Northern Croatia or North Croatia (Croatian: Sjeverna Hrvatska) is a region in the northern part of Croatia, which encompasses Varaždin, Međimurje, Zagorje and Koprivnica-Križevci counties, including the cities of Varaždin, Čakovec, Krapina, Koprivnica and Križevci. The Kajkavian dialect is spoken there. It shares borders with Hungary and Slovenia.
The cuisine of Northern Croatia includes dishes of a few local or regional cuisines (Zagorje, Međimurje, Podravina) which have their specific cooking traditions, characteristic for the area and not necessarily well known in other parts of Croatia, as well as dishes that can be found all across the country. The Međimurska gibanica is one of the layer cakes popular in Northern Croatia, especially in the Međimurje region.
The Northern Croatia region is at the borders with Austria, Hungary, and Slovenia. The North-South highway corridor provides access to the Adriatic, which is a geographic advantage to the other countries in Southern Europe. All of North Croatia is connected to the rest of Croatia by highways. 95% of the houses in the region have sufficient ADSL internet access, and some businesses have used fibre optics to do their business. The region has a very well maintained gas network.
The innovative sector of Northern Croatia has experienced growth in the past years. In 2005, Microsoft established a worker training center in Varaždin. Following this, many other companies have established universities in the fields of Information technology, Automation, and Electronics. The continued investment in universities in the region will meet the demands of the consumers that live there and will continue growth in the region. The availability of first-class human resources in a university in Varazdin has led to advances in software and game development.
- "Nacionalno izviješće Hrvatska" [Croatia National Report] (PDF) (in Croatian). Council of Europe. January 2010. Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- Krapina-Zagorje County - a part of Northern Croatia
- Koprivnica-Križevci County - a part of Northern Croatia
- Northern and Central Croatia cover a third of the country and are the most densely populated areas, inhabited by about half (2,16 million) of the whole population of Croatia
- Tourist attractions of Northern Croatia