North Plainfield High School
|North Plainfield High School|
|34 Wilson Avenue
North Plainfield, NJ 07060
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||North Plainfield School District|
|Principal||Jerard W. Stephenson|
|Asst. Principal||Edison Torres, Jr.|
|Faculty||114.1 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||1,501 (as of 2010-11)|
|Student to teacher ratio||13.16:1|
|Color(s)||Maroon and White|
|Athletics conference||Skyland Conference|
North Plainfield High School is a four-year public high school, serving students in ninth through twelfth grade from North Plainfield, in Somerset County, New Jersey, United States, operating as part of the North Plainfield School District. The school is fully certified by the New Jersey Department of Education and accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary School since 1929.
As of the 2010-11 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,501 students and 114.1 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 13.16:1. There were 618 students (41.2% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 161 (10.7% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 207th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 328 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2012 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", after being ranked 256th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 226th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 189th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
North Plainfield High School offers a comprehensive program of studies. 81% of the class of 2005 entered college or other post-secondary education, 13% sought employment, and 6% pursued other options. The array of classes at Advanced Placement (AP), high ability, college preparatory, and general levels includes opportunities for independent study, a shared-time vocational program with Somerset County Vocational and Technical High School, courses in conjunction with Satellite Education Resource Consortium, and courses offered through a Tech-Prep partnership developed with Raritan Valley Community College. During the last five school years, courses in AP Calculus and AP Physics, Probability and Statistics, and Latin have also been offered either through other school districts in the Interactive Television (ITV) classroom or through the Florida Virtual Academy, an internet-based resource. A state-of-the-art Computer Assisted Drafting Lab, networked computer lab, and a comprehensive physical education facility opened in 1990-1991.
In 2005, the North Plainfield High School Canucks joined the Raritan Division of the Skyland Conference, which operates under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). The school had previously competed in the Mountain Valley Conference.
North Plainfield's football team won the 2008 Skyland Conference Raritan Division Championship. In 2011 North Plainfield's Canucks went undefeated during the regular season achieving the record of 9-0. They easily won the Skyland conference and entered the Skyland conference as the number 1#seed and secured home field advantage for the remainder of the playoffs. The North Plainfield Canucks played the #8 seed Cateret High School Ramblers. The Canucks jumped out to a great lead in the first half 21-0. After the half the Canucks couldn't score against the Ramblers and the Ramblers kept marching down the field and scored on every drive. The Canucks were defeated during the last seconds of the game on a break away run to the inzone. The final score was 27-21 the Canucks were shutout the second half of the game.
The 2011 Canucks were the 3rd team in Canuck history to ever achieve the record of 9-0 during the regular season.
North Plainfield's soccer team won three Group II Conference Championships from 1986, 1987 and 1988. The team finished those seasons ranked as one of the top teams in the state outscoring opponents (127 goals for 8 against).
In 2000-2001 the North Plainfield baseball team were both Mountain Valley Conference champions and Greater North Plainfield Tournament champions. In 2000 they lost in the Central Jersey Group 2 finals but compiled a 21-5 record which is the best in school history.
The North Plainfield baseball team did win a Cental Jersey Group 2 state title in 1996.
- Hank Beenders (1916-2003), early professional basketball player.
- John DiMaggio (born 1968), voice actor and former stand-up comedian.
- Bill Evans (1929–80), jazz musician.
- John T. "Jack" Melick, Jr. (born 1929), band leader, pianist, and arranger.
- Molly Price (born 1966), actress who has appeared on Third Watch.
- Steve Schmidt (born 1970, class of 1988), senior campaign strategist and advisor to the 2008 presidential campaign of Senator John McCain.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Jerard W. Stephenson, Principal
- Edison Torres, Jr., Assistant Principal
- Data for North Plainfield H, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 10, 2012.
- North Plainfield High School, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary School. Accessed June 18, 2011.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed December 2, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed February 26, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- League Memberships – 2012-2013, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 27, 2012.
- North Plainfield High School 2006 Football Preview, The Courier-News, accessed December 16, 2006.
- Chodan, Miller. "Boys Soccer: North Plainfield tops Del Val for 1st sectional title", The Daily Journal (New Jersey), November 11, 2010. Accessed June 18, 2011. "The win gives third-seeded North Plainfield (13-6-1) its first sectional title. The Canucks will play the South champion Tuesday in the Group II semifinals."
- Hank Beenders, Basketball-Reference.com. Accessed September 22, 2007.
- "Disney Channel Profile of John DiMaggio", Accessed April 09, 2010.
- Pettinger, Peter. "Bill Evans: How My Heart Sings", via The New York Times. Accessed October 19, 2008.
- An oral history of Jack Melick recorded May 6, 2011.
- Morella, Nicole. "Attacks hit home - and heart - for `Third Watch' actress", Courier News (New Jersey), September 23, 2002. Accessed February 26, 2011. "The television star grew up in North Plainfield where her mother still lives. Price graduated from North Plainfield High School and enrolled at Rutgers."
- Staff. "North Plainfield H.S. Alumni Hall of Fame to induct 5 new members", The Messenger-Gazette, September 26, 2011. Accessed March 13, 2012. "Schmidt was extensively involved with student government at NPHS and has carried this interest to the highest levels of State and National Politics. He is currently the Vice Chairman of Edelman Public Affairs in Sacramento, CA. Schmidt served as a senior advisor to the McCain presidential campaign, and as Campaign Manager for the re-election of California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger in 2006. He also served as deputy assistant to President George W. Bush."
- Contact Us, North Plainfield School District. Accessed February 3, 2014.
- North Plainfield High School
- North Plainfield Public Schools
- North Plainfield Public Schools's 2012–13 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the North Plainfield Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics