Northern Kentucky Norse men's basketball
|Northern Kentucky Norse|
|University||Northern Kentucky University|
|Location||Highland Heights, KY|
|Head coach||Dave Bezold (9th year)|
|Arena||The Bank of Kentucky Center
Gold, Black, and White
|NCAA Tournament runner up|
|(D-II) 1996, 1997|
|NCAA Tournament appearances|
|(D-II) 1978, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012|
|Conference tournament champions|
|GLVC: 2003, 2009|
|Conference regular season champions|
|GLVC: 1995, 1997, 2007, 2008, 2009|
The Northern Kentucky Norse men's basketball team represents Northern Kentucky University in Highland Heights, Kentucky, United States. The school's team is currently transitioning to the NCAA Division I level and has been a member of the Atlantic Sun Conference since the 2012-13 school year. The Norse are currently coached by Dave Bezold, in his 8th season and overall record of 138 wins and 72 losses.
The program began in 1971, NKU then known as Northern Kentucky State College, and played out of a local high school gymnasium. The team played its first game on November 12, 1971 against Calvary College; winning 109-65.
Over the past 15 years, NKU became one of the country's premier NCAA Division II college basketball programs. The Norse won three GLVC Tournament Championships in 1994-95, 2002–03, and 2008–09; and GLVC East Division regular season champion in 2006-07, 2007–08, and 2008-09. In NCAA postseason play, NKU made 12 NCAA DII postseason appearances, including back-to-back appearances in the NCAA Men's Division II Basketball Championship in the 1995-96 and 1996-97 seasons.
On December 8, 2011 NKU officially announced it accepted an invitation to join the Atlantic Sun Conference and begin a multi-year transition to Division I beginning in 2012. The Norse will begin a full Atlantic Sun Conference and Division I schedule in the 2012-13 season, however the university will not be eligible for NCAA D-I postseason competition until becoming a full Division I member in 2016.
The teams 2013-14 season schedule features 3 marquee games against Purdue, UK and North Carolina. This will also be the first season in which the team will host Division I non-conference home games.
|Northern Kentucky (Independent) (1971–1985)|
|1977–1978||Mote Hils||20–8||NCAA First Round|
|Northern Kentucky (Great Lakes Valley Conference) (1985–2012)|
|1988–1989||Ken Shields[Note 1]||17–11||8–8||T–4th|
|1994–1995||Ken Shields||25–4||16–2||T–1st||NCAA Sweet Sixteen|
|1995–1996||Ken Shields||25–7||15–5||2nd||NCAA Runner-up|
|1996–1997||Ken Shields||30–5||16–4||T–1st||NCAA Runner-up|
|1997–1998||Ken Shields||23–7||15–3||2nd||NCAA Second Round|
|1999–2000||Ken Shields||26–7||16–4||3rd||NCAA Second Round|
|2000–2001||Ken Shields||27–7||15–5||3rd||NCAA Sweet Sixteen|
|2005–2006||Dave Bezold||17–11||12–7||2nd (East)|
|2006–2007||Dave Bezold||24–9||13–6||1st (East)|
|2007–2008||Dave Bezold||21–8||14–5||T–1st (East)|
|2008–2009||Dave Bezold||24–7||14–4||1st (East)||NCAA First Round|
|2009–2010||Dave Bezold||17–13||8–10||4th (East)|
|2010–2011||Dave Bezold||21–9||12–6||T–3rd (East)||NCAA Second Round|
|2011–2012||Dave Bezold||23–7||13–5||2nd (East)||NCAA First Round|
|Northern Kentucky (Atlantic Sun Conference) (2012–present)|
National champion Conference regular season champion Conference tournament champion
- Totals updated through the end of the 2012–2013 school year.
The Bank of Kentucky Center opened in 2008 and serves as the home arena for the NKU Norse men's and women's basketball teams. The 9,200-seat, multi-purpose arena replaced the 1,800-seat Regents Hall, which had served as the home venue since opening in 1973. Regents Halls still serves as the home of women's volleyball and the practice facility for men's and women's basketball.
- Ken Shields of Northern Kentucky University is not the same person as the Canadian basketball coach by the same name.
- Russell, Shannon (October 24, 2004). "Bezold living his dream as NKU basketball coach". Cincinnati Enquirer. Retrieved December 24, 2011.
- "Men's Basketball Team History". Northern Kentucky University. 2010-11. Retrieved December 23, 2011.
- "Fun in the Atlantic Sun". =Northern Kentucky University. December 8, 2011. Retrieved December 24, 2011.
- "Men's Basketball Archives: 1971". Northern Kentucky University. Retrieved December 23, 2011.
- "NCAA Men's Basketball Championship Tournament Records and Statistics: Division II men's basketball Championship". NCAA. 2010. Retrieved December 24, 2011.
- AP Staff (December 9, 2011). "NKU jumps to Division I conference, talking with Ohio State about basketball game". The Republic. Retrieved December 24, 2011.
- "Regents Hall". Northern Kentucky University. Retrieved December 24, 2011.