Northwestern Polytechnic University
|Northwestern Polytechnic University|
|President||Dr. George Hsieh|
|Location||Fremont, California, USA|
|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (February 2010)|
The school, founded in 1984, awards Bachelor's, Master's and Doctorate degrees in science, technology and management. The university is one among a small group of polytechnic universities in the United States which tend to be primarily devoted to the instruction of technical arts and applied sciences.
The NPU campus is situated in a high-technology, in the midst of numerous corporations and information technology companies.
The campus buildings house the classrooms and meeting rooms; administrative and faculty offices; the library and reading rooms; several electronics, communications, database, and simulation laboratories; as well as other student facilities. NPU has student housing available in the university dormitories located within walking distance of the campus.
Northwestern Polytechnic University (NPU) was founded by Dr. Ramsey Carter and Dr. Barbara Brown on January 2, 1984 and incorporated as a California nonprofit, public-benefit institution. Responding to strong demand in Silicon Valley for qualified engineers, the School of Engineering began granting Bachelor of Science degrees in electrical engineering in November 1984, followed by the Master of Science in electrical engineering in 1985. NPU opened the Computer Systems Engineering programs at both the bachelor's and master's levels in 1987. February 23, 1989 marked a milestone for the university as NPU attained full institutional approval from the California Department of Education.
The School of Business was established in 1995, offering the Master of Business Administration and Bachelor of Business Administration and Information Sciences degrees. At the same time, the School of Engineering continued to expand its programs by offering bachelor's and master's degrees in Computer Science. In January 1998, the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS) accredited NPU to award bachelor's and master's degrees. In April 2005, ACICS accredited NPU to award two doctorate degree programs: Doctor of Business Administration and Doctor of Computer Engineering.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Northwestern Polytechnic University
- "Points of Distinction". Admissions & Outreach Office at Cal Poly Pomona. Retrieved 20 September 2012.
- Northwestern Polytechnic University homepage
- Ashley Becker, Northwestern Polytechnic Buys Fremont R&D Facility; United Principal Sells 47655 Warm Springs Blvd for $2.8 Million, CoStar Group, July 31, 2009
- Blanca Torres, Northwestern Polytechnic buys Mission Falls Business Park, San Francisco Business Times, April 8, 2010
- University grabs more space for expansion, San Francisco Business Times, January 21, 2011