Northleach is a small Cotswold market town in Gloucestershire, England with a population of 1,854 according to the (2011 Census). It constitutes the major part of the civil parish of Northleach with Eastington.
Location and history
The town is close to the A40 main road, and the Fosseway, now the A429, The brook "the Leach" runs part-way through. The town was made wealthy by the medieval wool trade of the 15th century, and the main church is of impressive size and quality in reflection of this fact. The road which became the A40 ran through the town, and as the main road between Oxford and Cheltenham it contributed greatly to the town's development. The town was bypassed in the mid-1980s, only after vibration damage had been detected in some of the fine 15th - 18th century houses on the main road.
The town has three pubs: The Sherborne Arms, The Red Lion Inn, and The Wheatsheaf Inn. There is also a popular wine bar (The Ox House Wine Company) in the market square, a Sports and Social Club, a Snooker and Billiards club, a Mechanical Music museum, art and antique shops, a butchers, a bakers, a takeaway, a wine bar and other retail shops.
Sporting traditions and amenities
The town also has a cricket club, consisting of a first eleven, second eleven, junior team and ladies team.
The town also has teams for darts, skittles, snooker and pool, running and a tennis club. The majority of the clubs use the Northleach Pavilion, the Snooker Club is on the ground floor of the Cotswold hall and the Westwood Community Centre has a number of sports activities.
Northleach Primary School is one of the few Gloucestershire primary schools with its own swimming pool (outdoor). The pool is open to the public for a small charge over the summer holidays.
From 1589 to 1904 and from 1927 to 1988, Northleach had Westwood's Grammar School, named after its founder Hugh Westwood and now demolished. The westwood community centre now stands there. "Fallows" (a road nearby) honours a recent Headmaster.
- David Verey, Gloucestershire: the Cotswolds, The Buildings of England edited by Nikolaus Pevsner, 2nd ed. (1979) ISBN 0-14-071040-X, p. 338-343
- "Westwood's Grammar School". Gloucestershire Archives. The National Archives. 1842–1972. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- Carlisle, Nicholas (1818). "North Leach". A Concise Description of the Endowed Grammar Schools in England and Wales, Band 1. Baldwin, Cradock and Joy. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- Northleach with Eastington Town Council
- Photos of Northleach and surrounding area on geograph
- Map sources for Northleach
- BBC archive film of Northleach from 1986
- Northleach at DMOZ