 2001 Daytona 500, who drove the number #3 Goodwrench Chevrolet and lived in Kannapolis.
- Hartgen, David T. & Karanam, Ravi K. (2007) (PDF). 16th Annual Report on the Performance of State Highway Systems (Report). Reason Foundation. p. 8. http://www.reason.org/ps360.pdf. Retrieved October 20, 2007.
- State Road Maintenance Unit Road Inventory Information Section (2010) (PDF). 2010 Highway and Road Mileage (Report). North Carolina Department of Transportation. http://www.ncdot.gov/travel/statemapping/download/highwayroadmileage_2010.pdf. Retrieved July 15, 2012.
- North Carolina General Assembly (August 1, 1998). "Chapter 19A: Transportation". North Carolina Administrative Code. State of North Carolina. Retrieved December 18, 2006.
- Google Inc. "NC 6". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Exit+216&daddr=E+Lee+St&hl=en&ll=36.05465,-79.797993&spn=0.119629,0.222988&sll=36.052157,-79.73612&sspn=0.003739,0.006968&geocode=FQYPJgId9lo9-w%3BFV4bJgIdW1c_-w&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=18&t=p&z=13. Retrieved June 18, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 13". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Old+State+Hwy+13&daddr=35.6689391,-79.6298382+to:Pittsboro+St&hl=en&ll=35.685187,-79.673195&spn=0.240376,0.445976&sll=35.795921,-79.55359&sspn=0.015003,0.027874&geocode=FdrGHgIdemg--w%3BFctDIAId8vFA-ykV856KlERTiDEc43Ts7VxsdQ%3BFUQrIgId-ihC-w&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=16&via=1&t=p&z=12. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 15". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=NC-49+N%2FYork+Rd&daddr=35.167627,-80.9076039+to:35.2267308,-80.8437526+to:35.2632684,-80.7602621+to:35.352534,-80.6038731+to:35.4123552,-80.5814253+to:35.4672444,-80.6230447+to:35.5341733,-80.6168218+to:35.5939108,-80.5486117+to:E+Innes+St&hl=en&ll=35.386811,-80.564117&spn=0.937086,1.783905&sll=35.224517,-80.836887&sspn=0.029343,0.055747&geocode=FUqcFwIdPG0r-w%3BFYudGAIdrXIt-yljJSZjMJlWiDGkJNJQKvn6Nw%3BFWqEGQIdGGwu-yl_lMt-L6BWiDGXKExF4dJMsw%3BFSQTGgIdOrIv-ym9ixZp-R5UiDEs2zL6rZqZ0g%3BFdZvGwIdHxUy-ymvlhpPRxBUiDElla0OJPGspQ%3BFYNZHAIdz2wy-ykxRMfBVg5UiDEGgolLIdKkqw%3BFewvHQIdPMox-ynvgsedrQhUiDGzBUUchS2T6w%3BFV01HgIdi-Ix-ylD9aasFghUiDEc3K8Hz3w2mw%3BFbYeHwId_ewy-ynTP_fwg_ZTiDEq9Nj9kpc6RA%3BFcE9IAIdeSA0-w&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=15&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8&t=p&z=10. Retrieved July 12, 2013.
