North Rockland High School
|North Rockland High School|
|Thiells, NY, U.S.|
|School district||North Rockland Central School District|
|Principal||Dr. Michael J. Gill|
|Number of students||Co-educational|
|Color(s)||Red and white|
North Rockland High School is a high school located in Thiells, New York, serving 9th to 12th grade students from the northern section of Rockland County, in southern New York. It is the only high school in the Haverstraw-Stony Point District.
- 1 Administration
- 2 Budget
- 3 Previous schools
- 4 Campus
- 5 Courses
- 6 Extracurriculars
- 7 Regular events
- 8 Miscellaneous
- 9 Notable alumni
- 10 References
- 11 External links
The current principal of NRHS is Dr. Michael J. Gill, who moved from West Haverstraw Elementary School to take over as NRHS Principal. Dr. Gill will become the 4th principal of NRHS in the 2007-2008 school year. Past principals were Dr. George Jochum, Mr. Israel Bordanick and Mr. Dennis Hand. Assistant principals include Francisco Ovalles, Jorge Montero, Dr. Joan Murphy, David Johnson and Isidro Cancel. 2013-.... grades 9-12
North Rockland Central School District is currently facing increasing costs.
Students within the school district begin primary school in Stony Point Elementary School, Thiells Elementary School, or West Haverstraw Elementary School, all of which serve grades K-3. Intermediate schoolers attend Haverstraw Elementary School, James A. Farley Elementary School, or Willow Grove Elementary School, which serve grades 4-6. These schools combine into Fieldstone Middle School, which serves grades 7 and 8.
North Rockland High School is composed of two buildings. The "Main" Building is a one-story building built during the late 1960s. The Main Building consists of the Main Office, the Guidance Office, the Health Office, the Main Coordinator's Office, Special Education classrooms, a Library, the Main Cafeteria, the Main Gym, English classrooms, Technology classrooms, Math classrooms, Science classrooms, Foreign Language classrooms, Social Studies classrooms, and Music classrooms. The second building is the "Annex". The Annex was built during the 1970s as an expansion to North Rockland High School. Composed of three floors, the first floor consists of the Athletic Office, the Annex Office, the Annex Coordinator's Office, the Annex Cafeteria, the Annex Gym, and Art Classrooms. The second floor consists of the Annex Computer Lab, Social Studies classrooms, and English classrooms. The third floor consists of Science classrooms and few Math classrooms. NRHS in one of the only fully climate-controlled building in the North Rockland Central School District. The other being nearby Fieldstone Middle School.
In order to graduate, a student must fulfill New York State Graduation Requirements for a New York State Regents Diploma.
Exams are given as Midterms, after the first two quarters, and as finals, after all four quarters.
Advanced placement courses
- Calculus AB
- Calculus BC
- English Language and Composition
- English Literature and Composition
- European History
- US History
- World History
- Music Theory
- Physics B
- Spanish Language
- Italian Language
- Studio Art
College level courses
- Rockland Community College offers courses in English, Mathematics, Political Science, and Economics.
- Syracuse University Project Advance offers courses in Government, Economics, and Statistics.
The school also hosts a Naval Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps (NJROTC) program.
North Rockland High School is associated with an excellent Career and Technical Education and New Vision program through BOCES.
NRHS offers Academy of Finance, which is a two-year program focused on selected business courses.
Adult education courses are also available.
Students may participate in numerous extracurricular activities, including:
Students can also work as tutors for other students through the Homework Center and Math Lab, and can volunteer at the school store (Raging Raider).
North Rockland's Red Raiders are known for their athleticism and "Raider Pride!" Large crowds are present at most home games. 
- North Rockland's Girls Cross Country team won league, county, and section champs in 2010 and was 3rd in the state at the New York State Championships Class AA.
- North Rockland’s Football team was number 1 in section 1 and number 7 in New York State in 2008.
- North Rockland’s Cheerleaders were section 1 champs in 2011 in Disney.
- North Rockland's Boys bowling team won the Section 1 championship in 2008, 2009 and 2010. In 2010 the team won the New York State Championship.
- North Rockland's Girls bowling team have won the Section 1 championship for the past eight years (2005-2012) and placed second in state in 2007 and third in state for 2009.
- North Rockland's Boys Cross Country team won the school's first New York State Federation Championship in 2009.
- North Rockland's Girls Swimming and Diving team placed number one in Rockland County for two years, 2007 and 2008
- North Rockland's Boys Baseball team won Section 1 in 2010.
- North Rockland's Football team won Section 1 in 2011
- North Rockland's Volleyball team won Section 1, Class A State Championship in 2000 versus Sweet Home HS.
Students can participate in intramurals in Basketball, Fitness, Swimming, and Physical Education Leaders.
- College information days.
- Regular PTSA.
- School Board Meetings are held.
- Several faculty meetings.
- Two Parent-Teacher Conferences are held yearly.
- A Principal's roll breakfast is held after first and third quarter.
- A Top Twenty recognition ceremony is held after second quarter.
- Induction Ceremonies for Honor Societies are held yearly.
- ROTC military ball.
- Scholarship Award Night.
- The Elks Club honors National Honor Society Seniors.
- The NRHS PTSA holds a fashion show.
- The year culminates with a Junior Dance and a Senior Prom, followed by graduation on Cordisco Field.
- Homecoming with a fall dance. (Fall)
- The Drama Club produces a play every Fall.
- Seniors participate in a Halloween Costume Contest every Halloween.
- The Drama Club produces a musical every Spring.
- North Rockland High School Hosts Raider Relays. (Spring)
- Annual senior-faculty basketball game. (Winter)
Several times yearly the music department produces shows known as "Coffeehouse." Spirit week, Color Wars between years, and pep rallies are now seen in the fall, under the administration of Dr. Gill.
NRHS is one of the few schools in the country with a digital Planetarium.
- Stephanie Courtney- actress
- Michael Mergenthaler — Professional baseball player in the San Francisco Giants organization.