|Elevation||13 m (43 ft)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
North Paravur, also Paravur Taluk formerly known as Parur is a town, municipality in Ernakulam district in the Indian state of Kerala. It is an old and growing municipality. Parur is considered as the gateway to Malabar. Paravur is the capital of Paravur Taluk in Ernakulam district. Though considered a part of Kochi for all practical purposes, the town is 17 km away from Edappally in city of Kochi. It is a northern suburb of Kochi City.
The coastal highway NH-66 Panvel-Kanyakumari (NH-17 Kochi – Mumbai) passes through this historic and forgotten town. The National Waterway – 3 Kollam – Kottapuram passes through the west end of the taluk.
The name Paravur is derived from Parayur. This is one of the 64 villages created by Parashurama. This town had been an old trading post, has a Jewish synagogue and had a thriving Jewish community before their conversion to Syrian Christians in the first century and their resettlement in Israel after its establishment. Cochin Jews lived in the towns of Kochi and North Paravur.
The various denominations of modern Saint Thomas Christians ascribe their unwritten tradition to the end of the 2nd century and believe that Thomas landed at Maliankara village in Paravur Taluk in AD 52. In AD 52 (St. Thomas) founded the churches popularly known as 'Ezharappallikal'(seven and half churches). Two of such churches are at Parur (Kottakkaavu) and Kodungallur.
Paravur was under the administration of Paravur king. Vypin was also in Parur. Paravur king joined with Kochi country, but later Parur transferred to the Travancore area as part of an agreement. The taluk was divided into Paravur and Alangad. Alangad comprised most parts of present day Aluva taluk. Muziris in Pattanam was the centre of Indian spice trade for many centuries, and was known to the Yavanas (Greeks) as well as Romans, Jews, Arabs, and Chinese since ancient times. At that period Paravur area included Puthenchira, Mala area of Mukundpuram taluk, Aluva taluk. Kochi rose to significance as a trading centre after the port at Muziris destroyed by massive flooding of the river Periyar in 1341. It was told till that time the Periyar River had a width of Cherai to Munambam. The mud and sand literally destroyed this natural port and the whole City along with its wealth went below the mud and sand.
Chendamangalam a historical place is also in Paravur. Chendamangalam was the place of Paliath Achans who was the ministers of Kochi kings. Now There is a palace of paliath family in Chendamangalam. Chavara monastery is in Koonammavu. North Paravur municipality is one among the former municipalities in Ernakulam District. Today it is a populated residential town in Ernakulam district due to its historical importance. Gothuruth an island in Parur is the birthplace of Chavittunatakam. Parayipetta panthirikulam folkstory believed to be happened in this area.
Paravur was once famous in the district for its traditional industries like coir, handlooms and agriculture. Now it's changing to a major residential suburb of Cochin where people looking jobs in city. The Eloor-Edayar industrial belt is in Paravur Taluk.
Paravur is located at 8.78° N 76.7° E. It has an average elevation of 10 metres (32 feet). The town is situated at north end of Ernakulam district and bordering with Thrissur district. The towns in Thrissur district like Kodungallore, Mala, Chalakudy and the towns Kalamassery, Aluva, Angamaly, Vypin island are located near to this town. The Paravur Taluk lies in the flat delta region of the Periyar river and cut by several canals, which have resulted in the formation of many islands. The Kodungalloor Kayal (backwaters) and Varappuzha Kayal (backwaters) are in this taluk.
Social Service Organisations
Mentally Retarded Home for Girls
- Hindi Prachara Sabha, Alengad
- Sree Narayana Medical College, Chalaka SNIMS Portal
- SNMIMT Engineering college, Maliankara SNMIMT Portal
- SNGIST Professional College, Manjaly SNGIST Portal
- MES College of Engineering and Technology, Kunnukara MESCET Portal
- Holymatha College of Technology, Manakkapady Holymatha Portal
- MES Arts and Science College, Kunnukara MES Portal
- SNM College, Maliankara,(Aided)
- Kesari Arts & Science College,Kesari road,(NH)
- Sree Narayana Arts & Science College, Kedamangalam
- Presentation college, Puthanvelikara
- IHRD College, Puthanvelikara
- Mar Gregorious Arts & Science College
- CAPE College(Proposed)
- Bishop Thannikode Memorial Women's College, Koonammavu
- Lakshmi College,parallel college with more than three thousand students.
- SNM Training College, Moothakunnam (Aided) SNM Training College Portal
- SNM TTI,Moothakunnam
- HDPY B.Ed College, Mattupuram
- SNM ITC Moothakunnam
- Chavara ITC Koonammavu
- Ghadi Gramaudyog Bhavan, Nanthiyattukunnam
- Donbosco, Fort road
- Madhavi Sami Memmorial School of Nursing, Eloor
Major Schools CBSE
- Infant Jesus Senior Secondary School,Kurumthottiparamb,'North Paravur'
- Holy India Group,(town)& Kaitharam, 'North Paravur'.
- Adarsha Vidya Bhavan Senior Secondary School, Nanthiyaattkunnam, North Paravur
- MES Central School,Kunnukara
- MES Central School,Eloor
- Toc-H School,Eloor
- Chavara Darsan CMI public School, Koonammavu
- Little Hearts, Kizhkepram,Paravur
- H.D.P.Y. English Mediium School, Andippillikavu.
- Mannam Memorial N.S.S Engilish Medium School Puthenvelikkara
- Alengad Jamath School
- Kadungallur Rajasree S.M.M School
- Mar Gregorious School, Paravur
- Peace International School,Thathapilly
Major Schools AIDED & GOVERNMENT
- Paliyam Government Higher Secondary School, Chendamangalam
- D.D.S.H.S Karimpadam
- Government Higher Secondary School (Boys), North Paravur
- Government Higher Secondary School (Girls), North Paravur
The reason for so many temples in the region is attributed to the influence of Travancore State and Cochin State rulers who ruled North Paravur for many years. Also at different points in history Outside Brahmins came to this town, settled here and constructed temples for themselves and for their workers who spoke same or similar languages.
Major Temples in the taluk
- Peruvaram Mahadeva Temple, Paravur. At this temple, normally there is Prasad Lunch, at least once a month, during Nama Japam.
- Kannankulangara Sreekrishna Temple, Paravur.
- Dakshina Mookambika Temple North Paravur- One of the most important Saraswathy temples in Kerala
- Kalikulangara Temple, Nanthiattukunam, Paravur: Famous for Thendu. Administerd by Sivagiri Trust.
- Thiravallur Shiva Temple, Alangad, Paravur.
- Venketachalapathi GSB Temple at KMK Junction
- Thonniakavu Bhadrakali Temple, Paravur.
- Perumpadanna Mahadeva Temple, Paravur- Undertaken by Kudumbi Samudaya Mahajana Sabha, N. paravur
- Veluthattamma Temple, Kedamangalam, Paravur (Famous for a ritual called Muttu to predict uncertainties related to marriage, career etc.).
- Ayroor Pisharikkal Sree Durga Temple
- Vettakaran Temple at Thirumuppam Variam
- Sree Krishna Swami Temple, Kottayilkovilakam
Major churches in taluk
- St. Thomas Church North Paravur,the pilgrimage centre where the tomb of Gregorios Abdul Jaleel is situated
- St. Thomas Syro-Malabar Catholic Church, Paravur Kottakavu (built by St. Thomas in A.D 52)
- St. Antony's Church, Chettikkad
- St. Don Bosco Church (Roman Catholic - Latin) North Paravur.
- Alengad Kunnel Church
- Gothuruth St. Sebastians Church
- Kunjithai St.Francis Xavier Church
- Holy Cross Church, Kadalvathuruth
- Malavana St.George's Church
- Vyakulambika matha Church, Pattanam
- Ayroor St. Antony's Church
- Kuthiathodu St.Francis Xavier Church
- Thuruthur St.Thomas Church
- Ezhikara church
- Little Flower Church Koottukad (Latin-Rite)
- St. Mary's Assumption Church, Ezhikkara
- St. Vincent Ferrar church, Chathanad
- Paravur Juma Masjid
- Paravur Pattalam Juma Masjid
- Manjaly Juma Masjid
- Kattenellure Munavarsha Thangal Masjid
- Kadungallur Juma Masjid
- Parappuram Juma Masjid
- Eloor Juma Masjid
IMPORTANT FAIRS AND FESTIVALS
- Paravur Mookambika Navarathri festival
- Dhukrana of the Saint Gregorios Abdul Jaleel from 23rd to 27 April at St. Thomas Church North Paravur which is also known as Bava Sratha Perunnaal. During these days, the North Paravur is declared as a festival area by the Kerala government considering the large flow of pilgrims.
- The annual feast of St. Antony at St. Antony's Church, Chettikkad is conducted on May 12th every year, whereon more than a lakh of people participate.
- Kalikulangara valiyavilka fest
- The celebration of Sacred Heart of Jesus in the month of June at St. Don Bosco Church North Paravur.
- Perumpadanna Holi fest at Perumpadanna KSMS Mahadeva temple.
- Moothakunam temple fest
- Unnimisiha Chapel, Madaplathuruth, feast of Infant Jesus.
