North Miami High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2009)|
|North Miami Senior High School|
|13110 NE 8th Avenue
North Miami, Florida, 33161
|School type||Public, high school|
|School district||Miami-Dade County Public Schools|
|Principal||Mr. Michael A. Lewis|
|Color(s)||Hunter Green and Gray|
North Miami Senior High School opened as Edward L. Constance Junior-Senior High School in 1951, with 1,500 students in 7th, 8th and 9th grades. Another grade was added each year for the next three years. The class of 1955 was the first graduating class. Early in 1955 the name of the school was changed to North Miami Senior High School. In the fall of 1955 the 7th, 8th and 9th grades were moved to the new North Miami Junior High School.
Since January 1990, North Miami has offered the IB program. The International Baccalaureate (IB), formerly the International Baccalaureate Organization (the name and logo were changed in 2007) is an international non-profit educational foundation, founded in 1968 in Geneva, Switzerland. The organization administers three programmes for elementary, middle, and high schools which provide the schools with an international curriculum intended to be acceptable to universities around the world.
North Miami Senior High hosts a magnet program that offers a rigorous diploma curriculum approved by the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) based in Geneva Switzerland. The IB Magnet Program consists of approximately 250 students divided between pre-IB in grades 9 and 10, and IB in grades 11 and 12. Students are selected based upon academic achievement, previous advanced coursework and promise. The North Miami IB program is culturally and ethnically diverse due to the fact that students are transported throughout Miami-Dade County.
IB diploma candidates are assessed at international standards in six areas with three exams taken at a higher level (HL) and three exams taken at a standard level (SL). In addition, IB diploma candidates must complete a 150-hour creativity, action and service requirement, write a 4,000-word independently-researched Extended Essay, and complete a class of Theory of Knowledge. In addition, North Miami Senior High has an International Affairs (IA) program which focuses on the languages and international studies. This rigorous course of study offers the IB certificate in the chosen fields of study while offering a variety of IB and AP courses to meet the needs of the student.
North Miami's Auxiliary was awarded an Superior rating.
- Michelle Bernstein - Chef & Restaurateur
- Cool & Dre - Record Producers 
- Carlos Alvarez - NFL Football Player (Class of 1968)
- Dave Aronberg - Member of the Florida Senate
- Kurt Bevacqua - MLB Baseball Player
- Steve Carlton - MLB Baseball Player (Class of 1963)
- Jim Colombo - Kickboxer (Class of 1986)
- Bill Conti - Oscar Winning Composer (“The Right Stuff,” Theme from “Rocky”). (Class of 1959)
- Barbara Caridad Ferrer - Award-winning Writer Adiós to My Old Life; When the Stars Go Blue (CLass of 1985) 
- Paul Gleason - TV & Film Actor (“The Breakfast Club,” “All My Children”) (Class of 1958)
- Cory McFarlane - Actor, Producer & Project Manager (Class of 1999)
- Steve Nicosia - Former MLB player
- Mark S. Pafford - Member of the Florida House of Representatives
- Robert David Paulison - Director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
- Jerry Weiss Artist - (Class of 1976)
- Jeff Zucker - Television Producer & Executive (Class of 1982)
- Carlos Castellanos - Illustrator, Nationally Syndicated Comic Strip Artist (“Baldo”)
- Fred Francis - NBC News Foreign Correspondent (Class of 1961)
- Lynda Goodfriend - TV & Film Actress (“Happy Days”) (Class of 1968)
- Darrell Gwynn - NHRA Drag Race Driver (Class of 1979)
- Charles Jackson - NFL Football Player, Community Activist (Class of 1982)
- Howard Neu - City of North Miami Mayor and Councilman, Attorney & Municipal Judge (Class of 1958)
- Aris Paganakis - Collectible Furniture Designer, President of Design-O-Matic (Class of 1981)
- Joel Williams - NFL Football Player (Class of 1974)
- George Roller - executive director of the D. James Kennedy Center for Christian Statesmanship on Capitol Hill
- North Miami Middle School
- Miami-Dade County Public Schools
- High school
- Education in the United States
- Pioneer Handbook 1958-1959. North Miami Senior High School Student Council.
- Distinguished alumni, Dade schools
- baseball reference.com
- "Steve Carlton Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com". baseball-reference.com. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- North Miami Sr. High School Alumni Events
- Wikipedia Bill Conti .org
- Wikipedia .org
- Distinguished alumni, Dade schools
- Jeff Zucker