- Google Inc. "NC 17". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=NC-127+N&daddr=35.726668,-81.3358809+to:35.7523683,-81.3690522+to:35.7851343,-81.4163576+to:35.8124258,-81.4592721+to:35.8828436,-81.5202418+to:35.9160896,-81.5397294+to:36.1288711,-81.6793553+to:Hardin+St&hl=en&ll=35.907962,-81.316681&spn=0.958807,1.783905&sll=35.73871,-81.351786&sspn=0.030027,0.055747&geocode=FYqeHwIdlE4m-w%3BFUwlIQIduOkm-ymHuVDB1jFRiDHjvqw17bJbZw%3BFbCJIQIdJGgm-yk_C0rxuy9RiDFwvFDO1XVPvw%3BFa4JIgIdW68l-ylJwIOi9yVRiDH7bp1C5Om39A%3BFUl0IgIduAcl-yn3biJ7RiZRiDEoFJfIhNLgpg%3BFVuHIwIdjxkk-ylbvDOiVt9QiDGNfqRTXd0ZPg%3BFTkJJAIdb80j-ymFxxucDN9QiDHySCswPlzl9g%3BFWdIJwIdBawh-ymXKXs8Q-VQiDHACZApA96jDQ%3BFTmeKAIdYb4h-w&mra=mrv&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7&t=p&z=10. Retrieved May 18, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 19". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S+Trade+St&daddr=35.3119039,-82.0813462+to:35.3360154,-82.0149415+to:35.3986719,-81.9601492+to:35.6848124,-82.0094127+to:35.8265582,-82.0770547+to:35.918691,-82.0767712+to:35.9307338,-82.0923721+to:36.0002108,-82.1554274+to:US-19W+S&hl=en&ll=35.633861,-81.98822&spn=0.962117,1.783905&sll=35.665107,-81.915092&sspn=0.240436,0.445976&geocode=FYsPGQIdC04Z-w%3BFR_RGgIdvokb-ykdH_2UeF1XiDF-948OM1Lnyg%3BFU8vGwIdI40c-ymhoohA5kJXiDEWuOBI9Ob9Mw%3BFQ8kHAIdK2Md-ykvZ6ltG0RXiDHjuhjEa45XQQ%3BFcyBIAIdvKIc-ynX__pn8LJQiDEMjUue6OgMOQ%3BFX6rIgIdgpob-yktg8cRh69QiDEgTQC6u_G_ew%3BFWMTJAIdnZsb-ykTAzxbfKNQiDGaaNACzS1PPw%3BFW1CJAIdrF4b-yl7EXyxm6NQiDGj1Hi3y5ddvQ%3BFdJRJQIdXWga-yl1EseS26FQiDGdFQx3YrbWlQ%3BFSPgJQIdLA0W-w&mra=mrv&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8&t=p&z=10. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 21". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=State+Rd+1878&daddr=34.327661,-78.207106+to:34.6327423,-78.623826+to:34.9839371,-78.8524557+to:35.0451471,-78.8718711+to:35.2000616,-78.8494136+to:35.7186282,-78.6546266+to:35.7819818,-78.6416458+to:35.787769,-78.6385625+to:35.7900281,-78.6513175+to:Unknown+road&hl=en&ll=35.250105,-78.392944&spn=1.933394,3.56781&sll=35.784085,-78.642454&sspn=0.015005,0.027874&geocode=FTCPCwIdVqZW-w%3BFW3MCwIdfqdW-ymxLafDez6qiTHnmRmetdc3Bg%3BFSZ0EAIdrktQ-ylB1_UaplWqiTGhw9gVWXy79A%3BFQHQFQIdmc5M-ynL-DFUEhKriTHD0UG4vAxSVQ%3BFRu_FgIdwYJM-ylnxQgrzhKriTH100G_bwOVvA%3BFT0cGQIde9pM-ylpOJKs3G-riTEVv7KtzwQrlg%3BFeQFIQIdXtNP-ylHXnFFAmCsiTG1y5bRcl-OzQ%3BFV39IQIdEwZQ-ykz1X_ubl-siTG3CD3yW-cG1Q%3BFfkTIgIdHhJQ-ymJTawTal-siTG_Jey8wzmWnw%3BFcwcIgIdS-BP-ynlJa-qYF-siTFTwpenATk4Bw%3BFU8vJwIdoVlP-w&mra=dpe&mrsp=7&sz=16&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9&t=p&z=9. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 23". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Green+Sea+Rd&daddr=34.334652,-78.7038519+to:34.3563517,-78.7046967+to:34.8736272,-78.3389468+to:34.996094,-78.321098+to:35.4965662,-78.3545775+to:35.6300166,-78.2520344+to:S+Main+St&hl=en&ll=35.025498,-78.914795&spn=3.877187,7.13562&sll=35.498133,-78.326855&sspn=0.120469,0.222988&geocode=FZnyCAId7llM-w%3BFbznCwIdFRNP-ymLTIc_KouqiTFaASPXiNzXmw%3BFX88DAIdyA9P-ykrQJoj3_SqiTEh49SBZnfBUQ%3BFRshFAIdfqRU-ymrFp8ZALmriTG2f_s6Kk1nbw%3BFX7_FQIdNupU-yktzL-k3r-riTH0lMC2inDQmg%3BFXaiHQIdb2dU-ynjo_cQRHKsiTEYNqIlBZ-UIg%3BFcCrHwId_vdV-yn94myu9hSsiTFguAQLwjrvng%3BFTu4JgIdNyVV-w&mra=dpe&mrsp=5&sz=13&via=1,2,3,4,5,6&t=p&z=8. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 25". