Northbridge, Western Australia
Perth, Western Australia
James Street, Northbridge
|Location||1 km (1 mi) N of Perth CBD|
|LGA(s)||City of Perth|
It is part of the City of Perth local government area.
The name Northbridge is often misapplied to areas and landmarks which are east of William Street and/or north of Newcastle Street — such as the Perth Cultural Centre — which are technically still part of the suburb of Perth.
The area is accessible by foot from Perth railway station and Wellington Street bus station. It is served by a free CAT bus and also has a significant number of public car parks, both open and high rise.
The area is largely a mix of commercial, public and residential properties.
Draining of the swamps commenced in the 1860s, by convict labour, facilitating the construction of more permanent buildings. The gold boom of the 1890s saw the construction of many hotels for the accommodation of prospectors, including the Brass Monkey (built 1896). The 1890s saw the area house the attorney-general and many others from the elite classes.
It was for that elite population that several private schools were established in the area, such as Scotch College (1897) and Presbyterian Ladies' College (1915). These schools were subsequently relocated. Around the time of World War I, as the elite began to move out of the area, the area became a hub of European immigration, especially Greek and Macedonian
In the 1950s, post-war European migration brought with it a culture of outdoor coffees and al-fresco lifestyle.
Northbridge was split from Perth and officially gazzetted as a suburb in 1982.
Northbridge today is a predominantly ethnic precinct, and contains a wide array of cuisine, including Asian and Mediterranean cuisine, and contains Perth's main nightlife district, which is centred on James Street and Lake Street.
The main public open space area in the suburb is at Russell Square.
Northbridge History Project
In the early 2000s the Northbridge History Project was supported by the Government of Western Australia, on the recommendation of a report to the Premier Richard Court. The project finished in 2010.
Northbridge History Study Days were conducted in 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010.
Papers from 2007
The book published in 2009 compiling the Study Days papers  had the following items from two years:
- 1. Felicity Morel-EdnieBrown The swamp stealers : topography and change in Northbridge
- 2. Jenny Gregory Northbridge and Carlton : ethnoscapes of consumption?
- 3. Susanna Iuliano Espresso bar lifestyle : Italian migrants and cafe culture in Northbridge, Western Australia
- 4. Nonja Peters On the street where you live : inner city immigrant enterprise
- 5. John N. Yiannakis 'The chicken of the egg', Greek settlement in Northbridge : Greeks in metropolitan Western Australia
Papers from 2008
- 6. Emma Benichou Northbridge through the eyes of a 'Flaneur'
- 7. Geoffrey Bolton Northbridge as microcosm
- 8. Richard Offen Northbridge heritage : friend or foe
- 9. Peter Conole The Northbridge era in Western Australian policing
- 10. Bobbie Oliver 'Be workmen true, to workmen still', labor history and heritage in Northbridge
- 11. Keith B. Shilkin Jewish Northbridge
- 12. Christine Choo Socially and economically disadvantaged in Northbridge : a recent history (1960s-2007)
- 13. Kirrily Jordan and Jock Collins Cosmopolitan Northbridge : a changing inner-city ethnic landscape
Perth City Link
The former separation of the Perth CBD and Northbridge will be changed with the completion of the Perth City Link project - which will see the former railway yard that was just to the west of the Perth railway station changed to an urban development project.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "State Suburbs: Northbridge". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 4 July 2012.
- Matthew Perkins (14 August 2008). "The swampy history of Northbridge".
- Western Australian Land Information Authority. "History of metropolitan suburb names". Retrieved 2008-08-31.
- Morel-EdnieBrown, Felicity (January 2011). "Community engagement, heritage and rediscovering a sense of place in Northbridge, Perth, Australia". International Journal of Asia-Pacific Studies 7 (1): 1–25. ISSN 1823-6243.
- Jordan, Kirrily; Collins, Jock (2009). "Cosmopolitan Northbridge: A changing inner-city ethnic landscape". Northbridge Studies Day Papers (Network Books): 249–275. ISBN 978-1-920845-51-3.
- Newport, Tanya; Morel-EdnieBrown, Felicity; Western Australia. Dept. of the Premier and Cabinet (2006), Northbridge : guide to sources 2006, Dept. of the Premier and Cabinet, retrieved 24 March 2013
- Yiannakis, John N; Morel-EdnieBrown, Felicity; Nile, Richard, 1958- (2009), Northbridge studies day papers, Network Books, ISBN 978-1-920845-51-3
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Northbridge, Western Australia.|