|Town of Norwood, Colorado|
Location in San Miguel County and the state of Colorado
|Incorporated (town)||August 20, 1903|
|• Type||Statutory Town|
|• Total||0.3 sq mi (0.7 km2)|
|• Land||0.3 sq mi (0.7 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||7,011 ft (2,137 m)|
|• Density||1,460/sq mi (625.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Mountain (MST) (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|ZIP code||81423 (PO Box)|
|GNIS feature ID||0186059|
Norwood is located at (38.131077, -108.291478).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 438 people, 195 households, and 112 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,709.7 people per square mile (650.4/km²). There were 258 housing units at an average density of 1,007.1 per square mile (383.1/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 97.49% White, 1.60% Native American, 0.23% from other races, and 0.68% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.48% of the population.
There were 195 households out of which 27.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.6% were married couples living together, 6.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 42.1% were non-families. 35.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.25 and the average family size was 2.92.
In the town the population was spread out with 24.4% under the age of 18, 10.0% from 18 to 24, 32.0% from 25 to 44, 25.3% from 45 to 64, and 8.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 105.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.9 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $39,375, and the median income for a family was $50,313. Males had a median income of $33,750 versus $22,813 for females. The per capita income for the town was $19,687. None of the families and 5.6% of the population were living below the poverty line, including no under eighteens and 20.6% of those over 64.
- Outline of Colorado
- State of Colorado
- San Juan Mountains
- "Active Colorado Municipalities". State of Colorado, Department of Local Affairs. Retrieved 2007-09-01.
- "Colorado Municipal Incorporations". State of Colorado, Department of Personnel & Administration, Colorado State Archives. 2004-12-01. Retrieved 2007-09-02.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Town of Norwood website
- Norwood Chamber of Commerce
- Norwood Post Newspaper
- The Watch Newspaper
- News report on the controversy