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=NC-75+E&daddr=W+Franklin+St&hl=en&ll=34.91803,-80.637932&spn=0.242666,0.445976&sll=34.983034,-80.544205&sspn=0.030309,0.055747&geocode=FczXFAIdyFUv-w%3BFVvKFQIdMt4y-w&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=15&t=p&z=12. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 26". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Cherry+St&daddr=35.917408,-82.0763889+to:35.9304348,-82.0918125+to:36.0158048,-82.1694919+to:N+Carolina+226+N&hl=en&ll=35.724218,-81.694336&spn=1.922024,3.56781&sll=35.930474,-82.091678&sspn=0.003744,0.006968&geocode=FTmhGAIdWSwl-w%3BFWAOJAIdHJ0b-ylbfVUbfaNQiDGXGimjg9_SGg%3BFUJBJAId3GAb-yl7EXyxm6NQiDGj1Hi3y5ddvQ%3BFbyOJQIdbTEa-ylpybpbeJ9QiDEq9kD926BTcA%3BFTt_JwIdJzkZ-w&t=p&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=18&via=1,2,3&z=9. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 29". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=W+Long+Ave&daddr=35.2762066,-81.1187347+to:35.2581536,-81.0645268+to:35.2436361,-81.0345532+to:Hazeline+Ave&hl=en&sll=35.264403,-81.10219&sspn=0.028663,0.055747&geocode=FYgaGgIdOi4p-w%3BFa5FGgId8jkq-ylbILIVU75WiDFLVcw5496opg%3BFSn_GQIdsg0r-ylldCc_3b1WiDGovgAwFMNbeA%3BFXTGGQIdx4Ir-ykPBAcpg71WiDHUWWMd4OOBvQ%3BFcDSGQIdI9Mr-w&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=15&via=1,2,3&t=p&z=13. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 31". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S+Boylan+Ave&daddr=Mountford+Ave&hl=en&ll=35.776008,-78.653784&spn=0.030013,0.055747&sll=35.777418,-78.650672&sspn=0.007503,0.013937&geocode=FYzYIQIdEuJP-w%3BFZ3qIQId0d9P-w&t=p&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=17&z=15. Retrieved June 18, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 36". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Forks+of+Ivy+Rd%2FMain+St&daddr=35.827277,-82.5486157+to:Higgins+Br+Rd&hl=en&ll=35.826582,-82.528181&spn=0.059987,0.111494&sll=35.830201,-82.536292&sspn=0.029992,0.055747&geocode=FeBOIgIdWp4U-w%3BFU2uIgIdeWgU-yk9O_yhbxhaiDFoL7McQzSDHQ%3BFff-IgId9cYU-w&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=15&via=1&t=p&z=14. Retrieved June 18, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 40". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Country+Club+Dr&daddr=34.236039,-77.9488012+to:34.2447319,-77.9495089+to:34.2618479,-77.9350638+to:NC-133+N&hl=en&ll=34.111805,-77.987823&spn=0.980095,1.783905&sll=33.904687,-78.066101&sspn=0.030703,0.055747&geocode=FQZoBQIdT7BY-w%3BFYdmCgIdf5ha-yklyuQFxx-qiTHMM1NS50bItw%3BFXuICgIdvJVa-yn7y9KW6h-qiTHfaVt6x9DTBw%3BFVfLCgIdKc5a-yk9_xvO-B-qiTGJkKXkQY7cTA%3BFRRODQIdT2da-w&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=15&via=1,2,3&t=p&z=10. Retrieved June 28, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 64". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=NC-22+S&daddr=35.9245806,-79.7365948+to:36.0040788,-79.7776236+to:Pleasant+Garden+Rd&hl=en&ll=35.715298,-79.324036&spn=0.961136,1.783905&sll=35.979951,-79.718513&sspn=0.119742,0.222988&geocode=FVrqGwIdWB1D-w%3BFWQqJAId7lA_-ymJSvkp9z1TiDHVRsi_T_-SXg%3BFe5gJQIdqbA--ykNP94UKRhTiDGfAuZlJTcppA%3BFcTJJQIdRdY--w&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=13&via=1,2&t=p&z=10. Retrieved June 28, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 77". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=34.8059593,-79.7736553&daddr=34.9768941,-79.6011356&ll=34.900293,-79.629593&spn=0.242718,0.445976&t=p&z=12&geocode=FccYEwIdKcA--w%3BFX60FQIdEGJB-w. Retrieved November 18, 2013.
