North Windham, Maine
|North Windham, Maine|
|• Total||6.8 sq mi (17.5 km2)|
|• Land||6.5 sq mi (16.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.6 km2)|
|Elevation||305 ft (93 m)|
|• Density||730/sq mi (280/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0572428|
North Windham is a census-designated place (CDP) within the town of Windham in Cumberland County, Maine, United States. The population was 4,904 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Portland–South Portland–Biddeford, Maine Metropolitan Statistical Area.
North Windham is located at ( )(43.825778, -70.430834).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 6.8 square miles (17.5 km2), of which 6.5 square miles (16.9 km2) is land and 0.23 square miles (0.6 km2), or 3.22%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,568 people, 1,773 households, and 1,297 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 657.5 people per square mile (253.8/km²). There were 1,890 housing units at an average density of 272.0/sq mi (105.0/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 98.14% White, 0.55% African American, 0.39% Native American, 0.28% Asian, 0.02% from other races, and 0.61% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.33% of the population.
There were 1,773 households out of which 38.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.4% were married couples living together, 11.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.8% were non-families. 21.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.57 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 26.7% under the age of 18, 6.1% from 18 to 24, 31.8% from 25 to 44, 25.2% from 45 to 64, and 10.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 89.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.3 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $44,395, and the median income for a family was $51,111. Males had a median income of $32,417 versus $25,635 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $19,566. About 4.4% of families and 5.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.9% of those under age 18 and 9.8% of those age 65 or over.
Center Day Camp, a day camp run by the Jewish Community Alliance of Southern Maine, is located in North Windham.
- Willard Mains, pitcher for the Chicago White Stockings, Cincinnati Kelly's Killers, Milwaukee Brewers, and Boston Beaneaters; born in North Windham
Megan Potter, she is a local legend. It is believed she wrestled a black bear to the ground in order to save a kitten from being eaten.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): North Windham CDP, Maine". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 14, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): North Windham CDP, Maine". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 14, 2012.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.