Northern Burlington County Regional High School
|Northern Burlington County Regional High School|
|160 Mansfield Road East
Columbus, NJ 08022
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Northern Burlington County Regional School District|
|Assistant principals||Maggy Hanna (grade 9)
Matthew Konowicz (M-Z, 10-12)
Douglas Newman (A-L, 10-12)
Daniel Uszaki (Athletic Director)
|Faculty||78.4 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||1,186 (as of 2010-11)|
|Student to teacher ratio||15.13:1|
|Athletics conference||Burlington County Scholastic League|
Northern Burlington County Regional High School is a four-year comprehensive public high school that serves students in ninth through twelfth grade from four communities in Burlington County, New Jersey, United States, as part of the Northern Burlington County Regional School District. Students are served from Chesterfield Township, Mansfield Township, North Hanover Township and Springfield Township, along with children of USAF personnel based at McGuire Air Force Base. First opening to students upon the completion of the current building in 1960, the school is located in the Columbus section of Mansfield Township. The school has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools since 1966.
As of the 2010-11 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,186 students and 78.4 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 15.13:1. There were 55 students (4.6% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 36 (3.0% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 156th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 328 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2012 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", after being ranked 186th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 153rd in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 184th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school 119th out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (an increase of 2 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (86.1%) and language arts literacy (94.8%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
The Northern Burlington County Regional High School Greyhounds compete in the Liberty Division of the Burlington County Scholastic League (BCSL), sports association under the jurisdiction of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. The league consists of public and non-public high schools covering Burlington County, Mercer County and Ocean County in central New Jersey. The school had previously competed in Group II, but the growth in the district's population has resulted in moving up to Group III. With 858 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2011-12 school year for most sports as Central Jersey Group III, a category that included schools with enrollment of 802 to 1,104.
The school's mascot is the Greyhound, and colors are blue and grey. In 2013, Northern Burlington's Board of Education officially branded and approved the school "NB" logo and school fight song.
- Sectional and district championships
- Baseball - 2013 Central Jersey Group III
- Boys Basketball - 1972-73 South Jersey Group III
- Boys Bowling - 1996-97 South Jersey Group II
- Boys Soccer - 2001 South Jersey Group II
- Boys Track - 2012 Central Jersey Group III
- Field Hockey - 1999 South Jersey Group II
- Girls Basketball - 2002-03 South Jersey Group II
- Girls Volleyball - 2010 South Jersey Group II
- Softball - 1980, 1982, 1992, 2002, 2005 South Jersey Group II
- Wrestling - 2000-01, 2004-05, 2005-06 2010-11, 2012-13 District 25 champions
- Football - 1980 Undefeated (11-0) South Jersey Group II State Champions
- Football - 1995 South Jersey Group II State Champions (9-2)
- Football - 1971 Undefeated (9-0) Delaware Valley League Champions
- Football - 1972 Undefeated (9-0) Delaware Valley League Champions
- State championships / football state sectional titles
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Craig Wigley - Principal
- Maggy Hanna - Assistant Principal
- Matthew Konowicz - Assistant Principal
- Douglas Newman - Assistant Principal
- Daniel Uszaki - Athletic Director
- Antron Brown, NHRA drag racer.
- Willie Drewrey (born 1963, class of 1981), former wide receiver who played in the NFL for nine seasons for the Houston Oilers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
- Michael Haynes (born 1980), defensive lineman who has played in the NFL for the Chicago Bears and New York Jets.
- Cedric Jackson (born 1986), basketball player who has played in the NBA for the Cleveland Cavaliers, San Antonio Spurs and Washington Wizards.
- District Profile, Northern Burlington County Regional School District. Accessed November 17, 2011.
- School Data for Northern Burlington County Regional High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 10, 2012.
- Northern Burlington County Regional School District 2010 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed August 20, 2011. "The Northern Burlington County Regional Middle School and High School are located in Mansfield Township. Its constituent elementary districts are Chesterfield, Mansfield, North Hanover, and Springfield Townships. In addition, the district serves the children of United States Air Force personnel stationed at McGuire Air Force Base."
- Northern Burlington County Regional High School, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools. Accessed November 17, 2011.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 4, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed February 13, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2010-2011, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 4, 2012.
- League Memberships – 2012-2013, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 27, 2012.
- 2011-2012 Public Schools Group Classification for ShopRite Cup–Tennis–Soccer–Basketball–Baseball–Softball for Central Jersey, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 14, 2012.
- Goldberg, Jeffrey. History of the NJSIAA Softball Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed October 15, 2013.
- McGurk, Tom. "Defense powers N. Burlco - The girls blanketed Haddonfield to win their first sectional title with a 39-34 victory.", The Philadelphia Inquirer, March 12, 2003. Accessed August 18, 2007. "With a swarming defense and solid rebounding, the sixth-seeded Greyhounds captured the program's first-ever sectional title with a 39-34 victory over fifth-seeded Haddonfield in the South Jersey Group 2 championship game at Williamstown."
- Skaf, Lian. "Trio of scorers carries N. Burl. to Group 2 title", Courier-Post, March 12, 2003. Accessed August 18, 2007. "The trio combined for all of Northern Burlington's points with Davis scoring 17, Walton 14 and Gibbs eight as the Greyhounds beat Haddonfield 39-34 and captured the Group 2 championship at Williamstown."
- 2003 Girls Basketball - South, Group II, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed August 18, 2007.
- High School Administrative Staff, Northern Burlington County Regional High School. Accessed January 14, 2012.
- Helfand, Zach. "NHRA: Chesterfield's Antron Brown falls in second round, but impresses idol Don Garlits", The Trentonian, June 5, 2011. Accessed August 20, 2011. "In high school, Brown was a standout track and field athlete at Northern Burlington County Regional High School competing in the long jump and 100-meter dash. In 1997, his 100-meter time was good enough to qualify for the U.S. Olympic Trials."
- Willie Drewrey, database Football. Accessed December 8, 2007.
- Haugh, David. "Haynes hopes he's answer", Chicago Tribune, June 24, 2003. Accessed July 17, 2008. "They chose McGuire Air Force Base 18 miles south of Trenton, N.J., and Haynes attended nearby Northern Burlington High."
- Staff. "N. Burlington's Jackson verbally commits to St. John's", Courier-Post, April 22, 2004. Accessed February 13, 2011.
- Northern Burlington County Regional High School
- Northern Burlington County Regional School District
- Northern Burlington County Regional School District's 2010–11 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Northern Burlington County Regional School District, National Center for Education Statistics