- Chakkumarassery Temple Fest
- The feast of [St. Threasa] on first Sunday of October at Little Flower Church (koottukad)
Places of interest in Taluk
- Periyar branch: Paravur river
- Chinese fishing nets in lagoons
- Pattanam, Muziris tourism circuit
- Kottayil Kovilakom
- Chendamangalam, Vypeekotta Seminary
- Mouth of Chalakudy River
- Varappuzha Lagoon and bridge
- North Paravur town
North Paravur is the headquarters of Paravur Taluk and Paravur, Kalamassery State Assembly constituencies. North Paravur and Eloor are Municipalities in Paravur Taluk. The Grama Panchayats in Paravur Taluk are Alengad, Chendamangalam, Chittatukara, Ezhikkara, Kadungalloor, Karumalore, Kottuvally, Kunnukara, Puthanvelikkara, VadakkekaraAnd Varappuzha. The Block Panchayats are Paravur and Alengad. Paravur, Kalamassery Assembly constituencies belong to Ernakulam (Lok Sabha constituency)constituency represented by K.V.Thomas. V.D Satheesan is the M.L.A of Paravur from 2001. North Paravur is the seat of Ernakulam Additional District court. Other courts are Munsif, Magistrate. There is Sales Tax, Supplies, Sub Treasury offices in Paravur. Paravur civil station is located in Kacheri compound.In India electronic Voting Machines ("EVM")were first used in 1982 in the by-election to North Paravur Assembly Constituency of Kerala for a limited number of polling stations (50 polling stations). Alengad block is situated at Kottapuram.
Police stations in the Taluk area Paravur Circle: Paravur Station, Varapuzha Stations Vadakkekara Circle: Vadakkekara Station, Puthenvelikkara Station Eloor area: Binanipuram Station,Eloor Station Alengad Station Fire Service: Paravur Fire Station, FACT Eloor
KL-42 is the RTO code for Paravur Taluk, Vypin and North Paravur. Paravur JRTO is situated at Perumpadanna. There is a KSRTC Subdepot, Private Limited Stop bus stand and a Private bus stand in the town conducting services to all important places of Kerala. There is frequent bus services to Ernakulam, Malabar from here. KSRTC is running a Kodungallur-Varkala Temple Limited Stop Fast Passenger(LSFP) service which connects North Paravoor, Paravoor(Alappuzha) and South Paravur. There is also night services from & towards Punalur, Pala, Hilly areas of Kasaragod, Wayanad operated by private buses. The nearest railway station is Aluva 16 km away. The Cochin International Airport at Nedumbassery is about 20 km away from the town. There is frequent boats and ferry services in the nearby rivers and lagoons.
- Parur - Ernakulam road (Proposed) route via Chatanad, Mulavukad.
- Parur - Ponnani Kozhikode road via Chamravattom, Kadalundikadvu
- Parur - NedumbasseryAirport Malayattur road
- Parur - Koonammavu Aluva road via Alengad/Panayikulam, Kadungallor
- Parur - Eloor Edappally road via Thattapilly
- Parur - Kunjithai Munambam road
Every year boat races are organised in different parts of Paravur and major one is North Paravur water race. Paravur is famous for tug of wars. Volley ball is a popular game in Paravur. There is a municipal stadium in Paravur and FACT ground in Eloor. There are plans to build a swimming pond in taluk. There is a municipal park in Pullamkulam, near to Peruvaram which is well maintained.
Media in Paravur Taluk
All Major Malayalam newspapers have bureaux in Paravur Taluk. Paravur press club is situated at alinchuvad N.Paravur. Local television stations in Paravur includes Paravur Cable Vision(Perumbadana) & Kerala Vision Manjumel, Asianet Cable Vision(Press club), Elgi Vision Kunnukara, City Channel(Perumbadana).
Localities in Paravur
These are the localities or wards in Paravur Municipality. Perumpadanna, Kedamangalam, Nanthiattukunnam, Peruvaram, Vazhikulangara, Kizhkepram, Vedimara, Pullamkulam, Vaniyakkad, Nandikulangara, Paravoothara, Pallamthuruth, Mattumal, Poosaripady, Market. Town:KMK Jn|Potten street, Mookambi, Municipal, Kacheripady|Court, Chendamangalam Jn, Thekkenaluvazhi, Thoniyakav, Kurunthotiparamb, Kannankulangara, Pvt. Busstand
'Nearby towns' Kodungallur (11 KM), Aluva (16 km East South), Angamaly (20 km North East), Irinjalakuda(27 km North East), Chalakudy (30 km North East), Perumbavoor (31 km East),
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to North Paravur.|