North Tyneside (UK Parliament constituency)
|for the House of Commons|
Boundary of North Tyneside in Tyne and Wear for the 2010 general election.
Location of Tyne and Wear within England.
|County||Tyne and Wear|
|Electorate||78,617 (December 2010)|
|Member of Parliament||Mary Glindon (Labour)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Tynemouth and Wallsend|
|European Parliament constituency||North East England|
This seat was represented from its creation in 1997 by Stephen Byers of the Labour Party, who before that election represented the abolished seat of Wallsend from 1992. Byers stood down at the 2010 general election and his party selected local councillor Mary Glindon as their new candidate for the general election, which she won with a majority of 12,884.
This constituency forms north-east suburbs to the largest city in the region, Newcastle. At the end of 2010 unemployment still reflected a slightly less strong economy than in the city's shipbuilding heyday and stood in this seat alone at 5.7% by claimant count, compared to a regional average of 5.5%, significantly lower than South Shields's 7.7%. As to the male only claimant total, this amounted to 7.8%, just part of a significant region-wide disparity but significantly lower than Middlesbrough's 12.8%, however both sets of figures were a little higher than the national average — Greater London saw an average of 4.1% and for men a proportion of 4.9%.
Parliament accepted the Boundary Commission's Fifth Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies which slightly altered this constituency for the 2010 general election since which it has electoral wards:
- Battle Hill (Battle Hill and the Hadrian Park Estate)
- Benton (Benton and Forest Hall)
- Camperdown (the villages of Burradon, Camperdown, West Moor, half of Killingworth and part of Dudley)
- Howdon (all of Howdon, Holycross, Rosehill and Willington)
- Killingworth (Palmersville, Holystone and half of Killingworth)
- Northumberland (northern Wallsend)[n 3]
- Riverside (Willington Quay, Percy Main and part of North Shields town centre)
- Wallsend (town centre)
- Weetslade (Weetslade, Hazlerigg, North Gosforth, Seaton Burn and Wideopen)
|1997||Stephen Byers||Labour||Former Councillor for the Howdon Ward until his election in 1992.|
|2010||Mary Glindon||Labour||Former Councillor for the Battle Hill Ward until her election in 2010.|
Elections in the 2010s
2010: At this election Mary Glindon was Councillor for Battle Hill Ward, David Ord was Councillor for Northumberland Ward and Gagan Mohindra was Town Councillor for Epping Forest, Essex.
|General Election 2010: North Tyneside|
|Liberal Democrat||David Ord||10,621||22.9||+0.9|
|National Front||Bob Batten||599||1.3||N/A|
Elections in the 2000s
2005: Duncan McLellan was Councillor for Weetslade Ward 2005-2012.
|General Election 2005: North Tyneside|
|Liberal Democrat||Gillian Ferguson||6,212||16.8||+4.4|
|General Election 2001: North Tyneside|
|Liberal Democrat||Simon Reed||4,649||12.4||+1.9|
|Socialist Alliance||Pete Burnett||324||0.9||N/A|
|Socialist Labour||Kenneth Capstick||240||0.6||N/A|
Elections in the 1990s
1997: Michael McIntyre was Councillor for Whitley Bay Ward 1992-2012.
|General Election 1997: North Tyneside|
|Liberal Democrat||Tommy Mulvenna||4,762||10.6||N/A|
|Referendum Party||Michael Rollings||1,382||3.1||N/A|
Notes and references
- A borough constituency (for the purposes of election expenses and type of returning officer)
- As with all constituencies, the constituency elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election at least every five years.
- This electoral ward should not be confused with the county of that name.
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- 2010 post-revision map Greater London and metropolitan areas of England
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "T" (part 2)[self-published source][better source needed]