Northern Lights (online game)
|Developer(s)||Anna "Vitastjern" Eklund, Gjermund "Nicknack" Sørseth, project community|
Northern Lights, abbreviated NL, is a MUD, a text-based online role-playing game, founded in 1992 by Anna "Vitastjern" Eklund. It has at times been noted as a particularly large and popular example of its type, and has received critical praise.
NL 's tagline is "The AberMUD at Ludd", reflecting its long-time hosting with the Luleå Academic Computer Society (Luleå Universitets Datorförening, hence LUDD) at the Luleå University of Technology in Sweden.
Northern Lights is an "adventure-based" MUD, with combat and questing the primary game activities. Socialization is minimal, though the process of becoming a wizard is rumored to be politically complex.
The MUD includes a tour to familiarize new users with gameplay.
NL has been praised for its "original zones" and "well-thought-out world".
Interactive Internet: The Insider's Guide to MUDs, MOOs, and IRC featured a wedding conducted between two player characters on Northern Lights, performed personally by Anna Eklund in her capacity as Goddess of the MUD.
- Bartle, Richard (2003). Designing Virtual Worlds. New Riders. p. 48. ISBN 0-13-101816-7.
- Eklund, Anna (2005-02-05). "Northern Lights - the AberMUD at Ludd". Northern Lights. Luleå Academic Computer Society. Retrieved 2010-09-14.
- Eklund, Anna (2001-02-18). "In The Beginning". Northern Lights. Luleå Academic Computer Society. Retrieved 2010-09-14.
- Benedikt, Claire Lisette; Ciskowski, Dave (1995). MUDs: Exploring Virtual Worlds on the Internet. BradyGames. p. 226. ISBN 1-56686-246-9. "Northern Lights [...] Much larger than the average AberMUD."
- Maloni, Kelly; Baker, Derek; Wice, Nathaniel (1994). Net Games. Random House / Michael Wolff & Company, Inc. pp. 102–103. ISBN 0-679-75592-6. "Northern Lights While consistently one of the most popular and stable AberMUDs on the Net, the flip side to Northern Lights ' large player base is that there are more players taking the treasures and solving the quests that you need to advance. With a heavy emphasis on questing and puzzle solving (it's a hard "run"), NL is not known as the most social of AberMUDs. Rumor has it that if you're looking to wiz, it can be a very political place. For those look for "a good run," NL is a tried-and-true favorite, with original zones and a well-thought-out world. Located in northern Sweden, it also may very well be the world's northernmost MUD. [...] Server: AberMUD"
- Shefski, William J. (1995). Interactive Internet: The Insider's Guide to MUDs, MOOs, and IRC. Prima Publishing. pp. 83–84, 100–102, 184–192. ISBN 1-55958-748-2.
- Mohta, Viraf D. (1996-12-18). The World Wide Web for Kids & Parents. John Wiley & Sons. p. 267. ISBN 0-7645-0098-8. "In this example, you're going to connect to the Northern Lights MUD, which is an adventure-based MUD. Type telnet://aber.luth.ludd.se:6715 [...]"