North Shore-LIJ Health System
|Founded||Great Neck, New York, United States
|Founder(s)||Merger of North Shore Health System and LIJ Medical Center|
|Headquarters||Greak Neck, New York, United States|
|Area served||New York metropolitan area|
|Key people||Michael J. Dowling, president and chief executive officer (since January 2002)|
The North Shore-LIJ Health System was founded in 1997 with the merger of the North Shore Health System and LIJ Medical Center, creating a healthcare network that now includes 16 hospitals, The Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, rehabilitation and skilled nursing facilities, a home care network, a hospice network, and progressive care centers offering a range of outpatient services.
Headquartered in Great Neck, New York, North Shore-LIJ is the largest integrated health system in New York State, based on patient revenue, and the 14th-largest healthcare system in the United States. Its service area encompasses more than seven million people in Long Island, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island. With more than 46,000 employees, North Shore-LIJ is the largest employer on Long Island, and the third-largest private employer in New York City.
- Cancer – The North Shore-LIJ Cancer Institute  offers a comprehensive patient-centered, disease-specific approach to the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer through physicians who specialize in radiation medicine, surgical oncology, medical oncology and hematology, pediatric hematology-oncology, urologic oncology and radiation oncology. Treatment specialists are supported by diagnostic imaging including CT, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), positron emission tomography (PET scan) and nuclear imaging, and laboratory diagnostic programs.
- Cardiovascular services – The North Shore-LIJ Health System's Cardiovascular Services  provide a full range of cardiac care from diagnostic tests and educational classes to cardiac catheterization and surgery.
- Neurosciences – The Cushing Neuroscience Institute  offers diagnosis and treatment of Chiari malformation and syringomyelia, neurovascular diseases and stroke, movement disorders, brain and spinal cord tumors, diseases of the spine, neuromuscular and peripheral nerve diseases, neurodegenerative diseases, pain, epilepsy, neurological disease of infancy and childhood as well as neuro-regeneration and neuro-rehabilitation.
- Orthopaedics – The North Shore-LIJ Orthopaedic Institute  brings together the orthopaedic programs of each North Shore-LIJ hospital as part of a multidisciplinary approach to help patients regain mobility and return to active, independent lives. Physicians and other healthcare professionals treat the entire spectrum of musculoskeletal disorders along a complete continuum of care, from diagnosis to surgery to rehabilitation.
- Pediatrics – Through the Steven & Alexandra Cohen Children's Medical Center of New York  the North Shore-LIJ Health System cares for children's medical needs in major clinical areas and provides support for sensitive personal and family needs.
- Urology – The Arthur Smith Institute for Urology  is dedicated to the treatment of urologic disease through surgical procedures, diagnostics and medical care, including minimally-invasive treatment of the prostate, bladder and kidneys.
- Women's health – The Katz Women's Hospital at North Shore University Hospital and LIJ Medical Center  offers women medical expertise and service excellence in a supportive healing environment. The Katz Institute for Women's Health  is a resource for women's health services in the area.
- Lenox Hill Hospital, New York City (Manhattan), New York
- Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, New York
- North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset, New York
- Southside Hospital, Bayshore, New York 
- Staten Island University Hospital, North, Staten Island, New York
- South Oaks Hospital, Amityville, New York 
- The Steven & Alexandra Cohen Children's Medical Center of New York, New Hyde Park, New York 
- Zucker Hillside Hospital, Glen Oaks (Queens), New York
- Forest Hills Hospital, Forest Hills (Queens), New York 
- Franklin Hospital, Valley Stream, New York 
- Glen Cove Hospital, Glen Cove, New York 
- Huntington Hospital, Huntington, New York 
- Plainview Hospital, Plainview, New York
- Staten Island University Hospital, South, Staten Island, New York
- Syosset Hospital, Syosset, New York 
- Baylor University Medical Center
- CASA Columbia (The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University), New York City, New York
- Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio
- Hackensack University Medical Center, Hackensack, New Jersey
- Karolinska Institute, Solna, Stockholm County, Sweden
- Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, New York
North Shore-LIJ Medical Group
North Shore-LIJ has the nation's seventh-largest physician group practice with more than 2,600 full-time physicians in the North Shore-LIJ Medical Group.
Michael J. Dowling has been the president and chief executive officer of North Shore-LIJ since January 2002. Prior to that, Dowling served as North Shore-LIJ's executive vice president and chief operating officer since October 1997, overseeing development, planning and operations following the merger that created the health system.
Executive Vice President Lawrence G. Smith, MD, MACP, is North Shore-LIJ's physician-in-chief, the health system's senior physician on all clinical issues.
Senior Vice President David Battinelli, MD, is North Shore-LIJ's chief medical officer, responsible for the overall professional management of clinical, education, research and operational issues related to all medical and clinical affairs throughout the health system.
Quality and public reporting
The health system discloses its hospitals' quality performance data to the public on its web site which includes information on hospital-acquired infection rates; performance in treating patients for heart attacks, heart failure and pneumonia; and success rates in performing cardiac bypass surgery and joint replacement surgeries. Patient satisfaction scores are also posted.
An integral part of the North Shore-LIJ Health System, The Feinstein Institute for Medical Research  is a disease-oriented biomedical research institution. It ranks among the nation's top five percent of all institutions that receive funding from the National Institutes of Health.
The Center for Learning and Innovation (CLI) , Lake Success, New York, is North Shore-LIJ's corporate university which offers courses, programs and services for employees' personal and professional development.
CLI's Patient Safety Institute (PSI), Lake Success, New York, was established to reduce medical errors and hospital-acquired infections. Its full-scale patient simulators based on computer-based, interactive technology and digitally-enhanced mannequins enable instructors to replicate virtually any medical scenario. This gives medical students, surgical residents, nurses and other healthcare professionals the opportunity to practice clinical skills without risk to real patients.
As a clinical medical educational institution, North Shore-LIJ is responsible for more than 1,500 residents and fellows, and 120 resident and fellow programs . More than 1,200 medical students rotate through health system facilities.
In 2011, North Shore-LIJ partnered with Hofstra University to establish a new medical school on Hofstra's campus in Hempstead, New York. The Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine's  first class of medical students began their studies in August 2011.
- northshorelij.com, the company's official website