Location of Norwalk, Iowa
|• Total||11.09 sq mi (28.72 km2)|
|• Land||10.74 sq mi (27.82 km2)|
|• Water||0.35 sq mi (0.91 km2)|
|Elevation||945 ft (288 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||9,411|
|• Density||832.9/sq mi (321.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0459658|
|Website||City of Norwalk|
Norwalk is a city in Polk and Warren counties in the U.S. state of Iowa. The population was 8,945 at the 2010 census. The city is part of the Des Moines–West Des Moines Metropolitan Statistical Area and is located just south of the Des Moines International Airport.
Norwalk's longitude and latitude coordinates in decimal form are 41.483403, -93.678515.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 11.09 square miles (28.72 km2), of which, 10.74 square miles (27.82 km2) is land and 0.35 square miles (0.91 km2) is water.
Norwalk holds the unofficial record for the largest amount of rainfall in a 24-hour period for any town in Iowa, with more than 9 inches falling June 9–10, 2011.
|Source:"American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. and Iowa Data Center|
As of the census of 2010, there were 8,945 people, 3,261 households, and 2,472 families residing in the city. The population density was 832.9 inhabitants per square mile (321.6/km2). There were 3,450 housing units at an average density of 321.2 per square mile (124.0/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 96.9% White, 0.5% African American, 0.2% Native American, 0.6% Asian, 0.4% from other races, and 1.3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.5% of the population.
There were 3,261 households of which 43.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.1% were married couples living together, 10.7% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.9% had a male householder with no wife present, and 24.2% were non-families. 20.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.70 and the average family size was 3.13.
The median age in the city was 34.3 years. 30.2% of residents were under the age of 18; 6.9% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 29.6% were from 25 to 44; 24.6% were from 45 to 64; and 8.7% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 48.4% male and 51.6% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,884 people, 2,344 households, and 1,903 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,049.2 people per square mile (405.2/km²). There were 2,382 housing units at an average density of 363.0 per square mile (140.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 97.75% White, 0.23% African American, 0.06% Native American, 0.57% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.41% from other races, and 0.94% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.34% of the population.
There were 2,344 households out of which 49.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.3% were married couples living together, 12.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 18.8% were non-families. 16.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.88 and the average family size was 3.22.
Age spread: 33.0% under the age of 18, 6.6% from 18 to 24, 33.6% from 25 to 44, 19.3% from 45 to 64, and 7.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 91.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $58,933, and the median income for a family was $64,653. Males had a median income of $37,571 versus $30,455 for females. The per capita income for the city was $21,895. About 1.8% of families and 2.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.6% of those under age 18 and 1.8% of those age 65 or over.
- Joel Hanrahan, pitcher in Major League Baseball
- Jason Momoa, played Ronon Dex in Stargate Atlantis, Khal Drogo in Game of Thrones, and Conan the Barbarian
- Brandon Routh, played Superman in Superman Returns
Riley Mays- Professional Hockey player for the pittsburgh penguins
The Minneapolis-based band We Are the Willows has a song on their first full-length album A Collection Of Sounds And Something Like The Plague titled "Norwalk, Iowa".
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- The History of Warren County, Iowa: Containing a History of the County, Its Cities, Towns, &c, Volume 1. Higginson Book Company. 1879. p. 502.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Finney, Daniel (Jun 10, 2011). "Record rainfall swamps Des Moines area". Des Moines Reigster.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Norwalk, Iowa.|
- Norwalk Community Web Site
- City of Norwalk
- Norwalk Chamber of Commerce
- Norwalk Community School District
- City-Data Comprehensive Statistical Data and more about Norwalk
-  Norwalk Christian Church, Dayna Kinkade, senior pastor