Northern College (Ontario)
|Northern College of Applied Arts and Technology|
|Motto||Your College. Your Community|
|Type||Public College of Applied Arts and Technology|
|President||Mr. Fred Gibbons|
|Students||2015 full time, 15,000 part-time and continuing education|
|Location||Timmins, Ontario, Canada|
|Campus||Timmins (Porcupine), Kirkland Lake, Moosonee, and Haileybury|
|Colours||brown, green, orange, blue|
|Affiliations||CCAA, ACCC, AUCC|
Northern College is a college of applied arts and technology in Northern Ontario. The College's catchment area extends across 58,000 square miles or 150,200 square kilometres. More than 65 communities within Northeastern Ontario are served by four campuses located in Timmins (Porcupine), Kirkland Lake, Moosonee, and Haileybury. Annual enrolment is approximately 1,500 full-time students. Annual part-time and continuing education enrolment exceeds 11,000 students. Northern College is also home to the world-renowned Haileybury School of Mines.
Vision, Mission, and Motto
Vision: Success for all through learning and partnerships.
Mission: To ensure quality, accessible education through innovative programs, services and partnerships for the benefit of our northern communities.
Motto: Your college. Your community.
Northern offers certificate and diploma programs in Business, Office Administration, Computer Studies, Engineering Technology and Trades, Health Sciences and Emergency Services, Human Services, Mining Engineering Technology, Instrumentation, Natural Resources, Police Sciences, Veterinary Sciences, and Welding Engineering Technology.
The College also offers pre-apprenticeship, apprenticeship, and co-op apprenticeship programs, as well as a Bachelor of Science- Nursing degree program in collaboration with Laurentian University. Aboriginal programs and services are also available.
- There are 23 certificate, 29 diploma programs, 1 Collaborative Degree and 18 Apprenticeship programs.
The full-time programs are Academic Upgrading, Aboriginal Programs, Business & Office Administration, Computer Studies, Engineering, Technology & Trades, Health Sciences & Emergency Services, Human Services, Mining Engineering Technology, Natural Resources, Police Services, Veterinary Sciences, and Welding Engineering Technology.
The Apprenticeship Programs are: Aboriginal Early Childhood Education, Construction & Maintenance Electrician, Construction Craft Worker, Educational Assistant, Native Residential Construction Worker, and Welder.
Northern College of Applied Arts and Technology, in cooperation with several other colleges, provides Correspondence Courses and Web-Based Learning.
There are four Northern College of Applied Arts and Technology campuses in Northeastern Ontario:
- Timmins (Porcupine) Campus: Hwy 101 E. South Porcupine, ON P0N 1H0 705-235-3211
- Moosonee Campus: First Ave Box 130 Moosonee ON P0L 1Y0 705-336-2913
- Kirkland Lake Campus: 140 Government Rd E Kirkland Lake ON P2N 3L8 705-567-9291
- Haileybury Campus: 640 Latchford St Box 2060 Haileybury ON P0J 1K0 705-672-3376
- Two campuses, Porcupine and Kirkland Lake, offer independently operated residences.
- Online housing http://northernc.on.ca/onlinehousing
Northern College was established during the formation of Ontario’s college system in 1967. Colleges of Applied Arts and Technology were established on May 21, 1965. It is an Ontario College of Applied Arts and Technology. The school was founded in 1967 as part of a provincial initiative to create many such institutions to provide career-oriented diploma and certificate courses, as well as continuing education programs to Ontario communities.
The first campus was built in Kirkland Lake, followed by Porcupine, Haileybury, and Moosonee. The Northern College Tartan associated with the Northern College of Applied Arts and Technology, was designed by Sylvia Martin.
- List of colleges in Ontario
- List of Canadian Universities
- Higher education in Canada
- List of agricultural universities and colleges
- "President's Message". Northern College. Retrieved 2012-01-19.
- Northern College of Applied Arts & Technology
- http://www.scottish-tartans-world-register.com/tartan.aspx?record=690 Northern College tartan
- Student Portal Website at Northern College
- Learning Excellence Innovation Department at Northern College
- Aboriginal Programs and Services at Northern College
- Careers at Northern College
- Corporate Training at Northern College
- Northern College Student Association
- Northern College Alumni
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Northern College (Ontario).|