Northern Bahr el Ghazal
|Northern Bahr el Ghazal
شمال بحر الغزال
Local Classroom in Northern Bahr el Ghazal State 2002
Location in South Sudan.
|Region||Bahr el Ghazal|
|• Total||30,543.30 km2 (11,792.83 sq mi)|
|• Density||24/km2 (61/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
Northern Bahr el Ghazal is one of the 10 states of South Sudan. It has an area of 30,543 km² and is part of the Bahr el Ghazal region. It borders South Darfur to the north, Western Bahr el Ghazal to the west and south, and Warrap and Abyei to the east. Aweil is the capital of the state.
Because of its proximity to Kordofan and the presence of a railway line through it to Wau it suffered extensively in the recently ended civil war in southern Sudan. North Bahr al Ghazal and adjacent parts of Western Kordofan to the north are among the most politically sensitive regions in Sudan. Missriya Arabs from Kordofan have interacted with Dinka in this region over a long time. While relations during the colonial era were largely peaceful, the recent war saw an upsurge in hostilities. Government backing to the Missriya gave them a decided advantage over local Dinka groups, and raiding by murahileen militias (and other government backed groups, including some Dinka militias) resulted in considerable loss of life, widespread abduction and pillaging of Dinka villages. Many of these raids coincided with the movement of government trains to and from Kordofan to Wau.
It has the highest rate of poverty, 76% according to government statistics, of the 10 states of South Sudan.
Kuel Aguer Kuel is the governor of the state. He replaced Paul Malong Awan in April 2014. Other State cabinet members are:
- Deputy Governor - Salva Chol Ayat
- minister of information & communication - Wek Kuch Deng
- State Minister of Finance - Ayii Bol Akol
- State Minister of Health - Tong Deng Anei
- State Mister of Parliamentary Affairs - Daniel Akol Diing
- State Minister of Education, Science and Technology - Valentino Achaak Deng Nyibek
- State Minister of Legal Affairs - vacant
- State Minister of Physical infrastructure - Angelo Uguak Arun
- State Minister of Agriculture - Lual Dau Marac
- Secretary General of State Council of Ministers - Kiir Yor Lual
State Advisors are:
- Political Advisor - George Garang Lual
- Economics Affairs Advisor - Vacant
- Local Government - vacant
- Security Advisor - Joseph Akok Manyiel
|Aweil North||6,376.53||129,127||Cmr Kuol Athuai|
|Aweil East||6,172.23||309,921||Awet Kiir Awet|
|Aweil South||1,786.95||73,806||Jel Mangok|
|Aweil West||5,030.22||166,217||Garang Tong|
|Aweil Central||11,177.40||41,827||Arkangelo Uchu|
The counties are further divided into Payams, then Bomas.
- Francis M. Deng, 1995, War of Visions, Conflict of Identities in the Sudan, (Washington D.C.: Brookings)
- Human Rights Watch, 1999, Famine in Sudan, 1998, The Human Rights Causes, (New York, Human Rights Watch).
- Dave Eggers, 2006, What is the What, (New York, Vintage Books).
- David Keen, 1994, The Benefits of Famine, A Political Economy of Famine and Relief in Southwestern Sudan, 1983–1989, (New Jersey, Princeton University Press).
- Garang Malong, 2012, Theatre of Hope( Nairobi University, Kenya)
- Aweil graduates network( 2013)
- John Ryle, Jok Madut Jok and Fergus Boyle, 2003, Sudan Abduction and Slavery Project, Abductee Database 2003 Report
- "Northern Bahr el Ghazal State gets in new cabinet"