Norwalk Township, Huron County, Ohio
|Norwalk Township, Ohio|
Location of Norwalk Township (red) in Huron County, next to the city of Norwalk (yellow).
|• Total||18.3 sq mi (47.4 km2)|
|• Land||18.3 sq mi (47.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||768 ft (234 m)|
|• Density||201.5/sq mi (77.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086353|
Norwalk Township is one of the nineteen townships of Huron County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 3,685 people in the township, 3,265 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located on the northern edge of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Milan Township, Erie County - north
- Berlin Township, Erie County - northeast corner
- Townsend Township - east
- Hartland Township - southeast corner
- Bronson Township - south
- Peru Township - southwest corner
- Ridgefield Township - west
- Oxford Township, Erie County - northwest corner
Two municipalities are located in Norwalk Township: most of the city of Norwalk — the county seat of Huron County — occupying the majority of the township, and part of the village of Milan in the north.
Name and history
It is the only Norwalk Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Huron County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.