- Google Inc. "NC 85". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N+Carolina+145+N&daddr=N+Carolina+145+N&hl=en&ll=34.893253,-79.970512&spn=0.234572,0.445976&sll=34.943881,-79.886648&sspn=0.001831,0.003484&geocode=FSMlEwIdf6M6-w%3BFXI1FQId5gQ9-w&vpsrc=6&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=19&t=p&z=12. Retrieved January 4, 2012.
- Google Inc. "NC 95". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N+Arendell+Ave&daddr=35.8582522,-78.14583+to:35.8965633,-77.8559699+to:NC-97+E&hl=en&ll=35.913523,-77.884827&spn=0.958739,1.783905&sll=35.898228,-77.850151&sspn=0.239732,0.445976&geocode=Fe6iIgIdVwNV-w%3BFUwnIwId2pZX-ymNyB66ejCsiTG2Y5YC532BqQ%3BFfO8IwIdHwNc-ylXcIet54OuiTHArMrBRS5hhw%3BFViyJQIdfuBi-w&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=12&via=1,2&t=p&z=10. Retrieved June 28, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 117". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Dover+Rd&daddr=35.1900886,-77.3332772+to:35.2306779,-77.979568+to:Mt+Olive+Dr&hl=en&ll=35.171563,-77.750244&spn=0.96765,1.783905&sll=35.201025,-77.969456&sspn=0.120913,0.222988&geocode=FSwmGQIduOhl-w%3BFUj1GAId4_xj-yn76VYvsy2piTECHPBTRB8rDw%3BFdWTGQIdUCBa-ykZIrJogv6riTFrr0M_oElJRA%3BFZfNGQIdzmlU-w&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=13&via=1,2&t=p&z=10. Retrieved June 28, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 155". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=State+Rd+155%2FUS-321+BUS+N&daddr=35.3355501,-81.2029698+to:35.389441,-81.2094389+to:35.45703,-81.2424383+to:35.5129622,-81.2384353+to:35.6187407,-81.2185295+to:Northwest+Blvd&hl=en&ll=35.527756,-81.153946&spn=0.481698,0.891953&sll=35.69045,-81.219306&sspn=0.030045,0.055747&geocode=FTHgGgIdUiUp-w%3BFX4tGwId5_Ao-yl7lC-dK8dWiDEo_byZtAGTaA%3BFQEAHAIdotco-ykvf1sUTcZWiDF2XWBqiVUfUw%3BFQYIHQIdulYo-ylh8Cc_0MhWiDFuMhsqc2_JHA%3BFYLiHQIdXWYo-ynJIP8K48tWiDF0WhKwcWel0A%3BFbR_HwIdH7Qo-ymzf1G-5zRRiDHB55pLZcSRig%3BFd2vIAId1pco-w&mra=dme&mrsp=6&sz=15&via=1,2,3,4,5&t=p&z=11. Retrieved May 18, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 220". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=St+Pauls+Dr&daddr=NC-20&hl=en&ll=34.837477,-78.918228&spn=0.485807,0.891953&sll=34.97507,-79.214129&sspn=0.015156,0.027874&geocode=Fbe7FQIdZTdH-w%3BFXDpEgIdZVJN-w&mra=me&mrsp=0,1&sz=16&t=p&z=11. Retrieved June 28, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 221". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=NC-50+S%2FNC-55+E&daddr=35.3461357,-78.4835705+to:NC-27+W&hl=en&ll=35.323529,-78.514824&spn=0.243981,0.445976&sll=35.368615,-78.501778&sspn=0.243845,0.445976&geocode=Fa_ZGQIdXAFU-w%3BFddWGwIdjm9S-ymplqLh5oeriTFXIDmU6YAvzQ%3BFQtaHAIdIY1P-w&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=12&via=1&t=p&z=12. Retrieved February 28, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 243". