North Massapequa, New York
|North Massapequa, New York|
|Nickname(s): Red Devils|
|• Total||3.0 sq mi (7.8 km2)|
|• Land||3.0 sq mi (7.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||46 ft (14 m)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0958849|
North Massapequa is a hamlet (and census-designated place) located on Long Island within the town of Oyster Bay in Nassau County, New York, United States. The population was 17,886 at the 2010 census. Residents are served by the Massapequa post office, and the school districts of Plainedge and Farmingdale.
North Massapequa is located at (40.704200, -73.468918).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 3.0 square miles (7.8 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 19,152 people, 6,281 households, and 5,288 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 6,333.0 per square mile (2,448.6/km²). There were 6,333 housing units at an average density of 2,094.1/sq mi (809.7/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 97.32% White, 0.22% African American, 0.02% Native American, 1.15% Asian, 0.55% from other races, and 0.74% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.23% of the population.
There were 6,281 households out of which 36.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 71.9% were married couples living together, 9.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 15.8% were non-families. 13.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.05 and the average family size was 3.33.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 24.4% under the age of 18, 6.2% from 18 to 24, 30.4% from 25 to 44, 22.6% from 45 to 64, and 16.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 93.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.3 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $70,825, and the median income for a family was $76,958. Males had a median income of $54,754 versus $35,859 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $25,957. About 1.5% of families and 2.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.4% of those under age 18 and 3.0% of those age 65 or over. North Massapequa is, as are the rest of the Massapequas, predominantly Italian American, with near 50% of its citizens claiming Italian ancestry.
The town has one high school, Plainedge High School
- Steve Guttenberg, actor, grew up in North Massapequa and went to Plainedge High School
- Joseph Saladino, New York State Assemblyman
- Marilyn Singer, author of children's books, grew up in North Massapequa
- David Pokress, photographer for Newsday and went to Plainedge High School
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), North Massapequa CDP, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved October 4, 2011.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.