North Gyeongsang Province
|North Gyeongsang Province
|• Revised Romanization||Gyeongsangbuk-do|
|Subdivisions||10 cities; 13 counties|
|• Governor||Kim Kwan-yong|
|• Total||19,030 km2 (7,350 sq mi)|
|Population (October, 2014)|
|• Density||141.7/km2 (367/sq mi)|
|• Bird||Common Heron|
North Gyeongsang Province (Korean: 경상북도; RR: Gyeongsangbuk-do), also known as Gyeongbuk, is a province in eastern South Korea. The province was formed in 1896 from the northern half of the former Gyeongsang province, remained a province of Korea until the country's division in 1945, then became part of South Korea.
The Gyeongsangbuk-do Office is located in Daegu, but Daegu has not been a part of the province since 1981. Daegu was the capital of Gyeongsang-do before 1896 and Gyeongsangbuk between 1896 and 1981. The Gyeongsangbuk-do Office will be relocated in a borderland between Andong and Yecheon.
The area of the province is 19,030 square kilometres (7,350 sq mi), 19.1% of the total area of South Korea.
Geography and climate
The province is part of the Yeongnam region, on the south by Gyeongsangnam-do, on the west by Jeollabuk-do and Chungcheongbuk-do Provinces, and on the north by Gangwon-do Province. During the summer, Gyeongsangbuk-do is perhaps the hottest province in South Korea. This is helped by the fact that the province is largely surrounded by mountains: the Taebaek Mountains in the east and the Sobaek Mountains in the west.
Gyeongsangbuk-do is the homeland of the former kingdom of Silla and has retained much of its cultural tradition. A number of artists, political leaders and scholars have come from the province.
- French province (région) Alsace, France
- State of Ohio, United States of America
- Primorsky Krai, Russia
- Bursa, Turkey
According to the census of 2005, of the people of North Gyeongsang 33.9% follow Buddhism and 18.6% follow Christianity (11.5% Protestantism and 7.1% Catholicism). 47.5% of the population is mostly not religious or follow Muism and other indigenous religions.
|— City —|
|— County —|
- Jang Byeong-cheol (장병철, 7 April 2009). "도청이전 신도시 개발 본격화". Kyongbuk Ilbo (Pohang).
- 경북현황 (in Korean). North Gyeongsang Province. Retrieved 18 March 2013.
- К. ПУЛИКОВСКИЙ посетит Южную Корею
- 2005 Census - Religion Results
- 2013년 1분기 주민등록인구현황 (in Korean). North Gyeongsang Province. March 2013. Retrieved 10 June 2013.
- Gyeongsangbuk-do provincial government in English
- (French) Alsace/Gyeongsangbuk-do
- North Gyeongsang Province travel guide from Wikivoyage