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Hubert+Blvd&daddr=34.6970722,-77.1314509+to:34.6890553,-77.1201215+to:Main+Street+Ext&hl=en&ll=34.686722,-77.148743&spn=0.121674,0.222988&sll=34.715918,-77.190928&sspn=0.015204,0.027874&geocode=FTm6EQId27Zl-w%3BFXBvEQIdRhFn-ykjy-wnz_yoiTHEBB5BlVl_zQ%3BFR9QEQIdhz1n-yndEdxdufyoiTE4_UFgGRfPnA%3BFWJHEQIdrERn-w&mra=mrv&via=1,2&t=p&z=13. Retrieved June 28, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 260". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=NC-93+E&daddr=NC-93+E&hl=en&ll=36.548121,-81.228275&spn=0.118874,0.222988&sll=36.527993,-81.175983&sspn=0.007432,0.013937&geocode=FewWLgIdT1on-w%3BFRJiLQIdg1Yp-w&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=17&t=p&z=13. Retrieved June 28, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 262". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N+Broome+St&daddr=N+McDowell+St&hl=en&ll=35.081146,-80.668488&spn=0.48942,0.891953&sll=35.215121,-80.833025&sspn=0.030539,0.055747&geocode=FcLoFAIdMfMv-w%3BFaVzGQIdBZou-w&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=15&t=p&z=11. Retrieved December 14, 2013.
- Google Inc. "NC 264". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=36.0033762,-78.8929895&daddr=35.8710227,-78.352423+to:E+Gannon+Ave&hl=en&ll=35.8846,-78.618851&spn=0.479547,0.891953&sll=35.822476,-78.293295&sspn=0.05999,0.111494&geocode=FTBeJQIdQjBM-w%3BFS5ZIwId2W9U-ylzsdlDnEisiTGEbdM3bvWFpg%3BFYGlIgId1AlV-w&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=14&via=1&t=p&z=11. Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 275". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=White+Jenkins+Rd&daddr=W+Chestnut+St&hl=en&ll=35.318627,-81.158409&spn=0.116676,0.222988&sll=35.359359,-81.095329&sspn=0.003662,0.006968&geocode=FSpzGgIdNlEo-w%3BFYCKGwIdXpUq-w&vpsrc=6&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=18&t=p&z=13. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- Google Inc. "NC 276". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Pineville-Matthews+Rd&daddr=35.0919578,-80.8012309+to:35.1181904,-80.7258965+to:35.1200853,-80.6942142+to:35.1707775,-80.6610809+to:NC-51+N&hl=en&ll=35.144617,-80.735092&spn=0.241994,0.445976&sll=35.119277,-80.713034&sspn=0.030259,0.055747&geocode=FaVbFwIdLsQt-w%3BFfV1FwIdMhIv-ym1jITCeydUiDG5VXcjIJ0MjQ%3BFW7cFwIdeDgw-ynpy8zpqyZUiDGTHAgt-1NVMA%3BFdXjFwIdOrQw-ylRcLX5dSRUiDGrdGE1ARAHfQ%3BFdmpGAIdqDUx-ynDWbzD5SJUiDGTs2lkF5-gNw%3BFaR2GQIdwLIx-w&mra=dvme&mrsp=2&sz=15&via=1,2,3,4&t=p&z=12. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- Google Inc. "NC 277". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N+Mountain+St&daddr=35.3804298,-81.3747179+to:NC-275+E%2FNC-279+E&hl=en&ll=35.357416,-81.299171&spn=0.12194,0.222988&sll=35.380618,-81.372342&sspn=0.015238,0.027874&geocode=FZrhGwIdtTom-w%3BFc3cGwIdA1Im-ym9gTgeBdtWiDEAuE7YjMxE_g%3BFYPfGgIdYf4o-w&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=16&via=1&t=p&z=13. Retrieved December 21, 2013.
