North High School (Bakersfield, California)
|North High School|
|Rival Schools||South, East Bakersfield, Centennial|
|District||Kern High School District|
|Grades||9th through 12th|
|Street Address||300 Galaxy Avenue|
|Location||Bakersfield, California, U.S.|
|Student Body||Approximately 1,800|
|School Colors||Red, Gray, White|
NHS was founded in 1953. It became apparent that the existing high schools in the Kern High School District were not sufficient in number for the accelerated growth of greater Bakersfield. After several years of planning, ground was broken on March 23, 1952, for the construction of NHS. On September 8, 1953, NHS held their first ever classes with an enrollment of 625 students, with 28 teachers and counselors. Over 50 years later, NHS is currently home to a number of students and nearly 150 members of the administration, faculty, and staff.
All students enrolled at NHS must at least meet the following criteria before graduation:
- 4 years of English (40 credits)
- 3 years of Social Studies (30 credits)
- 1 year of World History, Culture, Geography (10 Credits)
- 1 year of American History and Geography (10 Credits)
- 1 year of U.S. Government/Economics (10 Credits)
- 3 years of Math (30 credits)
- All students must pass Algebra or an approved sequence of courses covering the Algebra standard (Ed. Code 51224.5) in grades 7–12.
- 2 years of Science (20 credits)
- 1 year of Physical Science (10 Credits)
- 1 year of Biological Science (10 Credits)
- 2 years of P.E. (20 credits)
- 1 year of Foreign Language/Fine Arts (10 credits)
- 1 semester of Health (5 credits)
- 65 credits of electives
The athletic director for NHS is Mr. Brian Huens. NHS sports teams are called the Stars, and have their home games on campus. The Stars participate in the Southwest Yosemite League (Div. II, CIF Central Section) and have varsity, JV and Frosh/Soph teams. The following is a link to NHS Athletics: website. Below are all the sports that NHS participates in and their respective season:
Clubs & Organizations
Every year, NHS has the following clubs and organizations that students can participate in:
Resounding from the foothills of the valleys
Our alma mater praises ring!
Remembering our everlasting friendships,
We join together as we sing! May our praises reach the sky,
We will raise our voices high!
To her majesty North High!
- Kevin Harvick NASCAR driver, 2014 champion.
- Colby Lewis Won game three of the 2010 World Series for the Texas Rangers
- Randy Rich former NFL defensive back
- Stephen Underwood Drummer/Vocalist for Southern Gospel Recording & Touring artist The Lighthouse Boys