North Stafford High School
|North Stafford High School|
|839 Garrisonville Rd
Stafford, Virginia, 22554
|Type||Public High School|
|School district||Stafford County Public Schools|
|Principal||Thomas M. Nichols|
|Vice principal||Jeanna DeCarli
|Enrollment||1,725 (Fall 2010)|
|Athletics conference||Virginia High School League
AAA Northwest Region
AAA Commonwealth District
5A North Region
Conference 15 5A
|Rival||Mountain View High School
Stafford Senior High School
Colonial Forge High School
Brooke Point High School
|Newspaper||The North Star|
|Feeder schools||H.H. Poole Middle School (Majority)
A.G. Wright Middle School (Minority)
Rodney E. Thompson Middle School (Minority)
North Stafford High School is one of the five high schools in the Stafford County, Virginia public school system. It instructs students in grades 9 through 12.
Completed in 1981, North Stafford High School was the second high school to be built in Stafford County. Robert White served as the school's principal from 1981 until 1997. Numerous changes occurred in the school during the next five years under the guidance of principals Henry Johnson and James Stemple including changing the school's colors to the current colors of Navy blue, Columbia blue, and Orange.
The school underwent major renovations in 2003 including the construction of an additional wing on the school for foreign language and to account for overcrowding. The renovation also included adding a new art studio and weight room. In the 2004-2005 school year, James Stemple left to be principal at the newly constructed Mountain View High School and was replaced by current principal Tom Nichols.
Location and demographics
North Stafford is located on State Route 610, or Garrisonville Road, approximately 3 miles from I-95 and U.S. Route 1. The school's attendance zone covers mostly the housing developments along Route 610 between Shelton Shop Road and I-95. Due to the influx of population in Stafford County in recent years, the school's attendance zones and enrollment have fluctuated greatly. Currently, North Stafford's student population is 55% White, 26% Black, 10% Hispanic, and 9% Asian/Pacific Islander.
Academics and extracurricular activities
The school has received Full Accreditation since 2002 and has met AYP in all but one of those years. Students at North Stafford are offered a variety of choices of study, including the option of Advanced Placement (AP) or Dual Enrollment (DE) courses. Classes not offered at North Stafford but in another Stafford County Public School can be traveled to, allowing students to explore various interests. The Commonwealth Governor's School has one of its 5 locations at North Stafford High School. This magnet school program features a unified curriculum of advanced core classes and cooperative teaching. This program is available grades 9-12. Enrolled students take all of their core classes at the North Stafford Site. Students who are not based at a school with a CGS site are bused to a different site for these four courses. Mountain View students travel to participate in this program.
The North Stafford Band Program is a 21-time Virginia Honor Band, the only band in Stafford County to be named a VBODA Hall of Fame Band Program. The Big Blue Marching Band won the 2012 USBands 3A State Championship.
North Stafford currently competes varsity teams in 16 different sports as a member of 5A Conference 15 and 5A North Region of the Virginia High School League. The school also fields an Ice Hockey team as a club sport, and the Wolverine Thunder Step Team.
The Wolverine Thunder Step Team was selected as one of the four finalists in the "National Step Battle" sponsored by Sony Pictures and Stomp the Yard. Receiving over 50% of the vote, North Stafford's Wolverine Thunder won the competition, along with a trip for the team to New York City.
North Stafford has achieved 9 VHSL state championships. The girls gymnastics team won four straight state titles from 1987–1991 and the field hockey team won a state title in 1988. Since the VHSL state cheerleading competition began in 1997, North Stafford has won 3 state titles (1999, 2001, 2004). The school's hockey team, which plays in the NVSHL, has also won 2 state championships in its 4 years of existence. The North Stafford Boy's Soccer team won the Virginia 1 AAA State Championship in June 2011.
- John Maine, Class of 1999 - New York Mets pitcher, pitched in the 2006 NLCS
- Nate Ilaoa, Class of 2001 - Philadelphia Eagles running back; 236th overall pick in the 2007 NFL Draft; 2007 NFL Combine Invite; Starting running back at the University of Hawaii; 2000 Washington Post Offensive Player of the Year, 2-time All-Met selection. He now plays in the AFL and was signed on November 1.
- "Stafford County Board of Supervisors Meeting Minutes June 4, 2004". County of Stafford. Retrieved 2006-11-04.[dead link]
- "North Stafford School Profile". GreatSchools.net. Retrieved 2006-11-07.
- "School Overall Subject Accreditation Passing Percentages 2002-2003". Stafford County Public Schools. Archived from the original on 2006-09-08. Retrieved 2006-11-04.
- "2003-2004 Virginia School Accreditation". Virginia Department of Education. Archived from the original on 2006-09-09. Retrieved 2006-11-05.
- "North Stafford High School Profile". Virginia Department of Education. Retrieved 2006-11-05.
- "Stomp the Yard Sweepstakes". Sony Pictures. Retrieved 2007-01-12.[dead link]
- "VHSL Record Book 2006-2007". Virginia High School League. Archived from the original on 2006-09-09. Retrieved 2006-11-01.
- Giannotto, Mark (2011-06-13). "Pa Lamin Fofana leads North Stafford past Deep Run in the Virginia AAA boys' soccer final". The Washington Post.
- "John Maine Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved November 6, 2012.