North Gwinnett High School
|North Gwinnett High School|
|20 Level Creek Rd.
Gwinnett County, outside of Suwanee, Georgia, 30024
|School board||Gwinnett County Board of Education|
|School district||Gwinnett County Public Schools|
|Superintendent||J. Alvin Wilbanks|
|Average class size||30|
|Color(s)||Red, black, white|
|Newspaper||The Red & Black|
|Website||North Gwinnett High School|
North Gwinnett High School is a public high school outside the city limits of Suwanee, Georgia. The school is part of the school district Gwinnett County Public Schools. The superintendent of the district is J. Alvin Wilbanks and the school's principal is Nathan Ballentine.
North Gwinnett High School was established in 1958. It was built in a former cotton field between the communities of Suwanee and Sugar Hill for the purpose of consolidating the two communities' separate high schools, Suwanee High School and Sugar Hill High School. The land for the school was donated by the estate of Tom Robinson, for whom the NGHS football field is named.
In its early years, NGHS was a small school. In 1960, the school served grades 8 through 12 and there were 328 students enrolled. The eighth grade was eliminated after a new middle school was built during the 1973-1974 school year. By that year, NGHS had 606 students. The school grew dramatically in subsequent decades. Enrollment reached 1,000 for the first time in the 1988-1989 school year and has reached over 2,800. For the 2011-2012 school year, enrollment was 2,670.
North Gwinnett High School figured in Franklin v. Gwinnett County Public Schools (503 US 60 - Supreme Court 1992), a U.S. Supreme Court case that was decided in 1992. A female student at the school accused a teacher of sexual harassment and sued the school district for monetary damages for not stopping the harassment after she complained to school authorities. The federal district court ruled that Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, under which she sued, did not allow for monetary damages. The appeals court affirmed that ruling, but the Supreme Court overturned that decision. The Supreme Court found that Title IX does allow for monetary damages, thus returning the student's case to lower courts.
In 2009, North Gwinnett High School received the silver award for the Single Statewide Accountability System. In 2010, the Department of Education named the school as one of the Advanced Placement Honors Schools.
Students are offered numerous activities in athletics, clubs, and leadership groups such as the NGHS Beta Society, Student Council, and Relay for Life.
- Charlie Blackmon, MLB player
- Blake Wood, MLB player
- Jared Cook, NFL player
- Ja'Wuan James, NFL player
- Ryan McDaniel, AFL player
- Major Wingate, professional basketball player
- Patton Plame, fictional character on NCIS New Orleans, played by Daryl Mitchell 
- "NGHS Student Handbook 2011-2012" (PDF). North Gwinnett High School. Retrieved 28 October 2012.
- "Administration". North Gwinnett High School. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- Black, Stephen; Schutter, Chris (August 15, 2013). "North Gwinnett High School". Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- History of North Gwinnett High School, Gwinnett County Public Schools website, accessed August 26, 2011
- North Gwinnett High profile, Gwinnett County Public Schools website, accessed August 26, 2011
- Franklin v. Gwinnett County Public Schools, 503 US 60 - Supreme Court 1992
- Ga. woman may seek monetary damages from school, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, February 27, 1992
- "Awards and Honors". North Gwinnett High School. Retrieved 26 August 2011.
- , additional text.
- Morgan, Joe (May 25, 2014). "Georgia native Blackmon cherishes time at Turner Field". MLB.com. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- "G-Braves score twice in eighth to clip Columbus". Gwinnett Daily Post. April 23, 2014. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- "North releases field for Jared Cook Tip-Off Classic". Gwinnett Daily Post. August 7, 2013. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- Blomert, Mitch (August 9, 2014). "North Gwinnett grad James makes return to Georgia Dome with Dolphins". Gwinnett Daily Post. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- "North's McDaniel makes Arena Football League roster". Gwinnett Daily Post. March 19, 2013. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- Pompey, Keith (February 13, 2005). "A can't-miss pick who didn't pan out". Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- (heard on NCIS New Orleans Episode date=April 5, 2015 "The Insider.")