Northeast High School (Oakland Park, Florida)
|Northeast High School|
Home of the Hurricanes
|700 Northeast 56th Street
700 Brent Jett Boulevard
|Type||All Magnet Public Secondary|
|School district||Broward County Public Schools|
|Principal||Jonathan E. Williams|
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Number of students||2099|
|Color(s)||Red, White and Black
|Athletics conference||District 10|
Northeast High School (located in Oakland Park, Florida) is a high school in Broward County, Florida. Northeast serves Oakland Park and Fort Lauderdale as well as the portion of North Lauderdale east of Florida's Turnpike. The school is a part of the Broward County Public Schools district.
Northeast High School is an all magnet school with three specialties: Architecture, Business and Latin. All students must choose one of the three magnet programs to enroll in, and this determines several courses that the students will take.
As of 2011, the total student enrollment was 2764. The ethnic makeup of the school was 46% White, 27% Black, 23% Hispanic, 1% Asian or Pacific Islander, 1% Multiracial, and 1% Native American or Native Alaskan.
The mission of Northeast High School is to foster a safe environment for individual students to acquire the life skills, both intellectual and personal, which will enable them to become self-directed learners both now and in the future.
We sing thy praises,
Our Alma Mater.
Steadfast and loyal,
We always shall be.
Our hearts and memories,
ever shall be of thee,
Our Alma Mater.
- "C" - 2009-2010 academic year
- "C" - 2008-2009 academic year
- "C" - 2007-2008 academic year
- "C" - 2006-2007 academic year
- "B" - 2005-2006 academic year
- "D" - 2004-2005 academic year
- "D" - 2003-2004 academic year
- "B" - 2002-2003 academic year
In February 2007, Dr. Sandy Melillo, an English and TV Production teacher at Northeast, was named Broward County's 2008 Teacher of the Year and state finalist. In 2009, she moved to Pompano Beach High School, where she teaches now.
In 2007, Northeast was awarded a GOLDEN SCHOOL AWARD from the State of Florida Commissioner of Education Jeanine Blomberg. This award was given in recognition of the leadership and support rendered to the school volunteer program.
- Mike Mularkey - Former NFL Coach of the Buffalo Bills and the Jacksonville Jaguars
- Terry Richardson - former NFL running back / Current running backs coach of the Miami Hurricanes
- Jaco Pastorius - Jazz bassist and composer
- Brent Jett - Shuttle astronaut of four missions 
- Margaret Whitton - Film and television actor 
- Derrick Roberson - former NFL cornerback
- Brian Drahman - Former professional baseball player (Chicago White Sox, Florida Marlins)
- Walter Salas-Humara and Bob Rupe - co-founded the rock band The Silos
Northeast High School has a myriad of clubs such as:
- Anime Club
- Jazz Band
- Ecology Club
- First Priority
- Human Relations Council
- Humane Society
- Key Club
- Latin Club
- National Honor Society
- Mu Alpha Theta
- SECME: Science, Engineering, Communication, Mathematics Enrichment
Air Force Junior ROTC
In 1991 Northeast High School's Air Force JROTC unit, Florida-822, won first place overall at the Florida State Drill Team & Color Guard meet hosted at Patrick Air Force Base led by Cadet Colonel Kevin Croyle (Drill Team Commander) and Cadet Captain John Osorio (Color Guard Commander). Earlier in the same school year, Florida-822 won its first ever first place overall by winning the Lake Worth High School Regional Drill Meet. To finish out the school year the unit went to its first ever national drill meet. The drill team and color guard finished in the top five units in the country of over thirty schools participating.
Other Notable Events:
- 1989 - Eunice Taylor became the first female corp commander.
- 1991 - Frantz Petitpapa became the first African American corp commander.
- 2008 - The Northeast Drill Team won second place in the Eastern Division National Drill Meet hosted by the Air Force Association in Macon, Georgia.
Northeast High School participates in the following sports:
- Baseball: Class 4A State Semi-finalist (1994)
- Basketball: Boys Class 3A State Runners-up (1985)
- Girls Basketball
- Girls JV Basketball
- Cross Country
- Football - Current head coach is former NFL running back Donnell Bennett 
- Girls Soccer
- Swimming: Girls Class 4A State Champions (1976)
- Track: Girls Class 3A State Champions (1984)
- Volleyball: Boys State Runners-up (2004)
- Water Polo: Boys State Champions (2005, 2006)
- Enrollment Counts
- Northeast High School Home Page
- FCAT School Grades - High
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration - Biographical Data - Brent W. Jett, Jr. (Captain, USN, ret.)
- After Snacking on Boyish Michael J. Fox, the Sexy Margaret Whitton Beefs Up for a Go at Jack Nicholson
- Mike Saunders, "Sound, Success Of The Silos Springs From Restraint", Sun-Sentinel, February 26, 1988.
- Go Canes!