Northwest Branch (CTA)
|Locale||Chicago, Illinois, U.S.|
|Opening||May 6, 1895|
|Closed||February 25, 1951|
|Operator(s)||Chicago Transit Authority (1947-1951)
Chicago Rapid Transit Company (1924-1947)
Metropolitan West Side Elevated Railroad (1895-1924)
|Track gauge||4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm)|
|Electrification||Third rail, 600 V DC|
The Northwest branch was a rapid transit line which was part of the Chicago 'L' system from 1895 to 1951. The Northwest branch fed the Humboldt Park and Logan Square branches. It opened on May 6, 1895 and closed on February 25, 1951, when it was replaced by the Milwaukee-Dearborn Subway.
The Northwest branch separated from the Metropolitan Main Line at the Marshfield Junction, just west of the Marshfield station. The Northwest branch divided into the Humboldt Park and Logan Square branches just northwest of the Damen station (originally called Robey).
Service began on the Northwest branch on May 6, 1895, with service as far as Robey Street (Damen Avenue). On May 25, 1895, service began on the Logan Square branch and on July 29, 1895, service began on the Humboldt Park branch. On February 25, 1951, the Milwaukee-Dearborn Subway began service, and service ended on the Northwest elevated branch south of the Damen Avenue station. The Logan Square branch was then replaced by the Milwaukee Avenue Route, which utilized the Milwaukee Avenue elevated of the Logan Square branch and the Milwaukee-Dearborn Subway. Service on the Humboldt Park branch ended on May 4, 1952.
Besides the section which was re-used for the Pink Line on the Paulina Connector, one other extant section remains a few blocks north at Paulina and Kinzie Streets, where the old overpass trestle has been re-used as a signaling assembly for the Milwaukee Road/Union Pacific Metra rail lines. All other traces of the former line have been removed.
|Station||Location||Points of interest and notes|
|Damen||Damen Avenue, North Avenue and Milwaukee Avenue||Opened as "Robey"|
|Division||Division Street and Paulina Street|
|Chicago||Chicago Avenue and Paulina Street|
|Grand||Grand Avenue and Paulina Street|
|Lake Street Transfer||Lake Street and Paulina Street||Opened as "Lake." Transfer to Lake Street.|
|Madison||1720 W. Madison Street||Closed February 25, 1951|
Logan Square branch
|Logan Square||Kedzie Boulevard and Linden Place|
|California||California Avenue and Lyndale Street|
|Western||Western Avenue, Cortland Street and Milwaukee Avenue|
- Paulina Connector Chicago "L".org. Accessed August 18, 2013
- Chicago Rapid Transit Company (1934). 'L' Map of Chicago (Map). http://www.chicago-l.org/maps/route/maps/1934map.jpg. Retrieved 2013-08-18.
- Logan Square Chicago "L".org. Accessed August 16, 2013
- Humboldt Park branch Chicago "L".org. Accessed August 16, 2013
- Chicago Transit Authority (1954). Chicago Transit Map (Map). http://www.chicago-l.org/maps/route/maps/1954map.jpg. Retrieved 2013-08-18.
- Chicago Rapid Transit Company (1946). Chicago Rapid Transit Map (Map). http://www.chicago-l.org/maps/route/maps/1946map.jpg. Retrieved 2013-08-18.
- Metropolitan West Side Elevated Railroad (1898). The Metropolitan West Side Elevated Railroad (Map). http://www.chicago-l.org/maps/route/maps/1898met-map.jpg. Retrieved 2013-08-18.