Northview High School (Dothan, Alabama)
|Northview High School|
|3209 Reeves Street
Dothan, Alabama, United States
|Type||Public high school|
|Color(s)||Cardinal & Vegas Gold|
Northview High School is a public co-educational institution encompassing 9th-12th grades. The high school is located in the southeastern portion of the state of Alabama in Dothan, Alabama and has the 36th largest high school student population in Alabama. The school won two football state titles during the 1980s.
Northview is part of a very active football tradition in the community and a strong football rivalry with crosstown Dothan High School. This was highlighted in a commencement speech First Lady Laura Bush gave at nearby Enterprise High School on May 31, 2008, when she mentioned Northview and Dothan as significant victories for Enterprise
In 2002, former University of Alabama head football coach Mike DuBose took over as head football coach at Northview High School. He had previously been named Southeastern Conference Coach of the Year for the Crimson Tide before poor seasons and personal controversy caused his firing in 2000. Dothan City school board members voted to hire DuBose, who came in with a wave of publicity and high expectations. However, the Cougars finished with an 0–10 record for the season and DuBose was gone at the end of the year.
This was part of a tumultuous period for Northview football, which saw 39 consecutive losses from 2000–2004. The team had won the Alabama State Playoff Championships in both 1981 and 1985, and made it to the playoffs 5 times during the 1990s.
- Lawrence Dawsey – All-American Football player from Florida State University and former NFL player (Tampa Bay) part of state championship at Northview in 1985
- Gabe Gross – college football and baseball at Auburn University and professional baseball player (Tampa Bay Rays)
- Kevin Jackson – All-American defensive back at Alabama in 1996
- Izell Reese – former NFL player
- Larry Roberts – former NFL player, part of state championship at Northview in 1981 and two Super Bowl Championships 1986 & 1993 (49er's)
- Clint Robinson, Current MLB player (Pittsburgh Pirates)
- Jamie Thomas – professional skateboarder and entrepreneur (dropped out before graduation)
Clubs and organizations
Northview High School also offers a wide variety of clubs including: Chemistry Club, Debate Club, Robo Club, First Priority, Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA), Interact, Interclub Council, Multicultural Club, Habitat For Humanity, Key Club, Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD), Choral Officers & Reps, Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA), Art Club, DECA, Jump, FCCLA, French Club, Future Teachers of America (FTA), Government Club, ROTC, Bible Discussion Group, Spanish Club, Drama Club, National Honor Society, Junior Class, Senior Class, Chess Club, and Student Government Association (SGA).
- Columbus Ledger-Enquirer (May 1, 2002). "DUBOSE LANDS AT NORTHVIEW HIGH SCHOOL". Associated Press. Retrieved June 13, 2008.
- Bush, Laura (May 30, 2008). "Mrs. Bush's Remarks in Enterprise High School Commencement Address". Retrieved June 13, 2008.
- Brasher, Bryan (19-OCT-02). "Starting again, former Tide coach DuBose vows to fight on.". Columbus Ledger-Enquirer. Retrieved June 13, 2008.
- ASHFHS.org. "Alabama High School Football Historical Society". ASHFHS.org. Retrieved June 13, 2008.
- "NHS Clubs and Organizations". Retrieved 9 August 2012.