North Haven/Hamden (CDOT station)
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Parking||301 spaces (Proposed)|
North Haven/Hamden Station is a proposed station in North Haven, Connecticut on the New Haven-Hartford-Springfield Commuter Rail Line. It is proposed by the Connecticut Department of Transportation as one of three new stations that would be built for the line (along with Enfield and Newington). Although funds for double-tracking the line and adding commuter frequencies have been found, the three stations are not currently funded. The station would serve the towns of North Haven to the east and Hamden to the west.
The station is proposed to be located on Devine Street in North Haven, adjacent to the intersection of State Street (US 5) and CT-40. Direct access from I-91 will be possible via Route 40, while commuters coming from the Wilbur Cross Parkway (which is intended for traffic bypassing New Haven) will have to use surface streets from the nearest exits.
The station will consist of two 180-foot high-level platforms, each with a 100-foot shelter, connected by an elevated pedestrian bridge. A larger parking lot would be built on the east side of the tracks to supplement the existing park-and-ride lot. The station is estimated to cost $6-9.5 million.
A station was previously located at the Devine Street site, serving Amtrak's Connecticut Valley Service (now Shuttle). Service began stopping at North Haven effective October 26, 1980 and ended six years later along with service to Thompsonville effective October 26, 1986.
In 2004, the Recommended Action of the New Haven Hartford Springfield Commuter Rail Implementation Study included the construction of a new North Haven/Hamden station at the Route 40 Connector. A preliminary design located the new parking lot west of Route 5 instead of east of the tracks.
Construction of double track on the line began in late 2012. However, due to a lack of available funding, North Haven/Hamden station is not currently under construction and will likely not open with the rest of the line in 2016.
- "Objectives & Scope: Schedule". New Haven-Hartford-Springfield Rail Program. Connecticut Department of Transportation. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- CDM Smith (24 February 2012). "Station and Layover Site Concept Plans". New Haven-Hartford-Springfield Environmental Assessment. Connecticut Department of Transportation. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- Wilbur Smith Associates (November 2004). "Recommended Action". New Haven Hartford Springfield Commuter Rail Implementation Study. Connecticut Department of Transportation. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- National Passenger Rail Corporation (as Amtrak) (1 February 1981). "National Train Timetables". The Museum of Railway Timetables. p. 12, 55. Retrieved 3 April 2013. Compare to August 1980 timetable
- National Passenger Rail Corporation (as Amtrak) (26 October 1986). "National Train Timetables". The Museum of Railway Timetables. p. 9, 11. Retrieved 3 April 2013. Compare to April 1986 timetable
- URS. "North Haven Conceptual Site Plan". Connecticut Department of Transportation. Archived from the original on 2006-09-19. Retrieved 3 April 2013.