- Google Inc. "NC 301". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Old+Folkstone+Rd&daddr=34.5502341,-77.3931988+to:Old+Ferry+Rd&hl=en&ll=34.551953,-77.413702&spn=0.060936,0.111494&sll=34.551034,-77.391987&sspn=0.030468,0.055747&geocode=FfjTDgIdlG9i-w%3BFdoxDwId0hJj-ylbRgwH8aepiTEYEUv3uf9NMQ%3BFfeXDwIdH_1i-w&mra=mrv&via=1&t=p&z=14. Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 311". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N+Main+St&daddr=35.8433219,-82.530528+to:35.8855997,-82.530564+to:Old+Asheville+Hwy&hl=en&ll=35.888216,-82.491531&spn=0.239763,0.445976&sll=35.879662,-82.520971&sspn=0.059947,0.111494&geocode=FcqqIgIdUGgU-w%3BFfnsIgIdIK8U-ylBYqJjOhhaiDGu2gHJSRJ8Pw%3BFR-SIwId_K4U-ymXjmI8uxdaiDFXWocvETtaBg%3BFTGgJAIdAzoU-w&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=14&via=1,2&t=p&z=12. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- "Route Change (1999-03-26)" (PDF). NCDOT. March 26, 1999. Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 562". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=NC-96+N&daddr=36.252341,-78.5912084+to:NC-96+N&hl=en&ll=36.344997,-78.561859&spn=0.476744,0.891953&sll=36.141722,-78.566236&sspn=0.029874,0.055747&geocode=FQt8JwIdcQNR-w%3BFbUqKQIdGMtQ-ymfciplPqatiTEddYODAnRyoQ%3BFTqLLQIdT_ZN-w&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=15&via=1&t=p&z=11. Retrieved June 6, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 752". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=I-74&daddr=I-74&hl=en&ll=36.491594,-80.731015&spn=0.028878,0.055747&sll=36.491042,-80.727539&sspn=0.028878,0.055747&geocode=FdXkLAIdCvgv-w%3BFSnJLAIdLS4w-w&t=p&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=15&z=15. Retrieved June 9, 2013.
- Google Inc. "NC 761". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Conway+Rd&daddr=N+Main+St&hl=en&ll=34.245581,-78.942604&spn=0.237542,0.445976&sll=34.312807,-79.02983&sspn=0.007417,0.013937&geocode=FdqbCwIdQBFK-w%3BFToRCQIddW9M-w&mra=me&mrsp=0,1&sz=17&t=p&z=12. Retrieved June 16, 2013.
- Google Inc. "NC 800". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N+Main+St&daddr=36.5177629,-80.6000077+to:NC-104+N&hl=en&ll=36.530605,-80.583344&spn=0.059451,0.111494&sll=36.516052,-80.595338&sspn=0.014865,0.027874&geocode=FXwaLQId4wAy-w%3BFYI3LQIdOSQy-ymZ40ilkjxSiDHEzGY6kuJzBA%3BFTrMLQIderEy-w&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=16&via=1&t=p&z=14. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 802". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N+Carolina+145+N&daddr=N+Carolina+145+N&hl=en&ll=34.893253,-79.970512&spn=0.234572,0.445976&sll=34.943881,-79.886648&sspn=0.001831,0.003484&geocode=FSMlEwIdf6M6-w%3BFXI1FQId5gQ9-w&vpsrc=6&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=19&t=p&z=12. Retrieved January 4, 2012.
- Google Inc. "NC 803". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Park+Ave&daddr=35.7435957,-80.6262251+to:NC-801+N&hl=en&ll=35.714183,-80.597076&spn=0.480577,0.891953&sll=35.739407,-80.632353&sspn=0.060053,0.111494&geocode=FfUEHwIdJhov-w%3BFWtnIQIdz70x-yld1fy-je9TiDF6uyavRgIBDA%3BFf7AIgId-CEz-w&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=14&via=1&t=p&z=11. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 891". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=NC-8+N&daddr=State+Hwy+8&hl=en&ll=36.488109,-80.179939&spn=0.237933,0.445976&sll=36.542415,-80.224056&sspn=0.00743,0.013937&geocode=FXbwKwIdtpQ3-w%3BFducLQIdwds3-w&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=17&t=p&z=12. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 892". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Germanton+Rd&daddr=NC-8+N&hl=en&ll=36.269743,-80.182686&spn=0.238602,0.445976&sll=36.162773,-80.256221&sspn=0.014933,0.027874&geocode=FeXgJwIdAVA3-w%3BFbTzKgIduoQ4-w&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=16&t=p&z=12. