North West Cambridgeshire (UK Parliament constituency)
|North West Cambridgeshire|
|for the House of Commons|
Boundary of North West Cambridgeshire in Cambridgeshire.
Location of Cambridgeshire within England.
|Electorate||89,419 (December 2010)|
|Member of Parliament||Shailesh Vara (Conservative)|
|Created from||Huntingdon, Peterborough|
|European Parliament constituency||East of England|
North West Cambridgeshire is a county constituency represented in the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. It elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election.
This safe Conservative seat includes a substantial part of the cathedral city of Peterborough, specifically the suburban areas to the south of the river Nene and west of the Soke parkway, as well as several rural wards from the historic county of Huntingdonshire. While both Labour and the Liberal democrats are competitive in some wards at local elections, the opposition is evenly divided, and there is a strong Conservative presence in all parts of the seat, ensuring a large Tory majority.
|This section requires expansion. (June 2008)|
The constituency was created in 1997 from parts of the seats of Peterborough and Huntingdon. It was won in 1997 by Sir Brian Mawhinney, former Conservative MP for Peterborough (which was gained on that occasion by Labour). The Conservative Shailesh Vara has represented the seat since 2005.
Following their review of parliamentary representation in Cambridgeshire in 2007, the Boundary Commission for England made minor alterations to the existing constituencies to deal with population changes. The electoral wards used to create the modified North West Cambridgeshire constituency fought at the United Kingdom general election, 2010 are:
- The Peterborough wards of Barnack, Fletton, Glinton and Wittering, Orton Longueville, Orton Waterville, Orton with Hampton, Stanground Central and Stanground East
- The Huntingdonshire wards of Earith, Ellington, Elton and Folksworth, Ramsey, Sawtry, Somersham, Stilton, Upwood and The Raveleys, Warboys, Bury, Yaxley and Farcet
Members of Parliament
|part of Huntingdon and Peterborough prior to 1997|
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: North West Cambridgeshire|
|UKIP||Peter Reeve |
|Labour||Nick Thulbourn |
|General Election 2010: North West Cambridgeshire|
|Liberal Democrat||Kevin Wilkins||12,748||21.9||−1.0|
|English Democrats||Stephen Goldspink||1,407||2.4||+2.4|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: North West Cambridgeshire|
|Liberal Democrat||John Souter||11,232||22.9||+7.1|
|General Election 2001: North West Cambridgeshire|
|Liberal Democrat||Alastair Taylor||6,957||15.8||+0.7|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: North West Cambridgeshire|
|Liberal Democrat||Barbara McCoy||7,388||15.1||N/A|
|Referendum Party||S. Watts||1,939||4.0||N/A|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures – Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "C" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- Cambridgeshire North West, BBC News
- Cambridgeshire North-West, UKPollingReport
- Percentage changes based on notional results due to boundary changes
|This article relating to a constituency of the Parliament of the United Kingdom or its predecessors is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|