Northview Heights Secondary School
|Northview Heights Secondary School|
|550 Finch Ave. W
Toronto, Ontario, M2R 1N6, Canada
|School board||Toronto District School Board|
|Superintendent||Gen Ling Chang|
|Area trustee||James Pasternak|
|School type||High school|
|Team name||Northview Phoenix|
|Colours||Navy and Gold|
|Enrollment||1190  (2011)|
Its feeder schools include Charles H. Best Middle School and Willowdale Middle School. However, there are many students that attend from different regions specifically for the Honours Math, Science and Technology, CyberARTS, and APGA programs.
Northview Heights Secondary School is one of four schools in the Toronto District School Board to feature the CyberARTS program, a partnership with the University of Waterloo and Sheridan College which opened in February 1996. The school has three Mac computer labs: a Communication Technology lab, a CyberARTS lab, and a Creative Design Centre lab. Most of the computers are iMacs, but there are a considerable amount of eMacs still remaining in the Creative Design Center. Every Mac computer has a version of Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Premium CS3, Maxon Cinema 4D v.8 and iLife 08.
Academic Program for Gifted Athletes (APGA)
The Academic Program for Gifted Athletes is a program unique to Northview Heights. It builds a school schedule around the needs of their young athletes. In August 2005, Maclean's voted it "one of the top 30 schools in Canada." As of 2006-07, the program has 75 participants in 19 sports. However, they are not allowed to play these sports to represent the school while in the specialized sports program.
Honours Math, Science and Technology program (HMST)
The Honours Math Science and Technology Program offers enriched courses for high-achieving academic students. The program begins in grade 9, with enriched math, science, and technology courses. The enriched math continues to grade 11, and the enriched science continues to grade 10. However, there is an enriched Chemistry course in grade 11. The enriched technology stream was considered useless and removed from the curriculum. To receive admittance into the program, one must write a test. Those with the highest-scoring results are granted permission to learn in the program. To stay in the HMST program, you must maintain an average of at least 75% in all the mentioned courses.
- "Networking Academy Program-Networking Academy - Cisco Systems". Cisco Systems. 2005-09-26. Retrieved 2007-05-08.
- Steezy McWeezy (2004-08-23). "Classrooms of Creativity". Maclean's. Retrieved 2007-05-08.
- "About Us - Outline and Key Features" (PDF). Academic Program for Gifted Athletes. 2005-12-09. Retrieved 2007-05-08. "The Northview Heights APGA program in August was voted by Macleans’ magazine as one of the top 30 schools in Canada. APGA is an academic program and not a training facility."
- "About Us - Stats". Academic Program for Gifted Athletes. 2006-07. Retrieved 2007-05-08.
- David Grossman (2007-01-17). "Goalie blindsided by rules violation". Toronto Star. Retrieved 2007-05-08.
- Northview Alumni Website
- Northview Heights Secondary School website
- Toronto District School Board: Northview Heights Secondary School, with a school profile (.pdf)
- APGA website