Norwest Venture Partners
|Total assets||$5 billion |
Number of employees
Norwest Venture Partners (NVP) is a global venture and growth equity investment firm.
Norwest Venture Partners traces its roots back to 1961 with the formation of the Northwest Venture Fund, a private equity and venture capital affiliate of Norwest, a midwestern bank based in Minneapolis that merged with Wells Fargo in 1998.  In the late 1950s and early 1960s, Minneapolis was an early site for both venture capital and high technology business:
-The VC industry was active with the formation of the first Small Business Investment Company (SBIC) and First Midwest Capital Corporation. -In 1957, Control Data Corporation, a pioneering supercomputer company, was founded by William Norris. Two years later Norris was instrumental in the formation of the Northwest Growth Fund and the firm was active in the Minneapolis high tech industry.
|History of private equity
and venture capital
|(Origins of modern private equity)|
|(Leveraged buyout boom)|
|(Leveraged buyout and the venture capital bubble)|
|(Dot-com bubble to the credit crunch)|
The Northwest Growth Fund grew under the leadership of CEO Robert Zicarelli including the opening of an office in Silicon Valley. Zicarelli retired in 1988 and was succeeded by Daniel Haggerty who retired in the 1990s. George J, Still, Jr. and Promod Haque took over as Managing Partners in 1994.
NVP has funded Lending Club, Blue Jeans Network, MobileIron, Lumosity, FireEye, RetailMeNot, Verio, Web.com, Jigsaw, Rackspace, Persistent Systems, Cerent, Documentum, AdMeld, Clairmail, PeopleSoft, Polycom, Shape Security and Tivoli Systems (acquired by IBM).
The firm’s U.S. investment team includes Robert Abbott, Sonya Brown, Jeffrey Crowe, Casper de Clercq, Vab Goel, Joshua Goldman, Promod Haque, Matthew Howard, Dr. Ryan A. Harris, Jon Kossow, Sergio Monsalve and George J. Still, Jr. The firm’s India investment team and advisors include Promod Haque, Niren Shah, Sohil Chand and Mohan Kumar. Dror Nahumi focuses on investments in Israel.
- Norwest Raises $1.2 Billion in Venture Capital. DealBook, May 13 2014.
- Richard Florida (Carnegie Mellon University) and Martin Kenney (Ohio State University). Venture Capital and High Technology Entrepreneurship. Elsevier Science Publishing Co, 1988
- EXECUTIVE CHANGES: Norwest Venture Capital Management. New York Times, November 28, 1988
- * Oracle closes PeopleSoft acquisition
- Cisco Systems to acquire Cerent Corporation
- Promod Haque Forbes Midas List 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001
- Matthew Howard - Forbes Midas List 2008, 2007, 2006
- NVP - Our Story
- Norwest Venture Partners forms new early-stage fund. San Jose Business Journal, April 17, 2006
- Saving Yipes. Forbes, July 17, 2002
- Old Money Chasing the New; Seeing Windfalls, Big Banks Finance Start-Ups Again. New York Times, December 24, 1999
- Norwest Venture Partners (company website)