Northwestern Memorial Hospital
|Northwestern Memorial Hospital|
The Feinberg and Galter Pavilions of Northwestern Memorial Hospital
|Location||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Affiliated university||Northwestern University
Feinberg School of Medicine
|Emergency department||Level I trauma center|
|Lists||Hospitals in Illinois|
Northwestern Memorial Hospital (NMH) is the primary teaching hospital for Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine. It is the second tallest hospital in the United States and the fourth tallest hospital in the world. Along with its Prentice Women’s Hospital and Stone Institute of Psychiatry, the hospital provides a total of 894 inpatient beds and encompasses more than 3 million square feet of medical building space. Virtually every medical specialty is represented by the over 1,600 physicians on the medical staff at Northwestern Memorial who also carry faculty appointments with Feinberg.
Northwestern Memorial Hospital was ranked as the best hospital in Chicago according to the 2010 U.S. News & World Report America's Best Hospitals report and ranked among the best in the nation in 13 specialties: neurology and neurosurgery(#12); heart (cardiology) and cardiac surgery (#16); gynecology (#16); orthopaedics (#17); rheumatology (#18); digestive disorders (gastroenterology) (#18); diabetes and endocrinology (#18); urology (#20); cancer (oncology) (#21); otolaryngology (#28); geriatrics (#29); pulmonology (#30); and nephrology (kidney disorders) (#31); In the 2012-2013 US News and World Report list of "Honor Roll" Hospitals, listing the top 17 medical centers in the United States, Northwestern Memorial Hospital was ranked 12th and first in Illinois.
More than 2,100 clinical research studies took place at Northwestern Memorial during fiscal year 2010. Research awards for Feinberg totaled $346 million and researchers filed 70 invention disclosures in fiscal year 2010. Current clinical trials are being conducted in the following areas: AIDS, cancer, cardiovascular disease, dermatology, diabetes, gastroenterology, genetics (stem cell research), mental health, neurology, obstetrics and gynecology, rheumatology & immunology, sleep disorders, organ transplantation, and weight loss.
Northwestern Memorial Hospital was created September 1, 1972 by the consolidation of two of Chicago’s oldest established hospitals – Passavant Memorial (founded 1865) and Wesley Memorial (founded 1888).
In 1994, construction began on a new 2-million square foot facility on the block bordered by Fairbanks Court, St. Clair, Huron and Erie Streets. On May 1, 1999, the 17-story Feinberg Pavilion and 22-story Galter Pavilion opened. A model facility for healthcare providers, hundreds of local, national and international tour groups visit Northwestern Memorial Hospital each year.
Community Health 
Northwestern Memorial is Chicago's only academic medical center participating in city and state Level I trauma networks and as a Level III neonatal intensive care unit. The hospital's partnership with Erie Family and Winfield Moody Family Health Centers and the Lawson House YMCA has improved access to health care to communities in need and the homeless. The hospital reports it provided community benefit contributions totaling $276.7 million in 2010, including $44 million for charity care.
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital - Chicago
- Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
- Current Clinical Trials at Northwestern Medicine
- Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute
- Prentice Women's Hospital
- Kovler Organ Transplant Center
- Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center
- "Northwestern Medicine". Retrieved August 30, 2011.
- "Best Hospitals in Chicago". US News & World Report. Retrieved 30 August 2011.
- "Best Hospitals 2010-11". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 30 August 2011.
- "About Us - History Timeline - Northwestern Memorial Hospital - Chicago". Retrieved August 30, 2011.
- Chicago Sun-Times http://www.suntimes.com/business/roeder/6229030-452/northwestern-university-can-save-prentice-womens-hospital-if-it-tries.html
|url=missing title (help).
- "Community Matters - Our Health Partners - Northwestern Memorial Hospital". Retrieved August 30, 2011.
- Bergen, Kathy (August 17, 2011). "Illinois Department of Revenue denies tax exemptions for 3 hospitals". Chicago Tribune (Chicago Tribune). Retrieved August 30, 2011.