Norwalk Youth Symphony
The Norwalk Youth Symphony (NYS) is an American symphony orchestra for students in middle school and high school based in Norwalk, Connecticut. Established in 1956, the symphony includes students from Connecticut and some parts of New York. In Norwalk, the NYS performs at Norwalk City Hall 3 times per year. The NYS has performed at the Stamford Town Center, Carnegie Hall, Tanglewood, and the United Nations. The NYS has also performed outside of the United States in such countries as the Czech Republic, Austria, Hungary, and Italy.
The NYS consists of five orchestras, with current conductors as follows:
- Principal Orchestra: Conductor, Jonathan Yates. This is the most advanced group, performing advanced and demanding music that is not usually performed by students.
- Concert Orchestra: Conductor, Richard Brooks. This orchestra is made up of advanced/intermediate students that still need time to develop their skills prior to moving into the Principal orchestra.
- Philharmonia Orchestral Winds: Conductor, Carly Kulawitz. This is a woodwind/brass orchestra that is often the beginning level for most wind/ brass players.
- Philharmonia Orchestral Strings: Conductor, Jessica McNamara. This is a string orchestra that offers harder and more challenging music and prepares players for Concert Orchestra.
- Prelude Orchestra: Conductor, Susan Jimenez. This is a string orchestra that is often the beginning level for most string players when entering into the orchestra.
Past conductors/music directors have included Miguel Harth-Bedoya.
|This article about a United States classical music orchestra is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|