Northwest Classen High School
|Northwest Classen High School|
|2801 Northwest 27th Street
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, 73107
|Opened||September 2, 1955|
|School district||Oklahoma City Public Schools|
|Student to teacher ratio||14.4|
|School colour(s)||Purple and Gold|
|Mascot||Bedivere - Knight of the Round Table|
|Nickname||Northwest Classen Knights|
|Average ACT scores||151 testers with an average composite of 16.7 (2010)|
|Website||Home of the Knights|
Northwest Classen High School is a public high school serving students in grades 9-12 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
Northwest Classen High School was built in 1955 to accommodate the growing population in the northwest corridor of Oklahoma City. Along with Classen School of Advanced Studies, it was named for Anton H. Classen, an early Oklahoma City real estate developer and philanthropist.
As the neighborhoods around Northwest Classen have changed, so has the cultural makeup of the campus. Initially an almost all-Caucasian school, the population has gradually become more multi-cultural. Today, the enrollment in the school is nearly an equal split of Hispanic, African American, and Caucasian students with almost 100 different races and cultures represented.
Northwest fields teams in Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Association-sanctioned competition in fast-pitch softball, football, cheerleading, cross country, volleyball, basketball, swimming/diving, wrestling, golf, soccer, and track.
|Name||Claim to Fame||Graduation Year|
|Mason Williams ||Recording Artist||1956|
|Edward Ruscha ||Artist||1956|
|William A. Martin ||Computer Scientist, Artificial Intelligence Pioneer||1956|
|Ronald Fagin ||Computer Scientist, Author of Fagin's theorem||1963|
|Lynne Hardin ||Chair, Oklahoma City Board of Education (2013 - present)||1964|
|Ron Norick ||Former mayor of Oklahoma City||1965|
|Elizabeth (Herring) Warren ||United States Senator from Massachusetts. Special Advisor to U.S. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner while establishing the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Professor, Harvard Law School.||1966|
|Kirk Humphreys ||Former Mayor of Oklahoma City||1968|
|Skip Bayless ||Sports Broadcaster||1970|
|J. Clifford Hudson ||chairman of the board and chief executive officer of Sonic Corp.||1973|
|Vince Gill ||Recording Artist||1975|
|Sean O'Grady ||World Boxing Association Lightweight Champion||1977|
|Brad Piccolo||Recording Artist (member of Red Dirt Rangers)||1979|
|Kevin Thornton ||Recording Artist (member of Color Me Badd)||1987|
|Bryan Abrams ||Recording Artist (member of Color Me Badd)||1988|
|Sam Watters ||Recording Artist (member of Color Me Badd)||1988|
|Mark Calderon ||Recording Artist (member of Color Me Badd)||1988|
|Darnell Jackson ||NBA Basketball Player||2003 (transferred)|
- "Geographic Names Information System Feature Detail Report". Geographic Names Information System. U.S. Geological Survey. 1979-12-18. Retrieved 2008-01-23.
- "Oklahoma Public High School Average ACT Scores: 2010 Graduates". Oklahoma State Department of Education. Retrieved 2011-08-30.
- "Northwest Classen High School". Oklahoma City Public Schools. Retrieved 2008-01-23.[dead link]
- "Classen High School History". Classen High School Alumni Association. Retrieved 2008-01-23.
- "OSSAA Schools Classification by Sport". Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Association. Archived from the original on 2007-12-10. Retrieved 2008-01-23.
- "What's New with Mason Williams". Mason Williams. Retrieved 2008-01-23.
- "Obituary". MIT. Retrieved 2008-09-13.
- "Ron Fagin's Site at Almaden Research Center". Retrieved 2010-04-14.
- "About Lynne Hardin". Retrieved 2013-02-14.
- Centrella, Heidi R. (2004). "Alumni Raising Funds for Northwest Classen High School". The Journal Record of Oklahoma City. Retrieved 2008-01-23.
- "Biographies of Oklahoma City Mayors". Oklahoma City. Retrieved 2008-09-14.
- "Elizabeth Warren: An Okie in Washington riles Wall Street". The Daily Oklahoman. 1 August 2010. Retrieved 29 September 2010.
- "Wall of Fame Honorees". The Foundation for Oklahoma City Public Schools. Retrieved 2008-09-14.
- "1973 graduates of Northwest Classen High School announce $500,000 donation to fund additional improvements of the school’s auditorium".
- "2007 Oklahoman of the Year". Oklahoma Today Magazine. Retrieved 2008-09-14.
- "Sean O'Grady Professional Profile". NAI Sullivan Group. Retrieved 2008-09-14.
- "Color Me Badd Official MySpace Profile". MySpace. Retrieved 2008-09-14.[dead link]
- "Darnell Jackson". Scout.com. Retrieved 2009-10-21.
- Official Website
- District site
- Alumni Association
- Facebook Page (Created by Alumni)
- Alumni/Faculty/Current Students' Community