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 893". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=NC-704+E&daddr=State+Hwy+8&hl=en&ll=36.520397,-80.272121&spn=0.118917,0.222988&sll=36.507291,-80.330572&sspn=0.059469,0.111494&geocode=FWILLQIdET82-w%3BFcucLQIdwts3-w&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=14&t=p&z=13. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 897". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N+Main+St&daddr=36.1598882,-80.1891791+to:36.2403589,-80.1045678+to:36.3366785,-80.0222859+to:36.387087,-79.9595983+to:36.4031761,-79.9701113+to:36.4789775,-79.9103017+to:36.5235532,-79.9130871+to:US-220+N&hl=en&ll=36.327296,-80.040894&spn=0.9537,1.783905&sll=36.332413,-80.026646&sspn=0.059603,0.111494&geocode=FUHYJgIdzpE3-w%3BFZDBJwIdBWk4-yn_VMARf6xTiDGOtzxAqiPm5Q%3BFeb7KAIdibM5-ylxugLQeFVSiDE0g2etKm3_fQ%3BFSZ0KgId8_Q6-ym7lZsGkflSiDF5_hhEVZT_2w%3BFQ85KwId0uk7-ynftXBqWfBSiDH0kyLYENJg3Q%3BFeh3KwIdwcA7-ykDncUHAvFSiDECOfJvpMUKSQ%3BFQGgLAIdY6o8-ynd1U99g-1SiDFMj3ac_2Wg1A%3BFSFOLQIdgZ88-ym_1QF3U-1SiDEIz7uL3wSnhg%3BFR6YLQIdZag8-w&mra=mrv&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7&t=p&z=10. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 11 Bus. (Kinston)". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=E+King+St&daddr=35.2680128,-77.580971+to:Dr+Martin+Luther+King+Jr+Blvd&hl=en&ll=35.263702,-77.569828&spn=0.030205,0.055747&sll=35.259077,-77.577081&sspn=0.030207,0.055747&geocode=FdIBGgIdvTRg-w%3BFawlGgIdVTVg-yl1YjontEqpiTE7GrkOInHLOA%3BFcInGgIdV1hg-w&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=15&via=1&t=p&z=15. Retrieved June 29, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 18 Bus. (Lenoir)". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=US-70+W&daddr=35.7334558,-81.7080665+to:Sanford+Dr&hl=en&ll=35.745607,-81.680946&spn=0.060675,0.111494&sll=35.758667,-81.692705&sspn=0.030472,0.055747&geocode=FQFYIQIdMqoh-w%3BFc8_IQId3jsh-yn3SysCFM5QiDFr55GTGQwULA%3BFeG5IQIdioAh-w&t=p&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=15&via=1&z=14. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- Google Inc. "NC 54 Bus. (Carrboro)". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Tyndall+St&daddr=Tyndall+St&hl=en&ll=34.956026,-77.975678&spn=0.030319,0.055747&sll=34.957028,-77.971301&sspn=0.00379,0.006968&geocode=FbJjFQIdAj5a-w%3BFQNqFQIdnTxa-w&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=18&t=p&z=15. Retrieved June 6, 2014.
- Google Inc. "NC 109 Bus. (Thomasville)". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Denton+Rd&daddr=W+Main+St&hl=en&ll=35.859631,-80.066986&spn=0.060588,0.111494&sll=35.881349,-80.081502&sspn=0.007571,0.013937&geocode=FU7dIgIdhOI5-w%3BFXeGIwIdpA06-w&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=17&t=p&z=14. Retrieved November 23, 2013.
- Google Inc. "NC 211 Bus. (Lumberton)". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N+Elm+St&daddr=34.6206,-79.0085557+to:34.6177637,-79.001484+to:E+5th+St&hl=en&ll=34.630383,-78.996592&spn=0.059113,0.111494&sll=34.631442,-79.001484&sspn=0.029556,0.055747&geocode=FamUEAIdNG9K-w%3BFbhEEAId1WxK-ymXaXkuUOeqiTE8RGBFu52FmA%3BFaM5EAIddIhK-yk5Zd2nSOeqiTFHPnmyb0z-cA%3BFUokEAId39pK-w&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=15&via=1,2&t=p&z=14. Retrieved June 14, 2013.
- "State Highway System of North Carolina". The Virginia Engraving Company. 1921. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Session Law 2002-170 House Bill 1516". General Assembly of North Carolina. Retrieved January 5, 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to North Carolina Highway System.|